What's new

Homeland Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
The one thing I was wondering about... did we know that Mike knew Saul before this episode? That seemed out of nowhere and wasn't really explained.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Joe_H said:
The one thing I was wondering about... did we know that Mike knew Saul before this episode? That seemed out of nowhere and wasn't really explained.
Mike didn't know Saul. He set up a meeting with his friend, Glenn Peterson. Glenn apparently kicked it upstairs, and Mike found himself blindsided by Saul and Estes.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
yeah, thus why Mike basically said "who are you.." but he knew exactly who Estes was. And it just kicked his suspicion into high gear; but I think that road ends badly for him.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Wow...the scene at the tailor's was quite an adrenaline rush. I'm sorry to see Galvez written out of the show. Having Quinn survive the assault is one of the few instances where the writers have played it safe. It's a bit hard to swallow that he alone survived a withering assault under automatic weapons fire.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
The whole tailor shop shootdown was too '24' for my tastes. One week they send Brody to pick up the Tailor because they have no resources available and in this episode they have a trained and well equipped Tactical Team? A bit too contradictory in story telling logic for a show that rarely stumbles in such matters.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma /t/323092/homeland-season-2/60#post_3999067
The whole tailor shop shootdown was too '24' for my tastes. One week they send Brody to pick up the Tailor because they have no resources available and in this episode they have a trained and well equipped Tactical Team? A bit too contradictory in story telling logic for a show that rarely stumbles in such matters.

I think they covered that when they established that the one guy had come into the country to do cleanup. Just not enough time before.
I did like that unlike 24, there wasn't a super gun battle one side just caught the other flatfooted and it was over in a hurry

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Lou Sytsma /t/323092/homeland-season-2/60#post_3999067

They also sent Brody because he was "known" to the Tailor. I also think there was an implied reason of testing Brody after the (non)incident in the safe room. Assuming the container in the wall is "serious," I think a 3-person response team made sense within the internal logic of the show.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I didn't have any problem with the assault team. They've covered their bases pretty well. (I just now got caught up with LAST week's episode mere hours before this week's show airs!)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Everything at the mansion played out in such a way that it really highlighted exactly how messed up life is for Brody. In so many ways, you want to think of him as the bad guy, potential bad guy.. but yet, you look at all he's been through and you realize he's just a basketcase who is struggling to put his life back together. And it makes his character so truly complicated that I don't know if there has ever been anything on TV quite like it. A character who may be a bad guy, but a character you also want to root for to see if he can find his way.

The issue with his family is so complicated it puts them in somewhat the same bind that he is.. something horrible has happened; and they have no outlet valve to really deal with it. The have to keep the secret, but yet how do they keep a secret so big without it deforming their life in some way?

The moment he took the swim at night and it went for a while so you could just see him just let go of the world, and when he floated in the water, arms out as though he was crucified.. whoever did that piece of cinematography.. it was utterly brilliant.
This show week by week completely blows me away.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Everything at the mansion played out in such a way that it really highlighted exactly how messed up life is for Brody.
It was definitely a study in the sins of the past dragging you down. Now that his cards are on the table, he wants to put this whole mess behind him. He sees the life he could have had if it hadn't gotten into bed with Nazir, and he mourns the loss of it.
A character who may be a bad guy, but a character you also want to root for to see if he can find his way.
You've captured Brody in a nutshell. I despise many of the things he's done, the choices that he's made. But I can't help but root for him.
The issue with his family is so complicated it puts them in somewhat the same bind that he is.. something horrible has happened; and they have no outlet valve to really deal with it.   The have to keep the secret, but yet how do they keep a secret so big without it deforming their life in some way?
That scene at the police station captured succinctly the position he is in. Brody the man would have had Dana turn herself in, no questions asked. There is a moral question there, and for him it was easily answered: she needs to pay the price for this mistake she participated in, Walden's son needs to pay the price, and screw everything else that's going to happen. He understands that the lie is a worse punishment for Dana than whatever the justice system will hand down. But on the other hand, he's got a guillotine hanging over his entire world. Either way he loses his daughter. Just brutal, especially since we can't be sure if Estes gave the order to Carrie because he wanted to protect the mission or because he wanted to protect his political benefactor's path to the white house.
One thing I'm certain of at this point: Walden needs to suffer a particularly painful downfall. By ordering that drone strike, he's ultimately responsible for everything that's happened. It doesn't excuse Brody or his choices, but he wouldn't have made those choices without that drone strike. Nothing we've seen from him since has bolstered my opinion of him. Simply killing him would be too easy at this point. He needs to be publicly disgraced.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Well, unfortunately the "Previously on Homeland..." scenes telegraphed the ending for me. I'll be interested to see what Nazir has in store for Brody. Still, it's a stretch to think that a Congressman and potential VP pick could disappear for long stretches without too many questions being raised. What happened to Brody's SUV left in the middle of nowhere? And what of the whole Dana/Finn subplot? Kind of seems wasted...it doesn't look as though Dana will pay a stiff penalty at this point after all, except in the form of guilt.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Michael_K_Sr /t/323092/homeland-season-2/60#post_4003229
Well, unfortunately the "Previously on Homeland..." scenes telegraphed the ending for me. I'll be interested to see what Nazir has in store for Brody. Still, it's a stretch to think that a Congressman and potential VP pick could disappear for long stretches without too many questions being raised. What happened to Brody's SUV left in the middle of nowhere? And what of the whole Dana/Finn subplot? Kind of seems wasted...it doesn't look as though Dana will pay a stiff penalty at this point after all, except in the form of guilt.

I don't know if the Dana/Finn subplot is wasted. Now the victim knows her face.. if Brody goes anywhere in politics, think she won't keep that bit of info handy? I kept questioning Carrie wanting to do the drive by; you'd think part of her would say "if we get close and they make us, he's a dead man" which would keep her back. I'm not sure how I felt about that playing out.. but holy hockey sticks does this show sell a sex scene... what made it better was the look on Carrie's face when Brody laid out "you wanted me to fuck her, and now you're on me for it?" Her facial expression was fantastic. Really, this show does a whole heck of a lot with non-verbal or non-lingual scenes.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by mattCR /t/323092/homeland-season-2/60#post_4003238
I don't know if the Dana/Finn subplot is wasted. Now the victim knows her face.. if Brody goes anywhere in politics, think she won't keep that bit of info handy?

I would think her figuring out it was the VP's son would be of more value. And if the VP runs for POTUS even more so (and even with Brody being VP).

Not sure if the Dana subplot is going anywhere other than to cause turmoil within the family and be a catalyst to Brody starting lose it a little... or a lot.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Paul D G /t/323092/homeland-season-2/60#post_4003965

I would think her figuring out it was the VP's son would be of more value. And if the VP runs for POTUS even more so (and even with Brody being VP).

Not sure if the Dana subplot is going anywhere other than to cause turmoil within the family and be a catalyst to Brody starting lose it a little... or a lot.

If Brody is chosen as the VP on the ticket, it'd have a huge impact as well. that girl would see them up on the podium and know what's going on.. her story would be tabloid gold.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Sunday nights are bad for my fingernails. :laugh: Talk about ratcheting up the tension in tonight's episode... So I guess the big question now is why does Estes and Quinn want Brody dead...to cover up his involvement in the off the book operation so the VP doesn't find out? There's too many other people involved in the operation to keep everything under wraps should Brody disappear. And what role does F. Murray Abraham (a VERY welcome addition) have going forward? Should be a great final three episodes.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Well, Brody is a double agent who was going to assassinate the VP and cabinet...maybe killing him is the best thing to do.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I wonder what the deal is with Brody too. Didn't you feel he was holding something back during his questioning in front of Estes, Saul, Carrie and Quinn? After revealing the details of the plot, he was asked if there was anything else. A flashback showed him praying with Nazir, but he said nothing else happened.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Oh, he flat out lied when asked if there was anything else.
Of course, now his bridges are burned with Nazir, since Brody is the only person who could have tipped the authorities to the plot against the VP and returning vets.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I loved the discovery that our other "analyst" is really a black bag waiting to take Brody out. I figured that had to be in the mix somewhere, but loved how that turned up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks