What's new

Horrible movie experiences, part 2..... (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Ah, mobile phones in the cinema. An all too common problem, sadly.

I do recall, though, that the first time I ever recall sitting through a call-free movie (in the mobile phone age, obviously, 20 years ago we didn't have this problem) was opening day of Phantom Menace. Obviously, everyone who had bothered to get tickets for opening day was a fan, with many dressed up, so I guess they all took the effort to silence or switch off their phones :emoji_thumbsup:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I remember going to see a movie with a couple of friends. The movie was out a few weeks so the theater(which was pretty big) was pretty empty...maybe a dozen people. But, their was not one in my row or the rows in front or behind. All of the sudden a guy came in by himself. And sits right next to me. Their was a 100 seats around me and he picks the one right next to me. I understand he was by himself and most people are embarresed to do that. And normally I wouldn't mind...but, the dude had BO. :eek:

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Strange. Personally I've been to the cinema alone many times, and if the cinema is relatively empty I'll pick a seat that's good for me: aisle seat (I'm relatively tall for an Asian) and about mid-way from front-to-back (personal preference). And I'll deliberately sit by myself so I have all the elbow room I want.

Oddly, when I was younger it was the opposite: movie-going was supposed to be a communual experience, so I'd only go if I could persuade friends to go along. Now I don't care: if I want to see it (or see it again!), I just go. But cinema-going is an increasingly rare occurence: maybe 7-9 years ago I had a bunch of friends with whom I'd go almost literally every Saturday, sometimes two movies back-to-back in one evening, so that would easily be 50+ movies a year, but this year I think I've seen only SW3 (twice), BB, Flightplan (and that was a freebie) Serenity and HP4 in the cinema -- "All hail Home Theater and DVDs!"

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
since i like watching stupid people , i don't mind little disruptions or what i like to refer to as "what the F "
when black rain came out the three old people behind me thought it was a nice little comedy until the f-word started coming out of Michael Douglas's mouth so they had to talk about it . then there was the time where a nice couple decided to take their newborn child to a matinee that matinee , leaving las Vegas. while i was watching them leaving and coming back each time the baby cried.then there's cell phones .when i saw l.a. confidential ,a guy had to sit 2 rows away from the screen so that when he got a phone call we all had to watch him walk up and down several times.but none of these incidents had nothing to do with my movie experience. its the multiplexes.they look and smell like movie theaters but they don't feel like movie theaters.but now my love for going to the movies changed this year.a new movie theater opened up a block from an old 4 screen movie theater that i loved going to as a kid the theater didn't have stadium seating but it had nice comfy seats and spaces between you and the seat in front of you
the new theater has stadium seating but you also get a lot of leg room and at 6'2 its nice. i have a 44 inch 16 x 9 television and a nice kenwood with DD and DTS AND I LOVE IT. but it wont beat going to the movies.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
While I find cell phone interruptions are actually going down, the latest phenomenon I've seen is text messaging. When I went to see 'Red Eye' in a sold out theater, the two guys next to me as well as a pack of teenage girls in the row in front of me had their cell phones out and were text messaging through the entire movie. I'm sure they think they are being polite since they aren't talking but the LCDs were so damn bright it was quite a distraction.

On the subject of empty theaters- I went to see the second Harry Potter movie with a friend of mine during a matinee in the middle of the week. The theater was practically empty and we of course had our pick of excellent seats. During the previews a large family with several small children (including an infant) walk in and with an entire theater at their disposal elect to sit right next to us and immediately cause a large ruckus. We ended up having to move to the back of the theater just to get away from all of the noise.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I feel the same way. When I see something where I know there'll be a lot of kids - Chicken Little, for instance - I'm a LOT more tolerant of noise and disruption. Still not happy about it, but I can take it without real annoyance since I expect it and it's inevitable. Doesn't really bug me.

Adults are a different matter. One time annoyed me so much I mentioned it in a review:

"Here's yet another reason why watching movies on DVD is superior to seeing them in theaters. When I took in The Perfect Storm last summer, I enjoyed the film except for one annoying factor: a mildly-elderly woman in the row behind me who almost constantly uttered the phrase "uh-oh" during the picture. "Almost constantly" is not an exaggeration, either; two minutes never passed without an "uh-oh". Storm clouds on the horizon? "Uh-oh". Weatherman discusses the storm's potential? "Uh-oh". Marky Mark orders some chowder? "Uh-oh".

This woman was completely out of control. The loud storm scenes slightly covered her vocalizations, but she seemed to unconsciously react to them and often muttered more loudly at those times. I don't think the old bag did any of these on purpose, and frankly, I believe she may have lost use of some of her mental faculties - which was the only reason I didn't tell her to pipe down, though I did shoot her some mean looks (that she was too oblivious to notice)."

Chris Parham

Stunt Coordinator
I have a slightly different take on this topic - you see, I was that drunken obnoxious teenager throwing popcorn at the screen, being loud and generally making an ass of myself on opening night just looking to get thrown out of the theater with my buddies :b .
I'm now 34, married with children, and would go completely insane if my movie experience was ruined by the likes of me circa 1988. It's strange because as a teenager, I had a blast and I can't really begrudge these kids their fun (most of their transgressions pale in comparison to mine at that age). At the same time I really feel sorry for those that had their first experience with a great film ruined by me.
Thank god for home theater! Watching my front projected 8 foot screen with a properly calibrated 7.1 system in a double leather recliner with my wife and a bottle of wine and whatever food we desire, I really feel like I'm in the absolute perfect movie watching environment for the crotchety old fart that I've become :D .
The last two films I've seen in a theater were Hanibal ( Hurt my back sitting in an uncomfortable cinema seat and decided that night to build my own front projection theater with stadium seating :emoji_thumbsup: ), and Kill Bill ( Theater advertised DTS but the surrounds were not activated - the kid at the concession said that the "disc did not arrive on time" ?????:angry: )

Laura Nicholson

Stunt Coordinator

I saw "The Blair Witch Project" with my sister. In the middle of the movie, a guy just walked in and sat next to me. I was a little surprised, but I could have dealt with it. It was when he started stroking my side that I developed slight unease with the situation. :eek: I got up and went to the concession stand, but he took off. That has to be the most [sarcasm]memorable [sarcasm] trip to the movies I've ever had. At least I didn't like the movie in the first place, so he didn't ruin it.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

I had something similar happen during a movie. . .except the guy wasn't with a hot Latina. . .or anyone. ;)

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I saw the latest Harry Potter on the opening weekend, which I rarely do.

The first 5 showings of the day were sold out, so I decided to stick around for the 4pm show, which was on the verge of quickly selling out as well.

The only seats left were close to the front, but it was the people around me that ruined my viewin experience.

The guy to my left ate with the grace of a raptor. Good lord, his popcorn just had no chance of survival.

The family to my right were even more annoying. The parents went out for 5-6 smoke breaks, each time more odoriferous than the last. And the daughter, I'm assuming she was suffering from Tourettes syndrome the way she shouting out at the screen.

To top all that off, the girl behind me was constantly kicking my chair until I gave her a proper holla.

Fortunately my Narnia viewing was a pleasant experience. I've got less than a week to see anything else before the kids get out for the christmas break.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks