What's new

Home Audio Setup Recommendations (1 Viewer)

rock324

Auditioning
Real Name
Blake
I'm currently building a house and we are wiring for home audio. I would like 2 in-ceiling speakers in living room (probably adding center speaker shortly after) 2 on outside patio, and 1 in garage. I would like to be able to be able to play: a) all speakers at once, b) just 2 in living room, and c) just the 2 outside and 1 in garage. For speakers, I'm looking into Polk RC80i speakers for living room and RC60i for the other 3. My biggest question is the receiver. I have no idea what receiver I should buy. Don't need anything too fancy or expensive (

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
You need a three zone receiver. And they are not cheap. Your looking at most manufacturers flag ship receivers. Ranging from 1300 dollars and up. The Yamaha rx-a2020 is 1500 ish. Denon may offer a three zone "just" stereo receiver for under 1000 from their in command series.

rock324

Auditioning
Real Name
Blake
Why cant I put the garage and outside speakers on the same zone? Therefore only 2 zones.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your "first problem" is the "one" speaker... Nope, don't do it. Even if you want just one, buy a "single source stereo" speaker and run both the left/right to it. Otherwise...don't even bother. There are 3 zone powered AVR on the market...but they are ALL 9 channel(so you can run 5.1 + 2 zones). If you decide the "same zone split in two is fine"... Purchase a speaker switch box. They range from as simple as "plain A/B" to multi-source volume attenuating. A plain one is $20, a remote controlled volume attenuating speaker switch can be as much as $600. $400, is this just for the AVR? If so...Onkyo is about the only 7.1 you are going to find with reasonable zone control.

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
mccambley said:
No one offers a three zone receiver that does not need an outboard amp to run the third zone. You need a two zone receiver and a multichannel amp to run the other zones . Paired with simple volume controls you can control the sound in zone 2 and 3.
Denon offers a 4 zone receiver. It will cost you 5k, and yes as Sam said there are a handful of 3 zone receivers. I just figured since he wanted to add a center to the first zone, a nine channel 3 zone AVR would be the simples solution, especially since he is wiring the house for it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So, you are going to "enter a sound mode" with center activated...so you can send "center" to the garage? Or...what? You can speaker switch anything. I'm just saying "one speaker" is a bad idea...and now that I'm on a computer...not my phone... http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio--Ceiling-Stereo-Speaker/dp/B0000WWP4M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357757725&sr=1-1&keywords=single+stereo+polk http://www.amazon.com/MonoPrice-18AWG-100-Feet-4-Conductor-Speaker/dp/B003KPYRJM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357757748&sr=1-1&keywords=4+strand+wire "One speaker problem" solved. Or, you can still do it the "wrong way" for the same cost. And if "$90 is too much money"... http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PWRC62-6-5-Inch--Ceiling-Dual-Channel/dp/B000MCELG0/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357757993&sr=1-8&keywords=in+ceiling+stereo+speaker And if not completely obvious yet. That Polk and Pyle. Those speakers count as 2.

rock324

Auditioning
Real Name
Blake
Thanks man. So I can put 2 in garage. I like that idea better. Now what about a receiver? Can't I just get any normal 7.1 with a cheap speaker selector? Do you have any receivers I should look at?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Pairs of speakers(or single stereo) is always easier to work with... Do you "need" 7.1 or will 5.1 work? Essentially I ask because... 1. Zone 2 is (typically) analog only. What "sources" are you wanting "zoned"? 2. Not that $400 is a "light" budget...but unless you spend more...the "zone" is an issue... 3. if you simply run a speaker switch off the front right/left, this is so much simpler.

rock324

Auditioning
Real Name
Blake
What if I bought a 7.1 receiver with a speaker selector? Also, I am going to put 2 in garage now.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is fine. Using a speaker selector rules out the need for Zone 2....or...depending one what sources you want "zoned"....use it as 5.1 and Zone 2, with Zone 2 leading to a speaker switch. Zone 2 CAN use the same input as the 5.1...So you have your choice of different...or the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks