What's new

Homeland Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Joe S

Second Unit
Great wrap up of the Brody story. This felt like a series finale, but we know the show will be back next season.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Agreed. It would have been a long stretch to get Brody out and have him and Carrie live happily ever after. They used up the credibility equity in season 2 and I like this resolution. Very few people get storybook endings. Brody accomplished some big things and died having done some great things, and some terrible things. Seems a perfect description of his character and emphasized by Carrie and Lockhart disagreeing over whether he was a hero or traitor. Even Saul needed to be convinced to attempt to rescue Brody after Brody pulled off the impossible for his country.

I also thought the show deftly handled Carrie's decision to keep her pregnancy by saying she knew she made a bad decision because of love. Seemed very human and believable. Sometimes illogical decisions are still realistic decisions.

It sounds like Saul is still working "in the private sector" so he can be brought back in as a consultant or contractor. I hope so as the actor and character are both terrific.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Scott Hanson said:
...it would have been nice to see them get some closure with him and learn that he wasn't the monster they thought he was...
But he really was the monster they thought he was.This should have been the series finale.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
All the "thank God Morgan is gone" on the interwebs is funny.

More than anything...under-used on Homeland. But...Chasing Brody leaves what?(and yeah, yeah...attempted suicide then the "will she or won't she" with this guy...or him over there...no, 'bout the third one)

She'll probably pull a "somewhat famous" tween-> teen star that vanishes to go to college...and we'll all see her again in 2-3 years.(already picking up other stuff to do anyway)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Scott Hanson said:
Good finale. Really no other way to wrap Brody up. You knew he was toast the whole time, it was just a matter of when and how. As much as I'm thrilled to hear the rest of the Brody clan won't be around anymore, it would have been nice to see them get some closure with him and learn that he wasn't the monster they thought he was.
I thought it was a great end for Brody, but that was my only complaint too. I would have liked for it to be more clear that the execution was televised and that that whole world knew that Brody killed this monster. And I think it would have nice to have a few beats with Jessica and the kids, to have that burden lifted from them a bit. I think Jessica would have been able to forgive him, I think Dana would have been a lot more conflicted, and we never saw enough of the son to judge how he'd take it.
So how do they work Saul back into the mix? Surely he's not off the show is he? He's the star.
Lockhart's letting Carrie pick her own team, so it's more likely than not that he'll get pulled into Istanbul, either as one of her top deputies or hired as a private contractor. He's definitely not out of the game.
Joe S said:
This felt like a series finale, but we know the show will be back next season.
I felt the same way. Especially when we got the flash forward. That being said, I'm excited to see what the show looks like without the specter of Brody hanging over everything.
Charlie Campisi said:
Brody accomplished some big things and died having done some great things, and some terrible things. Seems a perfect description of his character
That was my favorite thing about the finale. There's a natural tendency on television to paint characters as black or white. Right through to the end, the show refused to do that with Brody and never betrayed the complexity with which he viewed the world and weighed his decisions. Was he the marine that went to war, the traitor that plotted against his country, the loving father, the assassin who killed the Vice President of the United States, or the man who died bravely and honorably for his country? He was all of those things, and he had misgivings about most of them. He'll be remembered as one of the great human TV characters. I didn't like him, but I empathized with him.
schan1269 said:
All the "thank God Morgan is gone" on the interwebs is funny. More than anything...under-used on Homeland.
I really do think she's a terrific actress that was just too often let down by the material she was given in the second and third seasons. It's a shame that she's being personally ridiculed because viewers didn't like her storylines.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok when did Carrie actually get hired back by CIA? I never saw it in any episode. She has a condition they said she could never be part of CIA again. I saw Season 2 to 3 back to back and paid attention. Never saw her be hired officially.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
SamT said:
Ok when did Carrie actually get hired back by CIA? I never saw it in any episode. She has a condition they said she could never be part of CIA again. I saw Season 2 to 3 back to back and paid attention. Never saw her be hired officially.
So, the government always does everything officially....

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
SamT said:
I think by the end of the season it's clear that several months have passed and things have changed. She's back in CIA, which implies it's been cleared up that her whole break was planned by her and Saul. She's a hero and was hired back during this time and now given her choice of posts.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Patrick_S said:
But he really was the monster they thought he was.
Was he though? He certainly did some horrible things, but I don't think he was this soulless terrorist that the CIA painted him as being. Remember, his descent began as a result of being a prisoner of war fighting for his country. And he never got his name cleared, at least with the American public, that he had nothing to do with the Langley bombing.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Remember, he killed the Vice President of United States.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
LOL!

Also he killed him twice! Remember he pushed the button of his suicide vest. So virtually he did kill more people, if the vest didn't work, it doesn't reduce his guilt.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Scott Hanson said:
Was he though?.
1. Tried but failed to kill over a dozen people in the bunker.2. Killed his buddy in tunnel at the end of season one.3. Killed the person in the woods4. Killed the VPYea he was a monster.Edit: Forgot, a couple of people died before everyone got into the bunker. He did not pull the trigger but he was guilty under the law.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I guess I forgot about some of that stuff. But I was also thinking of what lead him to become that person. He was sort of dealt a bad hand, as they say.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks