What's new

Honestly, how difficult to install? (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I'm really looking into getting the car unit. I've thought about picking it up and could basically do so "at any minute" but based on the instructions I'm seeing on the websites of both Sirius & XM, the wiring of the antenna for the car.. woof.. that piece I'm wondering about.. like running the wiring without having the stuff droop all over the outside of the vehicle :)

So, in honesty, how many installed themselves vs. professional install, and how easy was it?

Gary Silverman

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, I've done XM installs on 5 vehicles(4 Toyotas and a Ford Expedition) and all of them had a rubber trim around the windshield/rear window that I could put the very small diameter antenna wires under. I used a small screwdriver and a plastic putty knife to peel the trim back a little bit and push the wires underneath.Nothing is exposed afterwards.Once the wires were inside the car, it was just a matter of hiding the wires under easily removed parts to get to the dashboard area.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gary,

Question.

The installer at Circuit City did the same
thing you did --- install the antenna wiring
underneath the rear window's rubber trim.

The problem is now that the trim has been
disrupted (lifted), it constantly loosens
itself away from the rear window. In other
words, I'll get out of my car and see half
the lower part of the window trim hanging out
of place.

Is there any kind of glue/adhesive that you
would recommend that I can adhere the trim
back in place with?

Gary Silverman

Stunt Coordinator
Ron, I haven't had that problem. Maybe the installer was a little too agressive when installing the wire.
3M makes a trim adhesive for cars. You could try that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks