What's new

Home theater system help (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Bluetooth in an AVR means you can pair your phone/tablet/computer to it via bluetooth...just like you can in a car. (basically means you don't need a 1/8th to 1/8th cable or a 1/8th to RCA)

AC2020x

Auditioning
Real Name
AC
The only one of those that I'm semi interested in is HDMI Upconversion (might be nice).

I don't need Dolby ProLogic IIz, 2nd zone, or 3D.

At this point I'm thinking I'd rather stick with the lower price than go for some of the newer/ better technology. The projector I have is certainly good.. but its also about 5 years old (so certainly not the best). Same with the speakers I am using.

It might be nice however to buy a high end receiver, when way if (when) I decide to upgrade to a nice TV/ better speakers, it will be able to support newer technology. I guess that's a decision I will need to make.

AC2020x

Auditioning
Real Name
AC
schan1269 said:
Bluetooth in an AVR means you can pair your phone/tablet/computer to it via bluetooth...just like you can in a car. (basically means you don't need a 1/8th to 1/8th cable or a 1/8th to RCA)
Ok, I'm leaning towards the 313 on amazon for about $200. I don't need to connect by bluetooth for any reason. I also have a wireless HDMI screenbeam, which my computer can connect to wirelessly using intel Widi. That way I can watch stuff on my computer wirelessly to my projector.

I don't think I need anything much more than the 313, so I'll probably buy that from amazon. Thats why I havn't bid a lot on the 160 from ebay. In case I decide to buy from amazon before that listing ends. Plus I'm currently the high bidder up to around $50 right now.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
AC2020x said:
It might be nice however to buy a high end receiver, when way if (when) I decide to upgrade to a nice TV/ better speakers, it will be able to support newer technology. I guess that's a decision I will need to make.
Actually, that's close to the exact opposite approach one should take, IMO. In most respects, the AVR is the most "disposable" component of your system - so one should be careful not to overspend on something that, inevitably, will be outdated within 18-24 months.

You're much better off spending extra on speakers - a good set will last decades. Speaker "technology" hasn't changed that much in recent years - certainly when compared to any other component in a system.

As Sam has suggested - the best way to shop for an AVR is to determine your connectivity and feature needs, then find the model that best fits those needs. If something new comes along (and something new ALWAYS comes along), you can deal with it then and not feel so bad about replacing a $250 AVR vs. replacing a $900 AVR.

AC2020x

Auditioning
Real Name
AC
That's a good thought.

Right now, I'm not really in the position to get any crazy home theater system set up. My dad gave me the projector, the speakers (which are pretty nice) and the old AVR (which can't take sound from HDMI and give it to the speakers).

So at this point, I agree.. I'm best off going with a cheaper $200 avr that suits my current needs, and later on upgrading if needed.

Thanks for the help you guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks