What's new

Honeymooners Lost Episodes Redux? (1 Viewer)

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richie
Hey Everybody!

I'd like to have the complete collection of the Lost Episodes of The Honeymooners......but I've refrained from buying the sets which are/were on the market now, because it would cost a FORTUNE to have all the eps that way...and take up a lot of unnecessary space.

I also see that some of the sets are currently out of print.

Does anybody know if there are any plans to release the complete collection of lost episodes in one set?

I sure hope so. That is something I'd be willing to buy...assuming it were priced reasonably.

(I finally gave away my home-recorded VHSs of the original 39 eps...just so I'd finally force myself to get those at least, on DVD- and as luck would have it, Amazon is finally having a nice sale on the original 39- so this was a win/win situation: I'll get the orig. 39 on DVD for $20...and I made a new HM fan by giving my tapes to a friend who was not familiar with the sho...but she loves it now!)

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
I would go for this as well. The current sets are way overpriced for their running times.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I would love to see the lost episodes from the 50s released in chronological order. I would love to see all the other footage from The Jackie Gleason Show that each sketch was a part of included as well; the June Taylor dancers; the Gleason monologue; sketches with other characters if that particular episode has it. I bet all these sketches could be cleaned up and be made to look much better than they did when they were first released to syndication 20+ years ago. I just wish a more reputable company had the rights to the lost episodes; MPI is terrible. For their DVD releases of the lost episodes, they just basically transferred their old VHS tapes to DVD; nothing special was done at all.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'd just like to say that I'm a huge HONEYMOONERS fan - and that includes the "Lost Episodes". It's a shame that so many fans deny themselves these lesser-known skits, as they're very funny in their own way. You know, there is a lot more to laugh at than just the usual "Classic 39", folks!

Anyway - I have all of the "Lost Honeymooners" MPI sets on DVD (over 20 volumes). I'm happy to have them, but I agree there should be something more special and definitive done with these episodes. I'd really love for MPI to put them in chronological order and in a much more concise and all-inclusive package.

RichieMagoo

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richie
Chronological order should indeed be a given!

I wouldn't care so much whether they cleaned the lost eps up or not (It'd probably be a very expensive undertaking, since many if not all were shot on kinescope)- I enjoyed even the really badly-deteriorated ones just as much as the nice clean original 39's...kinda makes ya feel like you're back there in the 50's watching on an old B&W TV)

I can't believe they haven't put out a good, chronological (and affordable) Lost Eps set yet! What a way to treat such a great and beloved show!

It'd be interesting to see the othjer Jackie G;leason show material too, as Jdee suggests- but perhaps sold seperately...otherwise the Lost Eps set would beHUGE and cost a fortun (Weren't there about 200 lost eps?)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
There are still 6 -7 Color episodes of THE JACKIE GLEASON show with "Honeymooner" skits (As apposed to full hour "Honeymooner" shows) That haven't been seen since the 1960's.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I'd like to add my vote for complete "Jackie Gleason Shows." If we can't have that, then the Honeymooners sketches in chronological order -- they should have released those years ago!

And what about that final season, 1956-57 ... none of them have ever been on home video, have they?

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

I'd love to see a lost Honeymooners redux and full Gleason shows. I still have a lot of the MPI VHS's of the lost episodes. Even if they did new transfers through the quality improvement would be minimal due to the fact these are all kinescopes.

Mark Y

Screenwriter

Yes, but check out the recent release of Elvis Presley's appearances on The Ed Sullivan Show. They were cleaned up with a process called "live feed" and from what I have watched, you'd practically think you're watching it on live TV!

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

I think those were on videotape as opposed to the filmed Kinescopes of the lost Honeymooners. But if the process worked on filmed Kinescopes that would be great!

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Michael,

The Ed Sullivan episodes featuring Elvis Presley were from 1956 and 1957 and were filmed not videotaped.
The Live Feed process gives a filmed show a "live" look resembling videotape.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member

Yes, where is that B/W "Trip to Europe" season? I'd love to see the originals, having seen the color remakes from a decade later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks