What's new

Holiday Price Drops Right Around The Corner? (1 Viewer)

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Story @ Gamers.com
GC for $100? Xbox and PS2 for $150? The Xbox and GC have been out for a year; to see their price slashed in half from their launch price is incredible (especially since they're not going extinct).

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah that's what I'm hearing and I tell you for $99 a cube with Rogue Leader and Metroid seems mighty inviting. And for a $150 a Xbox for my upstairs 32" sounds doable as well.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I've kind of been out of the loop recently but I've heard absolutely nothing about potential price drops this year. While I don't totally discount the possibility it just wouldn't make sense. Sales are very strong so far.

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
I'd have to agree with Camp on this one (not that there's anything wrong with that). Sometimes I think these website editors' sources are any internet forum with a little credibility, where the words "l33t" and "RULZ" are not found. Namely the HTF and others like us. These rumors are self-referencing endless loops.

As I understand it, console sales are UP across the board; Xbox due to bundling, PS2 due to Vice City, and GameCube due to first party.

If these companies do actually drop prices in the face of rising sales and record-setting revenue years, it is a sign that there is a new business model in the footing, and all bets are off. If they are battling this aggresively on price, they are acknowledging how little product differentiation there is, and that this is going to be a close race, and as Yoda put it, "begun the clone war has."

Andre F

Screenwriter
This just doesn't make much sense at this point. Sales on consoles are doing so why mess with a good thing. I can see new bundle etc but not price drops. Still, I'd like to see it come through for those don't already have all three systems.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I can see Nintendo going to 129 maybe, but not to 99. Same with the PS2 & Xbox - I would think we'd see a drop to 179 before we see it all the way to 149.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They could start offering mail-in whatchamacallits or open bundles (like buy a GCN + any full-price game for $180).

Brian E

Screenwriter
I don't see them droping things for the holidays. They don't need to. The current prices/deals are selling well.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Unlikely as it may be, I keep hearing rumors when I'm in EB, and on the IGN boards.

I'll be buying a PS2 after a drop or after the New Year. Whichever comes first.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Point taken, but I'm seeing these rumors everywhere. Keep in mind I've been qualifying my statement as rumors.

None of us will know for sure until :

1) A price drop or bundle occurs
or
2) The holidays pass without event
or in your case
2a) September 2003 comes without event

MarissaH

Auditioning
Sony is dropping the price of the PS2 in Japan for the holidays, which makes sense, because it costs more in Japan anyways. Japanese price drops may or may not be followed by domestic price drops, but I highly doubt anything will happen till after Christmas. There is no reason for any of the big three to drop their prices right now, but if one does it, the other two will be forced to follow.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
If they drop the price of the Xbox to $150 USD, i am SURE AS HELL im gonna get it. Please drop please drop ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks