What's new

Home Theater Forum 2.0 Has Arrived! (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Caution, here thar be lolcats!

And if you have feedback, may I recommend:
http://new.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/289628/observations-about-the-new-software

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Hmm. Unsure of what to think yet. Some changes are appreciated. Some losses are not.. the ability to quickly jump from forum to forum (ie, go from TV to AHL, etc.) now requires about five clicks vs. 1 drop down before.. that's a major PITA.

But the look is pretty. I'm sure it's still very much a work in progress.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I like the look and will get used to the new layout but I definitely agree with you about the forum to forum jump. I hope they add that back in.

Oh, and my post count is wrong as well, not that it matters. The avatar is wrong as well. I imagine they're working out the kinks still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattCR

Hmm. Unsure of what to think yet. Some changes are appreciated. Some losses are not.. the ability to quickly jump from forum to forum (ie, go from TV to AHL, etc.) now requires about five clicks vs. 1 drop down before.. that's a major PITA.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
You can add your own avatar straight from your desktop Jim, that's what I did.

I see TonyD's annoyingly distracting avatar has been frozen in time, yay.

Marianne you can add your own avatar if you want, straight from[STOP IT STEVE!]

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I lost posts too. I had 13,330 before the move, maybe Parker or the Huddler support can help us.

It probably means some of the old threads or posts we contributed to didn't survive the move to the new forum.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Hi Marianne,Thanks for alerting us to the issue with your post count.Our lead engineer has started digging into the issue. All of the post counts that are being displayed are directly tallied from the number of posts (from a given user) in the current database. In past HTF upgrades, there had been posts lost from the database so it's possible that your old post count was still counting those (despite those posts, along with others, getting lost).We'll keep looking around and I'll let you know what else we find out.Thanks so much for your patience,Cristina
I had the above PM from stins - hope they can fix it!

cf525

Second Unit

Originally Posted by Jim_C

I like the look and will get used to the new layout but I definitely agree with you about the forum to forum jump. I hope they add that back in.

Oh, and my post count is wrong as well, not that it matters. The avatar is wrong as well. I imagine they're working out the kinks still.
The forum jump is definitely on the list of stuff to get taken care of. I'll keep you posted on an ETA when I hear from our engineering team.

Jim_C, apologies about your avatar. We're looking into it.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
HTF 2.0 is absolutely horrible. Just terrible.

All posts are now "centered" in the middle of a bunch of God-awful advertisements (and this "floating" thing that's always on the right-hand side, following you around like a puppy dog). Yuck!

The worst part is: No "VIEW SINGLE POST" pages anymore. Prior to today, every single post could be isolated on its very own webpage. Now, everything has to stay within the "threaded" mode. Yuck!

And, still worse, I had a lot of the "View Single Post" URLs linked on other sites. Now, all of those links are dead and totally worthless/useless. Yuck!

I'm sure this awful new "2.0" design will grow on me, but right now I'm very sad and disappointed about the changes.

HTF was perfect prior to today (IMO). Why in heaven's name does something always have to be "fixed" when it ain't broken? :(

Edited by David Von Pein - 6/30/2009 at 07:51 pm GMT

cf525

Second Unit
Originally Posted by David Von Pein

All posts are now "centered" in the middle of a bunch of God-awful advertisements (and this "floating" thing that's always on the right-hand side, following you around like a puppy dog). Yuck!
Hi David,

The layout of the site is a modified liquid layout so it contracts for narrower screens, but also expands out to the layout of the most commonly sized monitors. We know the vB version was infinitely variable width, so that's a big change, but hopefully one that folks can acclimate to. Also, the floating side bar can be turned off at your convenience. This setting will be "remembered" as you navigate around the forums. Simply click "Don't Follow Me" in the top right.

https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/thumbs/4/41/dontfollowme.png/1000x500px-LL-dontfollowme.png">[/url]

[QUOTE]The worst part is: No "VIEW SINGLE POST" pages anymore. Prior to today, every single post could be isolated on its very own webpage. Now, everything has to stay within the "threaded" mode. Yuck!

And, still worse, I had a lot of the "View Single Post" URL's linked on other sites. Now, all of those links are dead and totally worthless/useless. Yuck![/QUOTE]
You are correct, there is no longer the functionality to isolate a single post on a page. However, you can link directly to a post and it will get pulled up at the very top of the page. As you'll see on each post at the top right corner, the post has a number in the thread. This number is a link to a post-specific URL. While the post does remain threaded with the other posts around it, any time you use this link, it will load the page with your post at the top of the browser window.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/thumbs/e/e3/postspecificurl.png/1000x800px-LL-postspecificurl.png

Additionally, your external links to single post views should all properly redirect to these post-specific URLs. While these are all on-site, you can see examples of how these URLs redirect in the

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

the ability to quickly jump from forum to forum (ie, go from TV to AHL, etc.) now requires about five clicks vs. 1 drop down before.. that's a major PITA.
I'll definitely agree on this...and it just seems slower in general, especially for posting. But I really do want the drop menu back, unless I'm just missing the more efficient way to go about switching between forums.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
The layout of the site is a modified liquid layout so it contracts for narrower screens, but also expands out to the layout of the most commonly sized monitors.

How?

And, of course, as can be seen above, all HTML code is completely different now...so all of my old, archived "ready for edits" HTF code is worthless.

Goddammit!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by AnthonyC

I'll definitely agree on this...and it just seems slower in general, especially for posting. But I really do want the drop menu back, unless I'm just missing the more efficient way to go about switching between forums.
Nope. You're not missing anything, Anthony. But the new designers say the drop down menus for navigation's sake are at the top of their "To Do" list. It's pretty cumberson getting around right now--without a doubt.

DaveVP: I was always told that (the
stuff) was vb code for vbulletin forum usage. HTML is what's being used here (in a WYSIWYG format).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks