What's new

Hotel-Season 1 will finally be released on DVD(21st July) (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
How well is Hotel: The First Season selling? I hope the second season does come out. If it does I'm guessing it will likely come out before spring next year.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Joe, look at the Brits, they had 'Allo 'Allo and other shows making fun of the Nazis, it's almost a tradition there. And the thing is they're making fun of them not laughing with them, like the exploits of serial killers and gangsters. My two cents on this anyway, it's a thin line alright.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Allo Allo came out how many years after Hogan's Heroes? Nearly 15 years. And Hogan wasn't always using the Mazis as objects of complete ridicule. You didn't laugh with Sgt. Shultz when he said, "I see nothing!" Or Col. Klink fearful of getting shipped to the Eastern front? sure there was no laughter with Joseph Ruskin. But there was when Klink kept thinking he could pull one over on Gen Bulkarter (SP). Schultz and Klink are sympathetic characters.

Have you seen either Dexter or the Sopranos or are you basing your opinion on your expectations of each series?

Far as Hotel sales - the recent amazon sales numbers:

The Lucy Show is #319
Love Boat #882
Hotel is #2,651

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I've seen enough to know it's not my taste, think it's overrated much of it (like we have to like it just 'cuz it's new drama, yeah right), but you didn't comment on the glorification bit...

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow

I've seen enough to know it's not my taste, think it's overrated much of it (like we have to like it just 'cuz it's new drama, yeah right), but you didn't comment on the glorification bit...
which series are you talking about? both series remind us that charming and funny people can also kill you. If you can't see the comedy of when when Dexter had to kill his therapist (who was a serial killer) even though he was making progress with the guy; it probably isn't for you.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
This is always an interesting place. Half the people think there hasn't been an entertaining show since color TV started and the other half think anything more than three years old is "vintage" TV. I'm over 50 years old but I can enjoy Donna Reed and NCIS on the same night.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Montytc ">[/url]

This is always an interesting place. Half the people think there hasn't been an entertaining show since color TV started and the other half think anything more than three years old is "vintage" TV. I'm over 50 years old but I can enjoy Donna Reed and NCIS on the same night.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

I don't blame you for making that observation but imo, there's more exceptions to the rule here than it may appear at times.

I'm also over 50 and although the vast majority of my TV/DVD collection are pre-80's shows, I have several 80's and a few 90's and even 1 post-'00 set in the collection.

There's not been too much network shows after '96 that have looked good to me but I may check out a couple later since a lot of those have been released on DVD.
Jeff, I don't think there is anything wrong with someone using there free time and money any way they see fit, and certainly nobody should ever watch a TV program they don't enjoy. The thing that has caught my eye around here is the sharp cut-off so many people seem to have in regards to the various eras. Because of my age I tend to gravitate towards older TV shows and that seems natural to me, but having said that there have been many shows produced in the last twenty years that I enjoy a lot. Several of my all time favorites come from a more recent era
and it just seems strange I guess when people dismiss entire decades of TV as garbage.

One genre that I do think has went down hill badly is the sitcom. It has been a long time since I have seen one of those that I would consider a classic.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Aryn Leroux

The first week sales number were much better.
Maybe the fans bought the first season set in the week, with non-fans purchasing it afterwards. Maybe Shout! Factory could look at releasing the second season if Universal sub-license Hotel out?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Originally Posted by WaveCrest

Maybe the fans bought the first season set in the week, with non-fans purchasing it afterwards. Maybe Shout! Factory could look at releasing the second season if Universal sub-license Hotel out?
Are you sure that it's Universal that owns "Hotel"? I thought that it was Paramount/CBS that owned it ("Hotel" being an Aaron Spelling series).

Oh, and by the way, I pre-ordered my copy of it. I finished it just recently, and I really did enjoy it.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
If Paramount didn't have faith in it, which they seem to have, why did they do a complete season and not their unpopular split ones. Food for thought. I watched the pilot today, the sound is a little muddled and could've done with subtitles, but otherwise a fun watch. The normal episodes are much better though, so this way-too sappy Love Boat-like pilot isn't really an all too true indicator of what's to come. Anyway, it's a much better show than the terrible Dynasty, but many shows are of course.

Montytc

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim Montavon
I watched the Pilot and the first episode and enjoyed them. I didn't watch the show regularly back in the day, but I am going to charge on through this first season and see what I think.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by bmasters9

Are you sure that it's Universal that owns "Hotel"? I thought that it was Paramount/CBS that owned it ("Hotel" being an Aaron Spelling series).

Oh, and by the way, I pre-ordered my copy of it. I finished it just recently, and I really did enjoy it.
Sorry, my mistake. I had in my mind at the time I made the post that Universal released the first season on Region 1 DVD.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Originally Posted by WaveCrest

Sorry, my mistake. I had in my mind at the time I made the post that Universal released the first season on Region 1 DVD.
It happens. Don't worry about it. We've all made that mistake before.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I wrapped up my viewing of Hotel tonight with Disc 6. I tried to take my time viewing it over the last few weeks. Did anyone notice Michael Dorn working one of the desks in a couple episodes ? It is true that you really look forward to who is guest starring, as the opening credits go to reveal that. A very enjoyable romp & I can only hope we see more seasons released.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
i was going to buy Hotel, but, decided at the last moment to cancel my order. I have concerns with the network releasing 1st season then nothing. I have decided to focus on completing some of the series that are already released, like Goodtimes, Sanford & Son, Crime Story, Brady Bunch, Cheers, Star Trek Enterprise and a few others.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Originally Posted by younger1968

i was going to buy Hotel, but, decided at the last moment to cancel my order. I have concerns with the network releasing 1st season then nothing.
This is exactly why I pre-ordered-- to try to help boost the sales.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by bmasters9

This is exactly why I pre-ordered-- to try to help boost the sales.
Exactly. The more people who buy Hotel: The First Season, the better chance that we will see the second season and the remaining three seasons after that.

Were episodes of Hotel preceded by 30 second teasers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks