What's new

Hollywoodland on February 6 (1 Viewer)

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
DVD studio that releases quite a few movies, now on HD. Their new releases for $29.99.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Yeah, we know. We were just ribbing him. He has so many Diane Lane aliases, I've lost track.;)

PerryD

Supporting Actor

:) Okay, got it. It's kind of creepy though when a few of his alias' have conversations with each other about Diane Lane. I guess it's just meant to bump a thread up, but still creepy none-the-less.

John Lloyd

Second Unit
I just rented this from Netflix. When it arrived the disc was in perfect shape and I was probably the first person to rent it.

Unfortunately the disc would not play on my Toshiba A2 player. The disc loaded successfully and attempted to bring up the menu. When the player's display showed the chapter/time information it did not advance them. The player paused for a few seconds and then displayed an error message. The message indicated that the disc was not playable.

Has anyone else seen this problem? I have played 15 other titles without any problems.

John

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I've had 4 copies of Hollywoodland and they've all frozen someplace in the film or extras. This suggests an authoring problem to me. I like the movie but the disc is a dog.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
That's unfortunate that so many people have issues with the A1, every stutter that I've had has been tracked back to either a bad disc or debris/dust on the disc or lens. The worst stuttering attack I had was when I was really busy with work and didn't even power up the A1 for almost a month. After a few minutes of the disc spinning the skipping stopped. Not that I don't believe there are issues with some of the A1's out there, there definitely is. It's just a shame that so many people are having problems with the player because it is absolutely terrific when it isn't skipping.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
It won't load at all in my XA2 but it loads and plays without a problem in LG player. Rather ironic that this disc will not play in Toshiba's latest and greatest but that it will do fine in the LG Blu-Ray player that is HD DVD capable.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
It's my A2 that won't play the 4 copies of Hollywoodland that I've had. I just installed 1.3 a few days ago and haven't tried the single copy that I stille have yet. However, in chats at AVS, several folks with A2's told me that 1.3 didn't help. My A1, stille at 1.4, did load and play a few minutes of Hollywoodland one day when I tried it. I never experienced any stuttering on any copy of Hollywoodland, just freez-ups.

Folks at AVS have suggested to me that the NEC drive in the 1st generation players is not so reliable and is prone to stuttering. My A1 has had some minor stuttering issues. My benched XA1 had extensive stuttering no matter how clean the discs were and beaucoups of freez-ups. I'm proably gonna send it to Toshiba and see if it can be salvaged...? ...proably...?

It seems backwards that my A2, which has performed flawlessly outside of Hollywoodland, chokes on the bleeder and not the A1. Next time I wanna see Hollywoodland I'm gonna go with the A1 and see what happens. 1st generation players seem to play this disc better from chats I've had...go figur.

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator
FWIW, played the HD side of this disc with zero problems, no stuttering, pauses etc. XA1 (frimware 2.0) the disc was a rental from Netflix

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I've had no problems with this disc playing in my A1 with the 2.0 firmware and the latest one 2.1 or whatever it is. No problems at all.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.