What's new

Home Theater virgin (2 Viewers)

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
Will pick up the receiver today. Went over the 717 manual very quickly yesterday will try to make the initial connections today and let you know how it goes.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Cool. I'm headed to Bloomington Indiana sometime today...and won't have much internet till Friday. So, the OM will have to be your friend...

I even have a busy day Friday and Saturday...

Replacing the radiator in my Sub Forester(started smelling of antifreeze yesterday and "poofing" every once in a while...so radiator has to go. Water-pump was done with the TB last year)

Bought another AMC Gremlin(bought this one for spare glass) in another state and hopefully will have my trailer back Friday so I can go pick it up this weekend(trailer spun a bearing and it is the open hub style, which I don't have tools for).

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
Ok connected everything I have to turn the volume all the way up to 85pcnt for it to be theater style. 75 is minimum. Is that expected? Also my friend broke one of the surround speaker cones. I tgink it is plastic. How do I fix it. Can I get spare cone somewhere.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
In the days of "volume doubling" volume controls...

Yes. Change it to the other way where 0db is the reference. Most people offering advice use volume the other way. Typical TV listening is -25 and movies anywhere from -15 to -10.

And what part of the cone? If the center, that is just a dust cap. Can't imagine how you'd break the entire cone.

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
I have to put it at 0db for it to be loud enough.He was lifting the speaker to move it and stuck his thumb in the woofer cone and cracked it. That speaker sounds very ugly now. Can I just put tape on it or do you suggest something else.I will go home tonight to take a pic of the damage and speaker settings

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
0db seems like more power than I thought you'd need, but that is a big room.

Conversely, I'm doing a review of the Pioneer Elite SC79 and in my 40x40 room pushing DCM TF600 and TF350(which are not as efficient as your Mission) I'm listening to the Broncos/Chiefs at -35.

But I'm not rocking the room either. I watched Underworld: Awakening Friday around -10 and that was totally rocking.

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
Yeah its a 1600sqft totally open basement the sound from the remaining speakers are Crystal clear at any volume except the damaged one

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
Here is the picture of the tear. The one on the box is actually torn the rest is superficial: Can i stick something on this short term while i the woofer..

torn.jpg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Once you've broken the cone...Re-coneReplace the entire thing.That is a common enough driver you can find a whole one. If you want to re-cone, I'm sure you can find a place to do it.For the short term, you could stick on some tape(both sides...ie, remove the driver). Go to the hardware store(Fed office will have it also) and get clear ribbed shipping tape.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Probably yes.Yes it is just the 4 screws. Since that listing doesn't show the front (on my phone)...You need to remove yours and check model number.

csh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
chandan
I tried to open the driver but one of the screws is stripped. So i have put tape for now and the sound is better for now. I will just look for good mission tower sepakers on ebay/kijiji

I brought the speakers close together and recalibrated them. There is a major loss of bass. Then i went into level calibration and the sub was set to +1db. I changed it to 4db and the bass is much better but the treble has completely died. Any ideas on how to fix?

Also Audussey set the crossover as follows:
Front 150Hz
Centre 60Hz
Sorround 40Hz

Does this make sense? Why is it so high for the front. I have biamped it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You don't need to bi-amp the fronts, but yes, given you did that 150hz makes sense(cause Onkyo actually separates bass from treble in bi-amp mode).

this +1 to +4...was that subwoofer gain or tone control?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks