1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Holiday Challenge 2012

Discussion in 'Movies' started by JohnS, Nov 15, 2012.

1. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Even though I'm finished with the challenge, I watched Bell, Book and Candle last night. It takes place on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day for the first half of the film. Saw it for the first time and enjoyed it. Just might have to get it from Twilight Time.

2. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    This year is a strange calendar year as Hanukkah lands before Thanksgiving. Hanukkah this year will be on Nov 27th(wed). I'll be sure to start the Holiday Challenge earlier.

3. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

John, I really enjoyed this challenge. Although I didn't get to watch a lot myself, I liked reading all the features everyone picked. Now, February is a slow month for me. How about a Sci-Fi/Fantasy February Movie Challenge?

4. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I put on a Fly Nun the other day since I've been stalled on season 1 for years and years and it turned out to be a very pleasant Christmas episode. I said damn, I could have watched that last month! lol

5. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    February is Valentine's/Black History Month Challenge. March would be great for sci-fi Those that are interested, we can do monthly challenges. This is just a proposed list. What do you think? Jan- Western Feb- Valentne's/Black History Month March- Scifi April- animation May- Classic/Film Noir June- I love the 80's & 90's July- Documentaries Aug- Criterion or Foreign Sept- Action & Adventure Oct- Horror (the only challenge where we keep actual totals) Nov & Dec- Holiday Challenge & Turkey Day(MST3K) Also, would people like to have Just one thread titled "Challenge 2013" and you just have one main list all separated by months and then when it comes to the horror challenge you keep the totals in that list or we can make a separate thread for it. It would be easier on the editing and keeping track. Then again we don't even have to have challenge lists except for horror and holiday ones.

6. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    One thread would work just fine. The "track" threads used to have a good conversation/review thing going but it died out so maybe this here can get a little more action going.

7. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

March is fine for a Sci-fi challenge. I'll be participating in that one. I'm not too keen on one thread fits all. I don't care if the others are bunched together, but October horror movie challenge deserves its own thread.

8. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I'll just keep everything separate. Keep an eye out for the valentine and Black History month challenge in a few weeks. And Scifi challenge in March.

9. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Screenwriter

David Matychuk
    "Holiday Challenge 2013" anyone?

10. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I'm still trying to find my holiday stuff somewhere underneath all the non-holiday junk in my place. :blink:

11. moviebuff75

moviebuff75 Supporting Actor

Eric Scott Richard
    I used to have to dig for mine too. I ended up putting all of mine in an album so that I don't miss anything.

12. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I haven't gone that route yet. A bunch of cardboard boxes that all look the same. I need to organize.

I did fine a box with a bunch of christmas stuff in it. My Rankin/Bass, some movies (Scrooged, etc), Emmit Otter, and a bargain bin Mill Creek set full of badly transferred christmas cheer! :D

13. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Screenwriter

David Matychuk
    Here's a few new Christmas-related Blu-Rays released this year. I've checked them out for general quality, but I'm saving some of them to watch later:
    - "All Is Bright", a new dark comedy (nobody gets killed) with Paul Giamatti and Paul Rudd. I think it went direct to video, but I thought it was excellent, with only the tiniest bit of hard-earned holiday uplift, though it is certainly there.
    - "The Bells Of St. Mary's", the Bing & Ingrid classic, with better quality than has previously been available. No trailer though, which is on the old DVD. You do get an interesting essay in a booklet.
    - "A Christmas Story", a "30th Anniversary Edition" as it turns out, in a steelbook with a DVD (Disc 1 of the old 2-disc DVD in fact) and Digital Copy. The audio is now DTS-HD Master Audio instead of the previous Blu-Ray's Dolby Digital (which was at a higher bitrate than the DVD), and they've added the Jean Shepherd radio broadcasts from the DVD, and one new featurette (in HD) about the house the production used for exteriors. I think it was worth getting.
    - "The Nativity Story", which finally is on Blu-Ray. There's a "Making Of" featurette that was not on the original DVD, and the transfer greatly improves on the DVD (it's included, so you can see for yourself).
    - "Surviving Christmas", which I suppose was released on Blu-Ray due to the unfortunate passing of the great James Gandolfini. I have a high tolerance for anything Christmassy (I'll defend "Deck The Halls", but only on Blu-Ray) but although the entertaining bits of this one are definitely there, they're few and far between.
    - "The Bishop's Wife", which I believe has been recalled due to a video glitch (a few frames of a later scene pop up at a transition about half an hour in), though it's otherwise well worth getting. I'm sure Warner Home Video will make replacement discs available in time for next Christmas.
    - "Stalag 17", which is not usually thought of as a Christmas movie, is entirely set at Christmas, so this terrific new Blu-Ray of a great movie qualifies for me as first-rate alt-Christmas viewing.

I'm glad to have all of these (even "Surviving Christmas") on Blu-Ray.