What's new

Home theater speakers (compact and bookshelf below $3k range) (1 Viewer)

Rostam

Auditioning
I was wondering if some of the expert out there could help me. I am looking for a 5.1 home theater system. My preference is satellite speakers since I don't like bulky speakers in my living room. That being said I am willing to spend up to $3k for it. Can you please let me know for that price range what is my best option for both bookshelf and satellite systems. Also does anyone have experience with B&W MT-60D. Would you recommend it?Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I looked up that system and my "on paper" impression...1. Way too low on the efficiency front. 85db is ridiculous.2. 55hz(looked a couple hours ago...could be different, but well below 80) from a 4" driver**? Really? Def Tech with a 4" driver and two 4" bass radiators doesn't even pull that off.3. Typical small speakers for people who choose aesthetics over sound quality. Then again, my smallest "main channel" speaker in my house is the Polk S6*. 3 of my 4 theatres are floor standing speakers on the main 4 channels and one of those has 6 tower speakers out of the 9(7.1 plus height)...and the height channel speakers still pack a 6" woofer.

*The Polk S6 is close to 2 feet tall. Reaches a usable 45hz and is 91db efficient. And that is my "smallest, least capable" speaker as my main left/right.

**Every other 4" driver speaker, not a Def Tech with bass radiators, reaches 100hz...at best. 55hz is dubious. And yes...I saw the product literature stating 55hz(???) is the -3db.

Rostam

Auditioning
I know... I wish I could go somewhere and listen to it live.... No close by dealers where I am... If anyone has this or has heard it please let me know your experience. Also what speakers would you recommend for best (no larger then bookshelf) with budget of $3k tops.Thanks.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Rostam. Never heard it myself but that B&W system got multiple good reviews, doesnt seem like a bad choice at all. However if you can find the room for a pair of subs I always encourage spending a little less on the speakers and a little more on a really good sub (preferably two subs), that B&W eats your whole budget for 5.1. The Hsu package Martin suggested isnt a bad choice, especially if you add a second sub to that system (and you would still be well under budget). I would also check out Axiom packages, they have an excellent in-home trial program.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks