1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Home Theater Speaker Decision

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by RCouter, Oct 26, 2013.

1. RCouter

RCouter New User

Rick
    I just replaced my Samsung AV-R720 (it got scratchy in the audio, I suspect the capacitors in the audio amplifiers). with a an Onkyo TX-NR616 receiver (I couldn't resist for the $318 price). I have it connected to 4 of the Samsung HTIB speakers and the Sub. It sounds OK but I am looking for more. I am considering the Fluance SXHTB+ 5 or the Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers. I have never heard either set before. I only use the 2 front, Center, and Sub from the Samsung system currently. I watch some movies, sports on TV, and listen to music (mostly from iTunes on my connected PC).

I am leaning towards the Fluance speakers because I had a huge pair of AR 9LS speakers years ago and loved the tower look and sound. Also, if I should go with Fluance, should I go with the next series up, the XLHTB?

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Reliance is getting raves for "good inexpensive sound". We have a review of one of their sets here(using my phone, or I'd link it).I would always err toward the more expensive. There must be a reason it costs more. If the answer is simply thicker MDF, more bracing...there has to be something.

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Damn auto correct.Fluance not Reliance...geesh

4. RCouter

RCouter New User

Rick
    I was also thinking with a 30 Day return policy, how could you go wrong? I would not of course be looking forward to boxing and toting over 100lbs to UPS for return shipping. I have never heard of a 30 Day return policy on speakers before. It does speak volumes as to Fluance's confidence in their speakers though.

5. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    They aren't the only ones.Several others do it. The bigger question...Warranty servicing...Send it back, open it and remove defective to mail it or the send you a replacement with a return envelope?

6. Type A

Type A HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Ty
    Welcome to the forum Rick :) Its a shame you can't get your hands on the Pioneer SP-PK21BS speaker package. It was in the same price range and was actually recommended over the Energy system if you could fit the larger speakers in your room. While the Fluance seems like a good deal it also seems easy to find reviewers with some pretty scathing comments, not really so with the Energy system. Heres what audioholics said about the SX..."Weak midrangeCompressed highsMuddy bass when used w/o subwooferCardboard ports on center and surrounds"http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/fluance-sx-htb-speakersThen the XL from digital trends..."Muffled center speakerStrident upper midrange from towersSomewhat clinical sound signature"http://www.digitaltrends.com/speaker-system-reviews/fluance-xlhtb-review/So, I dont know, if you just cant stretch your budget to $450 for the Pioneer SP-PK22BS package I would just go with the Energy. In my mind theres just too many questions with the Fluance packages (even with a good return policy).