What's new

Hotel-Season 1 will finally be released on DVD(21st July) (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Originally Posted by Corey3rd

No subtitles - only Closed Captioned. The transfers look good. Not sure if they went back and did a highdef pass of the 35mm, but it looks about the same quality of the Love Boat DVDs.
I'm glad that it at least has CC. I'm not happy, however, that it does not have subtitles of any stripe. I was looking forward to having some kind of foreign-language subtitles, like the "Five-O" releases have had.

By the way, how did you determine the quality of the transfers? Did you get a preview edition of this release (a.k.a. a "screener" in movie lingo)?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I know that sarah douglas from falcon crest and superman 2 did a guest spot on hotel.. anyone know what episode or season it was from?

Jacob

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
The review copy for Hotel Season 1 is a copy of the upcoming boxet and not screener discs

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Originally Posted by Corey3rd

The review copy for Hotel Season 1 is a copy of the upcoming boxet and not screener discs
Oh. I just thought that any review copy of a DVD, whether of a movie or of a television release, was referred to as a screener. I stand humbly corrected.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Bat - Just checked Sarah Douglas' filmography on the IMDb, and it says she guest starred in an episode from Hotel's third season (Season 3, Episode 21) called "Hearts Divided". The character she played was called Stella Falco. Other guest stars in that episode included Ivor Barry, Frank Converse, Peter Frechette, Susan George, Stephen Lee, Sarah Jessica Parker and George Wallace.

The one thing I don't like with the new look of the forum is when the screen moves by itself up and down when you reply to a post or topic, or when you edit a post you've made. If like me you suffer with vertigo it's not nice. I have to look away from the screen when I submit a reply or edit a post I've made.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I own a fansite on sarah douglas at www.angelfire.com/ca4/sarahdouglas

Jacob

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Oh. I just thought that any review copy of a DVD, whether of a movie or of a television release, was referred to as a screener. I stand humbly corrected.[/COLOR]
There are screeners - normally they come on white labels and inside envelopes instead of the retail casing. Fox prefers to send stuff out in screener form.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Will there be a HTF review of Hotel: The First Season? I've pre-ordered it from PlayUSA and should hopefully get it in the post not long after it's released, depending on how fast it goes through customs (you can get charged for customs if the boxset is £18 and over).

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
It would be nice to get a look at a early review. I probably will not have this in my possession until late next week. As I am going to wait till tuesday to take advantage of the 25% off sale.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Will have to check that review out. PlayUSA posted my copy earlier this week. Should get it in the post in the next few days, depending on whether there are customs charges or not (you have to pay customs charges if a DVD or DVD boxset is £18 or more).

Edited by WaveCrest - 7/17/2009 at 09:54 pm GMT

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Ha! yes that review does not make the show sound very appetizing to say the least. But, that does not bother me in the slightest. Because say what you will about it. This is no more a time waster than 75% of the rubbish people cherish on the air today. This is Aaron Spelling while not at his best, still giving us an enjoyable romp in the manner he could only deliver. I think my set will arrive on mon/tues & I look forward to watching it.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Originally Posted by Aryn Leroux

Ha! yes that review does not make the show sound very appetizing to say the least. But, that does not bother me in the slightest. Because say what you will about it. This is no more a time waster than 75% of the rubbish people cherish on the air today. This is Aaron Spelling while not at his best, still giving us an enjoyable romp in the manner he could only deliver. I think my set will arrive on mon/tues & I look forward to watching it.
You're absolutely right about that. It, so far, is very enjoyable. The transfers, while having a little dirt and some specks in them, come off quite crisp, and make you feel like it's 1983 again. I've also seen a couple of video clips of the opening from YouTube, and while those are good, this DVD version adds more clarity and detail to the opening titles, just as if you were watching the series on ABC in 1983.

My last post, I should add, was not meant to discount the fact that Paul Mavis has the right to his opinion, as do we all.

Oh, and by the way, those other two reviews that you posted make me feel a little better already. Thanks a ton!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Oh, and by the way, one other thing about this-- while it does have the CBS Television Distribution logo on the end of the component episodes (at least, those that I've seen), it has a very different "CBS Home Entertainment" logo on disc startup. Though this release is branded on the spine as being from CBS DVD, the logo that comes up, while having the CBS DVD jingle, looks a whole lot different than the "globe and streaks" logo seen on releases of "Five-O," "Lucy," et al.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
What the first reviewer laments there, is precisely why I take oldtime TV over modern eye candy, why it beats the living crap out of what's on the box today. Yes, stories sometimes sucked badly (never as bad or boring as now), but the fine actors more than made up for it usually. Can't wait to dig into this set.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow

What the first reviewer laments there, is precisely why I take oldtime TV over modern eye candy, why it beats the living crap out of what's on the box today. Yes, stories sometimes sucked badly (never as bad or boring as now), but the fine actors more than made up for it usually. Can't wait to dig into this set.
Some people may actually like ABC and the other networks in the state they are now, but not you and I. I've been (for the longest time) a fan of what was on then more than what is on now. That is, as a whole, what has driven the DVD purchases that I have made, and it will continue to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks