What's new

Horrible movie experiences, part 2..... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Well, it happened again. Another movie experience that makes me grateful for my home theater. Went with my daughter Saturday to see Narnia. It was filled with kids so I expected talking. But, their were two people that went above the board. Their was a father and his three kids behind me. They son would ask questions constantly about what was going on. Alright, I could deal with that since the dad was trying to shush them...But, then the dad who must have read the books started to give away plot points...When Aslan met with the Witch and then she renounces her claim on Edmund. He tells the kids oh he is offered to sacrifice himself
He did this at a couple of points in the film. Then we had the way over active kid across the way. He was around 8. And was also a fan of the book. And was talking loudly and sitting up in his seat. Their was a guy in front of him that kept shushing him but to no effect. He was at the end of the row and the parents or his friends parents were 3 kids over from him. They said nothing. :angry:

On a side note. That night we had some friends over with their kids. And about 10 kids watched Fantastic 4 in the theater. I popped popcorn in the popcorn machine and gave them the popcorn in containers. After everyone left. I go to shut everything down. Popcorn was all over the floor. I didn't mind. The kids enjoyed themselves and thats the point...Ahh, the joys of a home theater. :D

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That's the reason why I haven't seen Harry Potter yet. My wife wanted to avoid all the kids that would be at the film. Course, now we are running into other films, so who knows when we will see it.

Since you mentioned FF, when we went to see it, there were a bunch of kids, and they were all getting a kick out of it. In that case, it enhanced the experience (which the movie needed IMO)

Jason

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
I also had a horrible experience when I went to see Narnia on Friday. To start things off, the first few minutes of the film were out of focus. After someone alerted the projectionist, she stopped the film in the middle of the opening credits. A minute or two later, she turned on the film again, but there was no sound! Almost a minute later, the sound was back on, but that wasn't the end of the problems.

During the whole movie, a bunch of idiot teenage guys sitting in the back row were derisively laughing, yelling and clapping during the most important moments of the film. By contrast, the younger kids were far more respectful of the moviegoing experience and remained mostly quiet.

I somehow managed to enjoy the movie despite all of this. But I was still very angry at the whole experience. Thankfully, after I complained to the manager, I was given free passes for my troubles. I really hope I won't experience anything like this when I see King Kong later this week.

Joel C

Screenwriter
We had a really bad experience when we went to see Harry Potter a few weeks ago. First, the projectionist left the light on in the booth and it reflected off the screen. Then the bulb was weak or turned too low or something, because the image was pulsing/flickering. Then 20 minutes into the movie, some sort of sound mix-up occurred and a loud, piercing whine/buzz came blasting out of the speakers, obscuring all dialogue for about three or four minutes.

We ended up leaving the theater to catch a show beginning in a few minutes (and had to sit through the same commercials and previews again, plus 20 minutes of the movie, to the point where Harry's name comes out of the cup).

Thankfully, the theater gave us free passes for another show, so we can see Kong or something gratis.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
There was this 60-ish guy at my Narnia screening... He kept yawning in the loudest, most obnoxious way possible, stretching his arms into the aisle, and generally making a pest of himself. A theater full of kids, and it's the adult that needs shushing. I swear, I'm gonna die young, shot by the next asshole I tell to shut the hell up during a movie :D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This is why I never go to films during opening weekends. All of my hellish movie experiences have been during first weekend showings.

There's a far lesser chance of running into idiots after a couple weeks when they're all at the "latest and greatest" making the rest of you miserable. :D

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I saw HARRY POTTER on the IMAX screen in King of Prussia, and the camera blacked out three times during the film, all crucial moments. I love going to the movies, and especially love gigantic screens like IMAX, but I have to admit that I prefer watching films on my home theater to avoid these problems, even if it is only a 50" screen.

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
When I go to the movies now, which I admit ain't all that often when you've got a thumping big home theatre at home to enjoy... i have learn't to shut out extraneous noise.

Although, going against what most people are saying here:

I once went with a girlfriend to watch Stuart Little a few years back, and the cinema was filled (and i mean FILLED) with kids! The movie came on, and for about fifteen minutes, the kids and adults were all silent. Then, the first kids began to talk about the movie. "Whats happening?" and everything. Now, a lot of people would find this horribly annoying, but my friend and I were so amused by the whole thing we actually spent more time listening to the kids around us clambering about than actually watching the film. And at the end, we had still enjoyed our time. We were actually laughing at some of the cute comments being out forth by the kids.

Having said that, we knew when we went in that it was a kids movie, knowing kids would be in there, and treated it as such. Upon watching the film later on DVD in the comfort of my own home, I enjoyed the film again and rediscovered stuff I had missed in the first place. And I still enjoyed it.

After that, sometimes we would go to kids films to not only enjoy the film, but also to listen to the kids talk their way through it (much to their own parents chagrin... he he he) and you soon learn to appreciate why kids films are made!

HOWEVER:

Adults taliing through an adult film, or a film with an enlarged adult audience, is just plain rude. I had to sit through the horrific Phantoms (with Mr Ben Affleck!!!) with our immediate neighbours deciding to not be able to understand what was happening. So one of them (who had obviously read the original novel) decided to give us all a narrative throughout, despite several attempts by both myself and others about us to shut the fricking heck up!!!!

Thank God for home theatre, and my own ability to not talk through a movie.

Peace.

Colton

Supporting Actor
My wife treated her dad (my father-in-law) to WALK THE LINE. He hardly ever goes to movies. Maybe one in five years. So, this was a very special moment. To make sure the experience is worth it we decide to go to a big name theater. Everything went fine for the first fifteen minutes and then the sound dialogue was no louder than a whisper. We had to strain (basically read lips) to understand what was being said. After a few minutes of this, noone else seemed to mind watching a movie without sound, so I got up and flagged an usher who made a walkie-talkie call to the projectionist to "crank it up in theater 5".

Another time was when my wife and I went to see FINDING NEVERLAND and the whole sound was F-L-A-T. Sound just coming from behind the screen and not very loud. We complained and got free movie tickets.

- Colton

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Are we only up to part 2?

It's not just kids on opening weekend. A week or two ago, I went to see Good Night and Good Luck. There was an older couple behind me. The husband was saying gems like, "Hey, that's funny" and "Is that George Clooney?" The first time, I just turned to look, and the second time, I turned and glared (not sure if you can tell in the dark) and did the universal shush gesture. A few minutes later, during some singing, the guy leans over and whispers in my ear, "I'm going to talk to my wife whenever I want."

I turned and replied, "Then do it quietly."

He responded, "I'm hard of hearing."

I was going to go with something like, "That's unfortunate," and leave it at that, because I really didn't want to have a conversation, but before I could he says, "Now just turn your goddamned ass around," and sits back up.

Now I'm trying to decide between "What's with the salty language?" and standing up and asking him to step outside, but instead I just wave dismissively. I didn't even give him the finger. I don't want to ruin the movie for everyone else.

But he didn't say anything else for the rest of the movie.

Kami

Screenwriter
I've had too many bad experiences to count. I only go to big "event" movies nowadays.

Projector + SVS + Recliner > Theater

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Let's see...

Our Wynnsong theater would mess up just about every movie I saw there. Guess that's one of the reasons tickets are $1.50 now.

I saw Scream something with my girlfriend a long time ago. Just...wow. Talk about young people laughing and screaming and making a general ruckuss CONSTANTLY. I felt nearly driven to murderous rage.

I saw The Thin Red Line with a friend. Some young punks in the front were laughing at the scene where the Japanese soldier's face was in the dirt, and throughtout. My friend yelled for them to "shut the fuck up". They left shortly after.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Why does Hollywood insist on making films for kids, can someone tell me that? :D

Seriously, i'd be here all day if I had to type all of the bad moments at the theater, that's why I am so greatful that I have a decent HT, most of the time it's far superior to going to the theater.

I know that some people name their HT's and so i've considered naming mine the 'No Hassle Cinema' because that's exactly what I get in my HT...no hassle's. Properly calibrated 5.1 DD & DTS, a comfy sofa, some soda and a 96" projection screen is all I need.

MichaelGH

Stunt Coordinator
Normally I only end up at about 3 movies a year because of the cost and annoyance factors. Last weekend I saw Narnia and it was filled with annoyances...starting with the trailers being misframed to the picture being just slightly out of focus to the guy 2 rows behind us falling asleep and snoring VERY LOUDLY to children getting bored and running up and down the aisles...

Hopefully Kong won't be that bad crowd-wise...

Michael

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Posts detailing bad experiences with movies show up from time to time. In general, my experiences at the movies are quite different. So much so, that I undertook a project to watch a week of movies and detail my experience. I went to different types of movies, at different times and to different theaters.

You can see the results in
this thread .

No doubt Dallas is a more civilized city than any in New Jersey. :D

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I'm aching to see King Kong but will wait at least a few days.
Finally caught Harry Potter ATGOF at a matinee. Five adults in the theater, 3 of us alone. I almost always sit in the back row now, no one can kick my seat or talk from behind me.
Everything was fine and then halfway through the film a couple came in a sat in the row in front of me, just to my left.
And began talking. They were not that loud but it bugged me that, as usual, someone thought it was fine to chat in my $20.00 (not counting gas) movie experience.
I knew from the timing of their arrival that they had undoubtedly drifted in after seeing whatever movie they had actually paid for. And I don't care about that, as long as they don't bug me.
But they already had.
I leaned toward them, "You know, nobody was talking during the first half of my movie."
The guy turns and says, "Yeah so?"
"You don't have tickets for this movie."
He tries bluffing (so cute), "Yes we do!"
"No, you DON'T".

They turned to each other to consult and then got up and left.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks