1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Home Automation w/Video and Audio

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by John Shepherd, Mar 31, 2014.

1. John Shepherd

John Shepherd New Member

Hi guys,

Really happy to have found these forums! I am in the process of building a new home, and the builder has thrown in the rough-in for Control4 home automation. At it's core and what I'm most interested in discussing is:

- Speakers throughout house.
    - TV/Video in multiple rooms.
    - Home Theater.

All wires for the home run to a central location. All wires for Home Theater run off to storage area right behind the theatre room.

Now I've received a quote on the Control4 set-up, and I'm curious with the current rough in if there are other options I should consider out there that are potentially cheaper? And potentially even nicer and more consumer friendly to set-up.

I've seen things like:

Sonos for audio.
    Smartthings for home automation (which doesn't charge you a subscription for managing your home via smartphone away from the house).

But I haven't really seen anything for managing video well. Any ideas or helpful sites that you would recommend?

Thanks.
    Shep

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Control4, Elan and the many others...

It depends on how you like, or dislike, the user interface.

Whoever your builder is using for this install, they should have a working mock-up somewhere.

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    By the way...

I did the theater and audio system design in a house that is using Elan. This homeowner went nuts. Buying a washer that can tell you when you need to buy detergent. A fridge that has internal scanning to tell you when you need milk.

The "added extra cost" of the Elan?

$157,000...(and yes...that is just the home automation)

The house even goes into a low power mode when no-one is home.