1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Home theater NEWB seeks help

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by jonahgabriel, Feb 18, 2013.

1. jonahgabriel

jonahgabriel Member

Hey guys...I am in the process of buying a new house and I was thinking about getting a new home theater setup for the new place as the new living room is about 3 times the size of my current one and I currently own a fairly cheap HTiB. I was thinking that something with AirPlay would be cool so I can beam music from my computer, but other than that, I want something that sounds good for movies and ok for music...doesn't have to be real high end like these speakers a buddy of mine wants me to get. I am looking to spend maybe $2,000 max on everything. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to get? Is a HTiB the best option for me? Also, if I want to add multi-room sound at some point, should I go with something like a Sonos system? Thanks in advance!

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Sonos you add to something else. There are plenty of

3. jonahgabriel

jonahgabriel Member

I do have an iPhone, but I would really like to pull content over the network. I just talked to a buddy of mine at work and he told me that I can accomplish the same network connectivity with Apple Airports and my old Mac Book Pro as a media center. What would you suggest for speakers? I guess I would need 2 front speakers, a center channel, 2 side speakers, 2 rear speakers (preferably wireless) and a sub?

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Forget wireless...as it really isn't wireless...and you can't do wireless without 8 channel pre-out(Onkyo NR717/Pioneer 1522/Yamaha RX-A820 etc) Mordaunt Short Carnival(A4L has great deals) BIC DV(on the short side of your budget) Polk TSI, Possibly even RTi. Klipsch RF/B/C Boston Acoustics Classic HTD.com I think the HSU speakers fit the budget. I could type all day.

5. jonahgabriel

jonahgabriel Member

What do you think about: Polk Audio TSi400 3.1 Tower Speaker System Polk Audio TSi200 Bookshelf Speakers (for the rear) Onkyo TX-NR717

6. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    The speaker package is "more" than buying the 4 things separately. Buy the two 400( $525) with the center ($170) for roughly $700. Then pick a much better subwoofer.

7. jonahgabriel

jonahgabriel Member

8. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Great if you want tiny satellites where you have to set the crossover at 120-150hz.