What's new

Hold off on buying a new macbook / macbook pro for just a bit (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina /forum/thread/297885/hold-off-on-buying-a-new-macbook-macbook-pro-for-just-a-bit/30#post_3678341

I've found the solution to that. I don't buy ANY product except on closeout or on release date. There is no in between.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by Sam Posten ">[/url]

I've found the solution to that. I don't buy ANY product except on closeout or on release date. There is no in between.
[/QUOTE]That's my policy as well, especially when it comes to Apple gear. And in accordance with said policy, my next MPB will be on order as soon as I can get onto the Apple store after the refresh happens.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Looking more likely. Don't forget this is NAB week too:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/09/15-inch-macbook-pros-mia-on-bestbuy-com-long-awaited-refresh-re/

http://expo.nabshow.com/annual10/public/Calendar.aspx?ID=306&sortMenu=105001&MainMenuID=272

And monday is a huge day for Adobe
http://cs5launch.adobe.com/

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
If this should happen, where do unsold old MBPs go to die? What is the best way to get last year's model? Afterall, even a 1st gen MBP is better than anything I currently have.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Apple usually blows em out through their recertified program. Like a 10% discount max. You can't get huge savings buying slightly old macs, the world just doesn't work that way. =)

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=OTY2ODY3Nw

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Last edited by a moderator:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm thinking Monday for NAB instead of Tuesday but I say it's 99.99999% this week!
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/10/macbook-pro-updates-imminent-really-part-numbers-appear/

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
So anyone think they'll finally update the 30" Apple Cinema Display along with the 2010 MacPros whenever those appear? The kick stand on my ancient 20" ACD got busted and I really, really need a replacement. I've been holding out for years hoping Apple upgrades the 30" ACD to LED/Display Port.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The rumor I'd read was that the 30" was going to be replaced with the 27" panel that's currently being used on the iMac. Those screen issues that affected the 27" iMac kept the Cinema Display refresh from happening until Apple figured out what the problem was (was it due to firmware, software or panel defects?). Now that the issues with the iMac screen are largely solved, Apple will be ready to release the 27" ACD as a replacement to the 30". Can't remember where I read this, might have been Macrumors.

So anyone think they'll finally update the 30" Apple Cinema Display along with the 2010 MacPros whenever those appear? The kick stand on my ancient 20" ACD got busted and I really, really need a replacement. I've been holding out for years hoping Apple upgrades the 30" ACD to LED/Display Port.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just thought of this, given the pissing contest that currently going on with Adobe and Apple. Adobe is set to debut CS5 tomorrow, a package we all know costs beaucoup $$$. What if Apple followed that up with their normal release date Tuesday and effectively said "hey consumers, instead of spending all that hard earned dough on CS5, here are some shiny new i5/i7 Macbook Pros for you to consider!" The timing would likely be coincidental, but still...

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Actually, I don't think the timing is coincidental, but it's not a matter of the companies sniping at each other either. This week is the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) convention, a huge show filled to the brim with the kind of media professionals that are an important audience for both companies' products. In fact, Apple iMO is more likely to be saying, "Hey guys, you need our shiny new i5/i7 Macbook Pros to run that fancy new CS5 suite on!!".

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Also, if one is poised to make a major CS5 upgrade, one might welcome speedy new hardware to run it on.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping you guys are right, though personally I'd rather have a Mac Pro update. But if the specs are a significant enough improvement over my 2007 2.33GHz C2D MBP, I might pull the trigger on a new MBP.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Apple Store is down!!

Apple Insider is reporting (via a tip) this IS the long-awaited MBP refresh. Intel Core Processors (of course), and the following screen options: Glossy, Hi-Res(!) Glossy, and Hi-Res Glossy w/ Anti-Glare(!). Also, SSD options up to 512GB!

We shall see...

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

The rumors were dead on.
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

100% glossy. No BluRay still. F you apple.
15 & 17 inch models have an anti-glare display option (not "anti-glare glossy" as I stated above, just "anti-glare").

There is indeed a 512GB SSD, but... $1300!! Yikes!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.