What's new

Homemade widescreen vs. P&S examples :-) (1 Viewer)

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
OMFG!! WhereTF did that come from? That's neat. Thanks for doing that. OH, and thanks for making it in widescreen! ;)

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Anymore OAR vs P&S examples? What about that Pee Wee movie with that bicycle chain. Can somebody get a screenshot of that and post it? I know it's a soft matte but they say it makes a lot more sense with the black bars. Can somebody show me what they're talking about?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I have some neat 1.85:1 hard-matted videos that I've shot...but my video card is possessed by demons, so I'll post this for now:
http://cztoondb.tripod.com/80dayspreview.htm
I took this pictures using my video capture card from my LBX VHS and my P&S VHS. The aspect ratios may be a little distorted since my video capture program doesn't format the pictures 100% correct. The entire picture is there, despite some distortion.

Brenton

Screenwriter
That's creepy Ken, the 360 degree view of your room is confusing me. Why do I see only two walls repeating themselves over and over? Shouldn't there be four walls?

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
I didn't have the camera right in the middle of the room. I used a netcam on a tripod and turned the crank a couple turns for each picture I took. Probably look better if it was curved in a "smilebox" cinerama type way.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Ok, here are some screen shot of Planet of the Apes. This will get interesting.

This is what the movie possibily looks like in Pan and Scan.

Here it is in it's original letterbox format.
Ok, now I'm gonna demonstrate what a lot of Joe-6-Packs think the letterbox format does.

Some Joe-6-Packs think they chop the top and bottom off. Of course, this is only true with Soft Matte Films. The director is careful with this and is only paying attention to that part of the film anyway.

And here's what OTHER Joe-6-Packs think they do. Yeup, squish it down so everybody's fat. But no, they would NEVER EVER do that.
As you can see, the second photo shows the more accurate footage in it's "TRUE" format.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Yeup, squish it down so everybody's fat. But no, they would NEVER EVER do that.
When I wrote that, I forgot to think about the Anamorphic lenses they used on Cinemascope and Panavision. If they didn't squish it back down, everybody would be tall and skinny.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ken,
Your use of the word "idiot" to show your total disdain for those that oppose seeing movies in their widescreen format is duly noted, therefore, maybe a less insulting word can be used in describing such people. Thank you.

Crawdaddy

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Well, geeze. Excuse me for living. I changed it to Joe-6-Packs. That better? We use idiot all the time. I felt it was ok to call them Joe-6-Packs idiots, because they never take the time to research why it's letterboxed. Even if you try to prove it to them, they will not listen. Therefore, they are idiots in my perspective. Well, if you don't want me using that word, I'll stop. Also, pay more attention to the point of this post, and not what I say.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

If what you are saying is insulting then why would anybody want to pay attention to the point of your post?

Crawdaddy

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
I think that one of the very best widescreen vs. pan and scan comparisons is with a P&S Star Wars (any one of them) with an OAR Start Wars (any one of them). I bought the OT on VHS long time a go when I was a J6P, and the text at the front of the movie is almost completely unreadable. You can't see an entire line of text until it is very far away. Compare that with my OAR copy of TPM, and it is night and day. I've used this to convince quite a few people that P&S really does cut out a lot of information and sometimes that information is crucial to the movie.

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to capture screen shots to illustrate this point, but maybe somebody here can put up a comparison.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Ok, I thought this one was funny. When I first watched Red Planet, I was wondering why it was only showing 2 people taking a piss when there were 3. NOW I know where the 3rd one was. YEUP. Cut off.

Here it is in Pan and Scan. Notice you only see TWO of the crew taking a leak.

Ok, NOW you can see the 3rd guy over to the right. You can see ALL 3!!!

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
idiot
uninformed
joe six pack
uneducated
Lets stick to that. Everyone one wins. Mods are happy. No one is insulted. In my experience, calling someone an idiot never persuaded them. BTW Ken, this post has been fun and informing. I have shown have to a few uneducated friends as reference. :emoji_thumbsup: ;)

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Every movie I've seen in Pan and Scan, I'm gonna re rent or buy and watch it widescreen. Red Planet was one of them. But I also noticed something else on Red Planet.

Notice in this one, a little bit off the right side was cut off and they stretched it, kinda like anamorphic. Notice the oval shaped thing in the bottom right corner. It's actually a circle.

And here it is in OAR. Notice the little circle in the bottom right corner isn't and oval anymore.
Now I'm gonna show something to ya about the credits.

Here it is in Widescreen. Please disregard the time code. I forgot to turn it off. I had to record the DVD to VHS because it's anamorphic and taking screen shots from Power DVD kinda confuses it, and I come out with a tall and skinny picture. So, I shot it off from my VCR.

Here's the Pan and Scan. Notice MARS is still round, but the credits are STRETCHED Up and Down. Geeze. NOBODY is gonna complain about black bars on the credits. I noticed more and more movies are done like this. Letterbox for credits, Pan and Scan for movie, and letterbox for credits again. But in this picture, it is wierd how they stretched the credits without stretching MARS.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Ken;
It's odd, yes, but actually not all that unusual. I noticed the same thing on Warner's "The Neverending Story." Here is the original widescreen frame:
Link Removed
If you look at the pan-and-scan version below, you'll noticed that they cropped the background image as is typically done for a pan-and-scan transfer, but completely repositioned the titles over it:
Link Removed
Even weirder is that this pan-and-scan version, taken from the DVD, is actually new. If you watch "The Neverending Story" on VHS, this is the title image you'll see:
Link Removed
For this original pan-and-scan transfer, the full widescreen image was just squished to fit the 4:3 screen, very much like the "Navigation Mode" screen from "Red Planet" that you posted.
Both pan-and-scan versions feature the usual cropping for the body of the movie, of course, though the framing isn't consistent between the two.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
I have the OAR version of Rush Hour 2 on DVD and I noticed when I previewed the fullscreen version to myself, that they redid the credits. So, I think they do the pan and scan shit before they do the credits on either one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks