What's new

House, M.D. ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Didnt think of the angle of Chi needing treatment from House. That would be interesting and ironic.

And the acting in the "do you like me" scene was really good.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I really liked this episode. The best of the series so far from my stand though I've missed several along the way.

I saw the "Do you like me" question more as direct personal question and not as a invitation to a relationship. I thought it very much in line with many of the conversations with Epps in particular about why House constantly poked/prodded/berated him at every turn. I took it more as Cameron's turn to have a direct confrontation with House. What I really liked was the refusal to expound once he said "No." I kept waiting for typical "But I respect you as a Doctor" or the line that came later "But then I don't like anybody" or some other such cliche to soften the obviously intended haymaker to the young Doctor's ego, but that wouldn't fit House's personality. I see it more as House's attempt to get these young MD's to stop thinking about things other than the patient's disease and to quit playing personal/politcal games either to make themselves look better or to avoid hurting other people's feelings (Doctors or Patients). Sometimes it's just best in House's world (and quickest to make a point) to call somebody a liar to their face rather than going around the world to avoid a direct confrontation.

The cutting problem is a increasingly common psych/emotional problem that seems to show up largely in females and is extremely common (nearly epidemic in some circles) these days in Adolescent girls with depression. I've heard explanantions anywhere from distracting the cutter from other problems by using physical pain (similar to guys who are mad punching a wall), improving the depressed mindset from the release of endorphin compounds directly into the brain like many drugs, deflection of selfhatred into a physical pain ("I'm Alive because I hurt" or a variation of psychosomatic symptoms), selfscarring as an antidote to the Physical Beauty standards though ironically many of these girls are major players in the Group Think/Fashionista circle . Once discovered and outed it's becomes a major parental/significant other point of contention and some girls seem to use it as a "In your Face -- see you can't control me" issue.

The Self Cutting/Eating Disorder combo is seen these days in just about any group of teen/young adult and even preteen girls and often associated with Depression/Anxiety/OCD. It is rather common in the axis with the High Achiever/Anorexic Girls possibly as another Control Issue.

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
As a father of two (little still) girls, that whole cutting thing is scary as shit.

Please don't respond to this, it's way off topic.

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator

I think I read somewhere (TV Guide maybe?) that Chi McBride is scheduled for 5 episodes, so it looks like it'll run for a little while anyway .....

Bryan

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
I thought this was an awesome episode, easily one of the best in the series. We even got to see a second appearance of a former 24 star; how long you think it'll be before Xander Berkeley's a patient? Also, surprised nobody mentioned this, but it was revealed Cuddy and House had been previously intimately involved! Not too sure where they're going with the Chi McBride angle, and I never cared too much for ER, so this is somewhat new to me, hopefully they can craft it into something much more engaging and fresh.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I am new to this show, but the Cuddy/House relationship thing was both a surprise and not a surprise. If they had not had a relationship before, I can see them heading towards a fling sometime soon. The hate relationship between them is breeding some lust i think.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I love how people declare things "cliched" and failed after one episode. My cats adjust to change better than some of the members of this forum. ;) How about we see how the new guy works out before we declare the show DOA or (speaking of cliches) trot out that idiot phrase "jumped the shark"?

The comments on the new administrator remind me of the complaints (mostly sight unseen) about the new assistant on Monk - who, it turns out, has made the show better.

The fact of a chairman of the board (who is not the same as a hospital administrator - who is in charge of day-to-day operations) will only be a cliche if they write and play the relationship in a stereotypical way. If they do something different and original with the character then the job he happens to hold doesn't matter.

(The 5 episode business may only reflect the fact that the show hasn't been officially renewed for another season, or because the producers want to see how the audience reacts to the character, not because he is part of a limited arc with a per-determined end point.)

I say let's give it a couple of weeks before we decide the sky is falling

And I tend to think the "do you like me" business was indeed her way of asking if House might have any romantic interest in her without quite asking. And his "No" was his way of slamming the door for a variety of reasons - one of which is the fact that he absolutely would be interested if he thought it were a) possible and b) appropriate. (If you want to compare an element of this show to another I'd suggest that House's reaction here is similar to Gil Grissom's reaction to Sara Seidel's much more obvious overtures in the episode "Butterflied" on CSI. Another middle aged man caught up in a one-sided flirtation by an attractive subordinate. House, of course, is much more brutal in nipping things in the bud. Grissom can be dense about some things, but he's not deliberately cruel. ;))

Regards,

Joe

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
And House's blunt cruelty and brutal truth is what makes him such an interesting character to watch too.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Absolutely. And that's part of what makes House and Grissom different. It is also why a situation by itself, or a plot point, does not necessarily a cliche make. Put two different characters in the same situation and the outcome will be different for each if they are written well. Who they are will shape their response to the situation, and therefore the result.

Regards,

Joe

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
3/22/05 "Mob Rule"

This show continues to deliver the funny and the pathos, week after week.

Looks like I was right in Cameron's intentions when she asked House if he liked her. Loved it when Forman was giving Cameron crap for her feelings for House.

Danny Nucci (10-8, Snoops) gets some guest-star love in this episode.

Vogler seems a little too eager to get rid of House. Cuddy must also have it bad for House to stick her neck out on the line for his continual presence at the hospital.

House's treatment of the kid who kept sticking stuff up his nose was pretty funny.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Glad House kept the car :emoji_thumbsup: I love this show, its quickly becoming one of my favorites. I just wish they would switch up the formula. you know, the "its 40 minutes into the show, they think they solved the patients ailments, cause hes getting better, then all of a sudden, some unexpected symptom happens and now the patient is worse off than before."

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Good episode. The funniest part to me was House showing up with his white coat on. And who will he have to fire next week?

"You know the 65 model came with a shut up button?"

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
For such a high number, Im surprised that not a lot of HTF-ers are chiming in at this thread more often

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think you could put "Life on a Stick" behind American Idol, and it'd get 15 million residual viewers. :)

Mark Leiter

Second Unit
I really have been enjoying this show as well. It is one of only three shows i currently record every week, the others...

Battlestar Galactica and Inside the Actors Studio

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks