What's new

Hot Stove League Baseball Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

John Madia

Second Unit
He's also 36 and has been declining steadily the past few years. I doubt he'll be high on Theo's list.
I wasn't saying that he's even on the Red Sox list, I was just saying that he was the only other name second baseman out there.

Bartolo Colon just rejected a three year $36 million offer from the White Sox. The Red Sox could definatley use him but I doubt they have the money to sign him. Also, there was some concern about his health. He said he's not interested in pitching in New York but I'm not sure where else he can get a big money contract.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The New York Mets will hold a press conference at noon ET on Tuesday to announce a new multiyear agreement for Jim Duquette as general manager, the club announced Monday.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1648182

As for free agents, all I know is if Pettitte leaves the Yankees, Astros owner Drayton McLane better give GM Gerry Hunsicker (who turned down the Mets GM job BTW) money to try to sign him since they need a started and Pettitte wants to go closer to home - Texas.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I do think Willie Randolph will get a look, maybe he'd bring Zimmer with him.
Oh, that'd be brilliant. Can't we just let Zimmer fade into the background quietly? Can't we force Zimmer to fade away? If Randolph insists on Zim, I say you make Bill Lee a roving instructor and allow him to be armed. :)

Besides, I doubt Randolph will ever get a job. He's refused to learn it in the minors, and I think is basically acting on the assumption that the Yankees' job is his once Torre leaves, which has rubbed people the wrong way in interviews.

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Manny Ramirez placed on 48 hr waivers.

Teams have 48 hrs to pick up his $100 million contract or he'll go back to the Sox.

Which is worse? Yankees pick him up, or no one picks him up and he goes back to a team that shows they'd rather not have him.

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
I bet Manny will clear waivers and the Sox will trade him. I believe in that scenario, the Sox would have to pick up some of Manny's contract.

James T

Screenwriter
Roy Haliday is the best player in baseball this year and we have two silver sluggers. And we still missed the playoffs?

I can see the Doc leaving Toronto for New York soon. The Jays had another losing ($) season and they want the payroll even less than last year.

John Madia

Second Unit
I think that it was an interesting move to put Manny on waivers. As I said at the top of the thread, the Sox are better off with a top pitcher than Manny at this point. They're also going to go through a major rebuilding period for 2005 and that would be a lot easier without a guy making $20 million.

I doubt anyone will sign him. The only club with that kind of money is the Yankees and I don't think Steinbrenner will bite. Still, after losing the World Series, you never know what George is going to do. Other potential teams are the Mets (not likely) and the Dodgers (could use a big bat but unlikely).

If Manny doesn't get picked up, he still might be traded. The trouble is that they'd have to trade him and cash to get someone to take him. If another teams gets him off waivers, the Red Sox could afford a quality pitcher (Colon, Millwood, Shilling, etc.) and a replacement for Manny (Shannon Stewart?).

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
One of the rumors Peter Gammons is floating was that this was, in part, Manny and his agent's doing - they know that the Red Sox won't trade him for less than value, and the worst that happens is he keeps playing for Boston this year.

I can't really see the logic otherwise, unless you know (A) someone will pick Manny up (preferably, someone not in the AL East) and (B) you've got a deal ready to swing to replace him.

Or you're really sure Jeremy Giambi will bounce back from injury and don't mind seeing Millar in left field. :)

John Madia

Second Unit
I think the reason they put him on waivers is (A) to try to get lucky and have someone take him and (B) let teams know he's up for trade.

The reason they want to get rid of Manny is his attitude and the money. The Red Sox are going through a major rebuilding phase in 2005 and it would probably cost around $50 million to keep Manny, Nomar and Pedro.

Nobody's claimed Manny yet and I don't think anyone will. The only upside of claiming Manny's contract is that you know exactly what you're getting. I think most teams would rather take the risk of trying to acquire a free agent like Vlad or Sheffield at a lower price.

I thought that Jeremy Giambi was done with the Red Sox. Oh well, that's another two million wasted. Maybe they can trade him for a prospect. If Manny's gone Millar won't be moved to left field. If worse comes to worst and they can't find someone, they'll just use Kapler in left.

If they are able to get rid of Manny I think they'll give up on Castillo and sign Walker instead. Castillo's good but they'll need someone with power to hit behind Ortiz.

As for non Red Sox transactions, San Diego (who look to be a good team this year) might have some interest in Maddux.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Personally I think Vlad and Sheffield will cost roughly the same amount of dough as Manny. Sheffield just ended his $15 million a year contract so I doubt he'll go lower.. if anything he'll want more especially since a guy like Manny is getting 20 mill a year.

James T

Screenwriter
I don't think Paul Molitor is fan of Toronto. We love him here, but each time we try to ask him about a manager job or as a hitting coach, he turns it down every year. Maybe this was the year they didn't offer him anything?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Dan,

I don't think Cashman is coming because Steinbrenner hasn't fired him yet and Cashman's as much an East Coast guy as Beane is West Coast.

I hope Paul Molitor works out. We really need a good batting coach.

I think the M's will have about a 30-40% change in their makeup. Cammie will be gone, as will Benitez (thank God), McLemore, and Pat Borders too. I think we'll probably sign then trade Garcia, maybe Guillen too if we can get Little Matsui or Tejada at short. Guillen will want a trade if he can't play shortstop, but personally I think he's a better third baseman and we should try to keep him. Hopefully we'll find a way to dump Cirrilo too.

I love Edgar as much as anyone but he should retire. He's so slow that unless he hits a home run, the chances of him scoring are slim. Especially if Olerud has another bad year.

I think this year we should try hitting Ichiro third. He has a much better batting average with runners in scoring position.

If the M's can get some better hitters without losing to much in pitching and fielding, I like our chances next year. (But I say that every year).

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
As for non Red Sox transactions, San Diego (who look to be a good team this year) might have some interest in Maddux.
Why exactly do the Pods look like they are going to be good next year? Are they resting their hopes on young players coming around?

John Madia

Second Unit
The Padres figure they have a solid base with Hoffman, Giles, Nevin and Klesko. With a new ballpark, they might be willing to invest in some pitching. I don't think they'll be good enough to clinch a spot in the playoffs, but they might be good enough to finish a few games over .500 next year.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Sheffield just ended his $15 million a year contract so I doubt he'll go lower..
I had always heard it was 11 million.

In any case, It will be interesting to see what kind of contract Sheff can get, as he dumped his agent and is going to do his own negotiating. If he gets a lucrative offer, we may start to see more players go this route in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks