What's new

home made speaker cables? (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
The most expensive Parts Express wire is really nice, I use it.

I agree with power cords. In your house, it is all cheap Romex, and before that, other cheap, dirty stuff. I say if you are worried, get a $500 power thingie and don't waste cash on power cords.

I will always go with 12 gauge for my mains, and maybe something less (white color, architectural) for the rears, as they get very little power and no bass.

However, in life, its easy to spend money, and there are lots of people who will make that happen. Audio cables is a good example.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
and maybe something less... for the rears, as they get very little power and no bass.
If your mains speakers and rear speakers are crossed over at the same frequency, the rears are getting just as much bass as the mains, just not as often. You'd be surprised at how much bass surrounds get.

12ga doesn't gain you anything when you are talking about a 5-10ft run.

Another very good link:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rogerr7/wire.htm

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Just because you can't hear it, doesn't mean there's no difference.
Since presumably the only difference that matters is an audible one, a difference that you can't hear has no meaning. Therefore, there's no point in wasting your time.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, just because a certain person can't hear a difference, does not mean that someone ELSE cannot, and simply because that person does not have the ability to discern subtle differences does not mean they do not exist. Does that sound better? To the less experienced ear, the difference may not be obvious, or rather do not make enough of a difference for that person to justify additional expense, which is why I say it is up to each person to choose for themselves.

...Therefore, there's no point in wasting your time.
I'll agree with that. If YOU don't hear the difference, your money is best spent somewhere else.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
just because a certain person can't hear a difference, does not mean that someone ELSE cannot
It's also true that just because someone "hears" a difference, it does not necessarily mean that the difference actually originates in the different equipment.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's also true that just because someone "hears" a difference, it does not necessarily mean that the difference actually originates in the different equipment.
You are correct. If I take someone who owns a Bose system and put them in a room with a very nice 2ch setup that cost the same as the Bose system, and I GUARANTEE 9 out of 10 will SWEAR that their Bose sounds better, and cannot be convinced otherwise. So the concept behind your point goes both ways.

I think we are reaching the point at which the "debate" becomes pointless as well.

NickCzar

Auditioning
Anyone use Belden 8718 shielded cable (12 awg with 14 awg ground) as speaker cable. It's about 49 cents a foot at Electronics Surplus dot com. I'm thinking about using it for my system of a Sunfire Ultimate Receiver matched up with Martin Logan Ascent Fronts, Cinema center, and Scenario rears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks