What's new

Hockey Talk: The Official NHL 2008-2009 Thread (1 Viewer)

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
This is a question for people who get the CBC broadcasts of the Stanley Cup (or the reg-season). Doing the breaks between periods, who are the 2 men´shown . I think it is "the Coaches Corner" - in particular the right man with the "loud jacket and ties" ?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The guy with the wardrobe is Don "Grapes" Cherry, flamboyant and loudmouth former coach of the Bruins, who sometimes had his bull terrier Blue sitting on the bench with him at the Boston Garden.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Don Cherry has been an institution on CBC's Hockey Night in Canada for many years. As Jeff stated, he is also a former NHL coach -- most famously for the Bruins in the 1970's (and later with the old Colorado Rockies). He is quite outspoken, flamboyant and a real "character". I think a lot of it is just an act for TV, personally. He is also a huge supporter of hockey at all levels in Canada. He used to own a junior team in the OHL, and currently co-sponsors an annual junior "prospects" game with a former player of his you may have heard of... Bobby Orr.

Cherry's straight man for the Coach's Corner segment is Ron McLean. He has also been on HNIC for many years.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I was hoping the Flyers would force a Game 7, as I did not like seeing the Blackhawks celebrating on Philly ice. But the Flyers did look like they ran out of gas at the end.

Congrats to the Chicago Blackhawks, the 2010 Stanley Cup Champions.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

Sorry, Walter. I too was hoping for a game seven.

Congratulations, though, to the Black Hawks. Since I wasn't following the NHL back in 1961, this is the first Cup of theirs that I can recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks