What's new

Home Theater Forum 2007-2008 Award Winners Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
awards2007_dvdawards400.jpg

Home Theater Forum Awards

This is the official discussion thread concerning the results of this
year's HTF AWARDS.

You can find the winning results by clicking here

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Wow! Only the fact that it isn't a TV show kept Blade Runner from sweeping the Bests. Heck of an achievement. Congrats to Warner Bros on this and their 4th? 5th?? consecutive Studio of the Year!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I like how WB got both several best ___ awards while also getting the worst SD. Their T&J releases are a black mark on their otherwise fine treatment of animation. Like I've said, six volumes of chronological MGM cartoons would be spiffy...

Too bad some other great releases were a bit overlooked like Criterion's The Third Man SE and The Jazz Singer. They're just as complete of film packages as Blade Runner. I'm surprised that Star Wars didn't manage to squirm its way into the polls this time, too. :D

My regret is that I haven't picked up any of the Blade Runner releases yet since I'm waiting until I can get into BluRay.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Congrats to Warner Home Video for a well deserved repeat win as "Best Studio"! With their ambitious line-up for the 85th anniversary celebration it isn't too early to annoint them champs for 2008 is it? :)

I take nothing away from BLADE RUNNER; I just hope that the other excellent releases that WHV put out in 2007 (Popeye, Jazz Singer, Rooney/Garland, etc.) get their just due. Several other studios put out first rate box sets also (Sony's 3 Stooges Vol 1 and Fox's Chan Vol 3 come to mind).

Steve

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
No surprise to me that Blade Runner took a bunch of awards. Almost 2 months later and I'm still working my way through the set, little by little.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No surprises in the "best of" categories. Too bad. I think the BR set is fine, but I'm not sure it deserved to win in every category.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Well, Blade Runner is a great set, and the HD versions are a steal at their price point; but I would not have minded seeing the wealth spread around a little bit. As nice as it looks, I would offer up Ratatouille as the 'hands down' best transfer (at least in HD media.) A flawless presentation and the best release of the year for my money.

Calling Battlestar Galactica the Worst HD-DVD is not an opinion I would share. Yes, the packaging is awful, but the Season 1 HD-DVD offers some compelling content in a fine presentation.

- Walter.

AbbyNormal

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Heise
I hope the reason the Ford at Fox set got votes for worst packaging is the lousy way the discs were presented. Hard to get off the spokes, hard to put them back, and the material used mars the edges of the discs. Fortunately they all play, but this is not acceptable. I hope that any other large format packaging like this learns to make this better. Suggestion: use harder plastic-easier to work with and rarely scratches!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Blade Runner is a popular choice, and a damn fine DVD set, shame some of the love didn't go to "The Jazz Singer" which was a pretty stunning if low key set.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
WARNER BROS, STOP PUTTING OUT INTERLACED CARTOONS ON DVD... WOULD YOU RELEASE A NON-PROGRESSIVE DVD FROM YOUR REGULAR FILM LIBRARY?!?!?

WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT TO PROGRESSIVELY FLAG TRANSFERS?!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I have to say, I think these awards are useless and reflect a very limited opinion.

The major sci fi blockbusters (Star Wars, Bladerunner, Harry Potter, etc) always win the most votes from their active fanbase whereas smaller yet equally deserving titles that didn't even get nominations are always neglected. How Fox garnered an almost 16% vote for worst studio is baffling to me... especially with all the thought and care put into their classic catalog titles this past year! Missed oppurtunity, despite what anyone voted, belongs to Chinatown without question. Worst packaging goes to The Apartment hands down. Worst transfer... how's about all the interlaced crap that Warner's been releasing lately?? At least the worst studio category is a pretty accurate reflection of the majority opinion.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The Apartment came out three weeks ago so it shouldn't have been eligible for voting. Plus, the BSG and Trek packaging actually damaged discs. The Apartment may be ugly but it didn't kill the discs. :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Like what? I know the T&J sets have had it, but the only other 2007 releases I recall being interlaced are Horatio Hornblower and Dive Bomber.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
The new Acadamy Awards set is apparently riddled with non-progressive transfers.

The Tom & Jerry sets as you mentioned.

It happened on the 2nd Looney Tunes set yet they corrected that, so why do they keep doing this over and over again?

Even their replacement discs for the Tom & Jerry cartoons were incorrectly mastered and not progressively flagged!

I'm sure there were a few other instances where this was the case on select shorts as well.

When are they going to learn from their mistakes??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks