1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Home theater into a computer monitor?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Cheetashock, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Cheetashock

Cheetashock New Member

I have two computer monitors:
    [*] 19 inch Main Monitor with DVI and VGA inputs
    [*] 16 inch Secondary Monitor with VGA, RF, and Composite inputs
    [/list] What I might want to hook up to the main monitor:
    [*] PC (With 1 DVI and 1 VGA output)
    [*] PS2
    [*] XBox (Original)
    [*] iPod Touch (I have a composite cable)
    [*] Gamecube
    [*] Maybe some HDMI devices in the future but I currently have none.
    [*] Maybe cable TV (only if easy/cheap)
    [/list] I only want to hook up my PC to my secondary monitor. I also have a component/composite switch if necessary.. . I would have all the audio go out to headphones or some speakers (I currently don't have any good speakers). Basically I am asking for help on how everything would hook up, or what I would have to purchase. If you have any questions, just ask.

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    A real AVR with HDMI upconversion. Those are as low as $250 at the moment. Pioneer 1022 and Onkyo NR515.

3. Cheetashock

Cheetashock New Member

Is there a component to VGA converter box of some sort, or is that impossible?

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Yes those... Cables Adapters Converters Exist. Cables only work if the "source" and monitor are the same resolution. An adapter is just something you stick on the cable. A converter(powered that you plug in the wall) takes the component signal and changes it to VGA. And it is extremely rare that a cable/adapter works. You'll most likely need a converter. And good luck searching Amazon/Ebay/NewEgg for a converter as you have to weed throught the "idiot sellers" that don't understand the difference. Add to that VGA>Component is much more common than Component>VGA...and before you ask, no...they don't work "both directions".