What's new

Hollywood Video starting 3/$25 today on used rentals. (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Blockbuster is running the same deal this weekend, but framed in the context of their normal 2/20.00 deal. Third disc is 5.00 when purchasing two.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
It almost seems like Hollywood video is hurthing its core rental business. For about $4 more per title you can own or buy then resell and come out ahead when compared to renting. About as many racks for selling previewed videos now as there are for rentals in the store. It might not be an appealing arrangement for rental customers.

Next chance I get to stop by HV, I am going to get Mystic River and whatever other titles are of interest. I don't even have a rental membership.

Chris

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
I did the 3/$25 deal at my local Blockbuster.

Picked up: Master & Commander, Open Range (2-disc) and Big Fish.

I called several Blockbusters and it sounds like many are not doing this deal this weekend.

JKS

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Called over to HV, today is the last day for the sale.

So much for getting 'Paycheck' for $8.

Since I'm a regular, my store suggested buying a few more movies now and leaving them unopened.

Then come back in few weeks and report that you checked the reviews and wanted exchange for something else.

Don't think I'll bother though, my wallet is still whimpering from many weeks of $25 purchases.

This sure was a good deal though...

======

Just watched 'Mystic River' last night and traded it back today for $8 (no loss).

It was a good movie, but not a great one (IMHO).

I traded it now because it has no replay value whatsoever (again, IMHO) and will only be worth less later.

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit
Aaron,
If you're still looking for The Triplets of Belleville try the HV on Palmetto Park Road (just west of Powerline) in Boca. I picked it up along with Monster and Buba-Ho-Tep last week. If the sale is still in effect in Boynton, I guess it is in Boca as well.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Another update:

Bad Santa
Barbershop 2: Back in Business
The Big Empty
The Butterfly Effect
Club Dread
Cold Mountain
50 First Dates
The Fog of War
Hollywood North
House of Sand and Fog
The Pianist
The Reagans
Secret Window
Spartan
The True Story of Seabiscuit

The stores in my area said they have no intention of stopping the 3/$25 sale. But I've heard of some stores upping to a 3/$30 sale...still a decent deal to me, but to each their own.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
My local store ended the sale yesterday. They said they thought it was going to 3/30. I haven't checked back yet.
They were selling them all for 8.33 no need to by in 3's
I picked up:
Club Dread
The Last Minute
Pieces of April
Gothika
Monster

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Now that the sale is over, I probably won't be getting too many new releases anymore.

I may throw down for a 2/$20 at some point, but both movies would have to be 'known good'.

I'm generally very happy with the movies I bought during 3/$25 (about 15 titles).

The big surprises for me were 'The Missing' and 'House of Sand and Fog'. I thought both were fantastic.

Other titles: M&C, KB, & LS performed as expected.

On the other hand, 'American Wedding' and 'Cold Creek Manor' were duds.

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
I think we need a list of the $9.99 titles that are buy 2 get 1 free. I still have a gift card to use ugh

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Marc, thanks for the tip! The website now shows 2/$20, so I'm not getting my hopes up. Oh well. An extra $1.67 per movie ain't so bad. :)

What's that about $10 titles that are buy 2 get 1 free???

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Well, color me embarassed; it seems the clerk I talked to was misinformed about the 3/$25 sale continuing, and the HV's I shop at are now selling PV movies at 3 for $30.

Since I still find this to be a decent deal (considering most of these titles individually retail for $20 and up), I will still update the list; I've added about 30 new titles.

Keep in mind some of these are in the 3/$20 pile, while others are in the 3/$30 pile.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Are those the titles that are currently marked $9.99?

They used to do 2/$15 on those, so 3/$20 would be pretty good deal.

I haven't been to HV since the sale ended...

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Yes, they are titles marked at $9.99. The HV's I go to keep the 3/$30 and the 3/$20 bins seperate, so your HV might have a similar setup.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
3/$25 is back on at my local Hollywood Video stores. Took advantage of it today. I got:

Kill Bill Volume 1
Secret Window
The Cooler

Those were all $14.99 titles. :emoji_thumbsup:

AND...the clerk was sure to tell me that any additional title I would have liked would also ring up at the 3/$25 price. Good work! :)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Wow, didn't expect HV to put the sale back on so soon.

Picked up 'Bad Santa', 'Spartan', and 'Butterfly Effect'.

Hope the sale continues till 'Hellboy'.

Had to laugh, Coconuts/FYE/Strawberries are charging $18 for used new releases.

BTW, this is where you want to take your trades, they also pay the most for newer stuff.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

For those interested, here's my reviews:

Bad Santa: dreadfully unfunny..avoid at all costs. Sold this back for $7.

Spartan: acquired taste, make sure you're into this style of movie/writing.

Butterfly Effect: decent mainstream entertainment, fairly creepy.

Users who are viewing this thread