What's new

Homeland Season 3 (1 Viewer)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
So maybe I missed it but did they give Brody the controversial drug to speed him through his withdrawal? Or did they not need to since the Senator’s confirmation hearing got delayed?

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
MarkMel said:
So maybe I missed it but did they give Brody the controversial drug to speed him through his withdrawal? Or did they not need to since the Senator’s confirmation hearing got delayed?
I believe it was implied that they did because they showed that one hallucination of him seeing Walker.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Finally caught up with the last two episodes. Very satisfying television. I thought Barbara Hall's teleplay for the most recent episode in particular was stellar. It was ostensibly about prepping for this assassination mission in Tehran, but really it was about taking a moment to assess where all of these characters we've followed for three seasons have been and where they're going.

I was particularly happy to see the Dana stuff pay off in a way that her storyline simply didn't last season. You needed all of the Dana stuff in those first four or five episodes to get you to the place where that scene in the motel room could transpire. The relationship between Brody and his daughter cuts right to the heart of the show. She's the reason he didn't detonate that vest, and she's the reason he's willing to go on what is more likely than not a suicide mission.

I also really enjoyed the scene between Saul and Senator Lockhart where Saul had Lockhart's balls in a vice and decided not to clamp down. It was very revealed about Saul and his priorities, and it was fascinating to watch Tracy Letts's performance as the senator. You can see something change in the way he looks at Saul in that moment, like he's really noticing this guy for the first time. He still doesn't like Saul, but I think he's beginning to respect him.
Matt Hough said:
Still playing catch-up. I certainly don't blame them for shooting Carrie. She's a loose cannon doing what she wants to fulfill her own agenda and not the agency's.
The way I read that scene is that the hormonal impulse of a pregnant woman to protect her family took over. She's pretty much certain that Brody's the father, and the only way she keeps Brody alive is to clear his name. Normally when she's a loose cannon it's because she thinks she's doing what's best for the mission. That was all about her personal need for Brody to be cleared.
mattCR said:
Damian Lewis sold the hell out of us role tonight. That's some commitment right there.
I agree 100 percent. In his interview with Entertainment Weekly, he explained the extensive research and preparation that he put into portraying the symptoms of withdrawal as accurately as possible.

Scott Hanson said:
I believe it was implied that they did because they showed that one hallucination of him seeing Walker.
Yes, at that point Saul hadn't yet come to his gentleman's agreement with Senator Lockhart, so they were still operating on that seven day timetable. Incidentially, ibogaine is a real thing.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I guess Saul's plan kind of worked.. but where does it go from here, with all the support infrastructure gone?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed seeing all these shades of Brody we haven't seen before: the camaraderie among service members, Brody in combat mode, Brody single-minded.
mattCR said:
I guess Saul's plan kind of worked.. but where does it go from here, with all the support infrastructure gone?
Sooner or later, it was always going to be Brody on his own. His exit strategy went up in toast, but everything between crossing the border and pulling the trigger was always going to be up to Brody.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Blown away. Completely blown away..

Up until Brody hit him with an ashtray, I wasn't sure if he was being straight or spilling the beans or what.. that was a hell of a performance by him..

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I enjoyed the episode, but it was a bit uneven to me. I liked the flashback feeling of season 1 where the viewer wasn't sure if Brody was a traitor or not. I didn't like how easy it was to get into see the head IRGC guy. The guy took such precautions around Brody before, but now he gets into see him and the guards are dismissed so easily? It didn't work too well for me. I sort of bought it because it appeared some time had passed since Nazir's wife vetted Brody as Brody had developed regular praying patterns, was speaking out publicly against the US and had blown off the extraction opportunity, so maybe the Iranians were trusting Brody more. Along the same vein was how his guard left Brody so quickly at the mosque and Carrie was able to call him while he stood in the open on the phone. Why would the guard leave Brody with only an order to go inside and no explanation by Brody? What bothered me most though was Brody explaining the entire plot and burning Javadi. It felt contrived to manipulate the viewer. As I said above, I liked the season 1 feeling about it, but I thought it strained believability. Maybe I could rationalize it by saying Brody was playing both sides of the line since he wasn't sure if he could kill the IRGC leader, or maybe because Brody hadn't decided whether he was going to be loyal to the US or just try and escape. Again, that's a flashback to season 1 and his internal battles of conscience, so maybe it works when I think about it, but while viewing it the first time I was feeling cynical.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
In the first two seasons when people would say how "brilliant" this show was, I kind of scoffed at that notion. While I thought it was a very entertaining show and enjoyed watching the first two seasons, I never really got the "brilliant" thing. But I have to say, this season with the way they've gradually woven this intricate tale has been nothing short of brilliant.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yep. Season finale this weekend. There are already people who think that Saul's mole shot and killed himself the moment Brody went to the leader; hearing the conversation and thinking he was doomed. (Speculation)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Homeland has been a big improvement over the second season this year and whilst I could live without the romance/baby between Carrie and Brody, its a remnant of Season 2 that I suppose they have to take somewhere and Im glad however the focus has been on the spying side. Interesting also to see how the Brody family have essentially been sidelined which I also think is a good thing.

Looking forward to the finale

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Just seen the final episode and will wait to post further thoughts, but I will say I think it was a very effective end to the season

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Definitely and I have to say the right one! They have definitely recognised the storyline has run its course and frankly the series is wide open again! Will be interesting to see where they take it from here.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Good finale. Really no other way to wrap Brody up. You knew he was toast the whole time, it was just a matter of when and how. As much as I'm thrilled to hear the rest of the Brody clan won't be around anymore, it would have been nice to see them get some closure with him and learn that he wasn't the monster they thought he was.

So how do they work Saul back into the mix? Surely he's not off the show is he? He's the star.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks