What's new

Hook your computer up to your TV now (1 Viewer)

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe I waited a year to do it. I don't know whats going on exactly, I suppose its downconverting 1024x768 to 640x480 or whatever, but it looks great to me and I am having a blast playing Medal of Honor in 65" glory thru my HT speakers.

Its a Dell 4500 with S-Vid out and I didn't have to do anything to configure it. Just plugged in the S-video to the TV and started playing. Happy joy.

Brae

Supporting Actor
Well, actually its interlacing it also. Have you been able to discern any significant overscan when the desktop is projected noto the TV screen?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
There are some 3rd party programs that control the TV-outs for the popular graphics cards. TV Tool is the one I use for my GF4 Ti400. It looks much better than the one that is included with the drivers and there are many settings to fix under/overscan, brightness, and color.

Timon- you play MOH online any? If so are you in a clan?

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
The image doesn't quite fill the entire screen, but its certainly not chopped off anywhere. I noticed that it stayed on 60 hertz when I reconnected it to my monitor. I manually put it back to 75.

I haven't played any online MOH yet; I always kinda figured the more experienced players would kick my ass like they did when I tried Quake a while back. Plus, I only have dial-up. Would it even work?

Brae

Supporting Actor
Timon, its just playing safe as it does not wish to over-drive your television with a refresh above 60-Hz. It is interesting that the S-Video 'boxed' your desktop into what I can only imagnie is an under-scanned condition. On your 65" RPTV how much of a border is there around the PC desktop image?

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
I'd say about 1" of black border on each side. But I cranked my overscan down on the set to around 3% last year.

Brae

Supporting Actor
Cranking the overscan to 3% still should mean that an unboxed display of your computer's desktop should lose about 3% of that desktop--unless I am misunderstanding overscan completely. It sounds like the video card manufacturer took the overscan condition into account, especially for those not aware or capable of adjusting their overscan.

Brae

Supporting Actor
On the contrary. I know just barely enough to be dangerous. Good thing I don't go suggesting a lot of things to people or there would be displays blowing up from California to NYC! :D

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
games always look pretty good when you play them on a television. they just tend to really like the TV's dithering method. but the resolution is crap. . . I have a computer in my home theater that I occaisionally play some ghost recon on, and while it looks great it's a bit harder for extreme range sniper shots than on my monitor where I can run 1600x1200. but nevertheless, the big screen makes it worth it :D.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Rob amen! I pretty much stopped playing on my 32" wega after making the sniper rifle my favorite gun in Medal of Honor. The HT is great for machine gun fights but for precision and accuracy where resolution matters the TV can't hack it. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks