What's new

3D Blu-ray Review House of Wax: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I was thinking the same thing all evening -- go back and watch Creature again, but then return to House of Wax again. Compare and contrast. Get it under my belt.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Johnny Angell said:
I have just watched HoW and the movie is great and the 3D is better. I immediately noticed how deep the "D" was. This is extreme 3D and that is meant to be a complement. There is dimensionality is just about every single scene. When the opening credits were playing, I immediately noticed the the street really had depth.

On my Samsung 55" ES7100 I saw no ghosting. I suppose there could have been some but I became to immersed in the movie to notice any. Any ghosting would have been minor. BTW, my Samsung is still on its factory settings.

I enjoyed the obvious shots, the paddle-ball man, the can-can dancers. Otherwise the 3D was only noticeable because it was so good. I'm very happy with this release.

There was something I've never noticed before. When we see Vincent Price in the grotesque makeup, he has a stooped, somewhat crippled walk. When he gets up out of his wheel chair, looking quite handsome, he walks without a limp. In fact, I don't think he limped again in the movie. Was that an over site, that the disability wasn't continued, or a deliberate choice?

Women sure did faint easily in those days, didn't they? :)

I believe if modern 3D movies were as dimensional as HoW, they'd be more popular both in the theater and at home.

Now I'm going to have to watch CFTBL again and see how it compares to HoW. It's been a few months and I don't remember it being as good as HoW and I loved the 3D in Creature.

Great job WB!
When people come on here and say they remember how a film looked in detail thirty, forty, or fifty years ago, I have a hard time believing it. However, I do remember that opening credits/street scene from the early 1970s House Of Wax re-release. It looked fantastic. If the BD looks anything like that - wow!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Hermes said:
When people come on here and say they remember how a film looked in detail thirty, forty, or fifty years ago, I have a hard time believing it. However, I do remember that opening credits/street scene from the early 1970s House Of Wax re-release. It looked fantastic. If the BD looks anything like that - wow!
Same here!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Steve Tannehill said:
I'm expecting no ghosting on my DLP display. Glad you enjoyed the 3d.My favorite 3d effect is when Charles Bronson runs into the scene from behind the camera. Very startling on the big screen.
I forgot how creepy Bronson/Igor was in this film.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Robert Crawford said:
I forgot how creepy Bronson/Igor was in this film.
Even though I had seen HoW many times in 2D, I wasn't prepared for the 3D shock effect where Mr. "Buchinsky" comes flying into the scene (you'll know it when you see it). This actually made me jump!

Just imagine what the screams from the audience must have been like back in 1953!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
John Hermes said:
I can be positive about this recollection: I'm not sure if I ever saw HoW in 3D before last night. :) I would have been less than 10 if I did. I can also positively say the 3D I saw last night is stunning.

BTW, over in the the blu-ray price drops thread, CFTBL is showing a current price of $13 for the 3D version. Damn, it makes me want to buy it again. :) The Mummy and The Invisible Man are selling for $13. Can't beat that.

Vance5157

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
Great review - I loved the links. Looks like I'll be able to fully enjoy this classic 3D film - I have an ultra HD passive 3D TV (Sony's XBR). I selected it specifically for it's stunning 3D performance (yes, I too am a 3D addict).
I never cared for 3D switching technology - too many timing error issues creating ghosting, brightness loss along with other artifacts.
I'm glad your using equipment that is capable of reproducing accurately what is on the 3D blu-ray. Too many 3D reviews use TV's not up to the task (typically plasmas), which degrades the 3D review conclusions creating the impression that the 3D blu-ray isn't very good. Sad. BTW, I saw the original film back in 1953 - it was stunning (and better than most 3D theater presentations I see today).

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
The print is too nice. I prefer watching a faded print with Japanese subtitles.

Just kidding. This is gorgeous and the 3D looks fantastic. Nice job, Warners. Now how about Kiss Me Kate and Phantom of the Rue Morgue?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Todd J Moore said:
The print is too nice. I prefer watching a faded print with Japanese subtitles.

Just kidding. This is gorgeous and the 3D looks fantastic. Nice job, Warners. Now how about Kiss Me Kate and Phantom of the Rue Morgue?
Those would certainly be my next two choices from them (unless they want to give us Hondo in 3D).

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Even though I had seen HoW many times in 2D, I wasn't prepared for the 3D shock effect where Mr. "Buchinsky" comes flying into the scene (you'll know it when you see it). This actually made me jump!
That was a really cool effect when I saw it at a theater a few years ago- it really looked like he was coming up into the screen from the front row. Sadly this effect didn't work on my Sharp TV though- one of its faults is that the ghosting is worse in the very bottom portion of the screen. Hopefully the next generations of TVs will have less ghosting if not none at all.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I finally re-watched Creature from the Black Lagoon last night. I watched with the intent to compare the quality of the 3D to HoW. They are hard movies to compare. One is color, one is black and white. One is mostly interior scenes and the other mostly exterior and underwater scenes. One (CFTBL) is one of my personal favorites of all time, while the other is a movie I "merely" like very much.

My initial reaction while watching Creature is the 3D is HoW is better, that HoW has more depth and also has some very good in-your-face moments. The more I watched Creature the more I had to rethink the initial impression. Creature has plenty of depth and the underwater scenes are fabulous. Oh how I wished Creature was in color, that would have made the 3D even better.

It is really difficult for me to say which has the better 3D, so I've decided to pick my personal winner by flipping a coin. So here goes ......... drum roll please ................. Well waddya know, the damn coin landed on its edge! It's a tie. :P

If were maintaining a list of best 3D movies, I know I'd have both CFTBL and HoW in the top ten. :3dglasses:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Reed Grele said:

Just imagine what the screams from the audience must have been like back in 1953!
When they played a revival of this back in the 70s, in a theater full of kids and adults, it scared me too! I thought someone in the row in front of me had jumped up from the floor and right into the screen. Ah, the joy of seeing it on the big screen where it was meant to be seen.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Watch HOUSE O WAX last night reeeeeeally enjoyed the presentation! Hope we might see another classic soon. My votes: KISS ME KATE or IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE....oh heck....how about both.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Dick said:
It may be true that Warner Bros. made this the best 3-D disc possible, but then I have to ask: why does THE CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, another classic from that same era, look resplendent on my t.v., with almost no ghosting, but the Warner releases are riddled with it? Has this something to do with differences in the original camera and projection process? I'm lost here.
I believe that, luckily, CREATURE was tweaked a bit so that it would look great on most ALL displays, as opposed to only the few who have DLP setups. I'd wager that the 3-D Blu-ray of DIAL M FOR MURDER is unwatchable on the majority of 3-D setups (passive 3-D setups have had severe ghosting problems too, not just active), and that CREATURE looks great on most all of them.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
IMG_0257.JPG
Here's a photo from January 2012 of my then-89-year-old Mom watching "Disney's A Christmas Carol" in 3D on my Sony laptop. She thoroughly enjoyed it, and I've yet to have a bad experience watching a 3D Blu-Ray on it. My Mom saw "House Of Wax" in 3D in a theatre back in the Fifties, and when we watched it on DVD a few years ago, she kept pointing out parts that were memorable in three dimensions. My movie buddy Mom passed away in March of this year. I wish I could have shared this new Blu-Ray with her. It is absolutely great.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
To me this is an outstanding release. I did not experience any ghosting as I did in Dial M. I am very pleased an thank you to WHV for this release. Let's have more.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Dial 'M' for Murder will be the first 3D disc I try on my new BenQ W 7000 DLP projector when it arrives on Friday. If it can play this without any ghosting, then everything else should be fine.

House of Wax 3D had only minor ghosting viewed on my Panasonic PT-AE7000U. Creature From the Black Lagoon must have been tweaked as it has hardly any ghosting at all.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
I own all three 50s films and have a passive Vizio. No ghosting on any of them. Not one shot. And it's not like I never see ghosting on my TV. Spy Kids 3D, Adventures of Sharkboy and Lava Girl, and Amityville 3D all have ghosting in the gimmick shots.

GregK

Screenwriter
Jeffrey Nelson said:
I'd wager that the 3-D Blu-ray of DIAL M FOR MURDER is unwatchable on the majority of 3-D setups (passive 3-D setups have had severe ghosting problems too, not just active), and that CREATURE looks great on most all of them.
Not true. I've talked to a number of people with passive display 3-D sets, and not one has had "severe ghosting issues" that you allude to with DIAL M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks