What's new

Ho Ho Ho, let it snow! (1 Viewer)

LewB

Screenwriter
The media in this area is doing their best to hype it up and panic everyone already. We'll see in a couple days if it's all justified.
That's what drives me nuts, is the hype before. It's a snow storm for crying out loud, they happen every year ! It's normal.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I'd be a bigger fan of snow if I could get it and a temperature of 72 degrees at the same time.
We came close to that. It actually snowed here last night, albeit a small amount. The second time I have seen it snow in my six years out here. :emoji_thumbsup:

Looks like its the start of a serious plague. Everybody is being sniped, dying with the flu, eaten by sharks, abducted in parking lots,being ravaged by snow storms, or just plain being killed by Scott Peterson. Now with it snowing in Vegas I guess you could say hell has frozen over. :D

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Can't win. You under-forecast the snow, people complain. You warn of a storm 2 days in advance, people complain.

I think the "hype" is justified in this case because, although the storm isn't likely to be as big as last weekend's, it should be more dangerous, as much of the northeast is forecast to switch from snow to mixed precip/sleet late Sunday into Monday - which is obviously worse than the all-snow event most of the northeast had last weekend. This could be a major event, since the Albany National Weather Service office has already issued a Winter Storm Watch for Sunday -> Monday, as they are usually more conservative in issuing WSWs than surrounding offices. For last weekend's storm, they didn't put up a WSW until about 24-36 houts before the snow began.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
We're flooding down here from the last snowfall and thursday's rains and warm temps... WNBC-NY was broadcasting from a place that's less than a mile from where I work last night. I actually drove by the newsvan on my way to our company's holiday party. They are always there on Fayette Ave or by Hoffman Grove when it floods...

Jay

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
We went hiking by the Potomac here in DC today, river is crazy high. 11 or 12 ft higher than normal, large parts of the trail by the river were completely flooded out. Made for some mud bog hiking! More snow coming tonight, though they claim it's supposed to turn into rain by the morning. We'll see how accurate the weatherdudes prove to be...

Andrej

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
OK, up here in northern Passaic Cty, we got about 3.5 inches of wet snow... Looks like if it doesn't rain tonight, I can bike in. Supposedly it's supposed to get warmer as the night goes on. My studded tires haven't arrived yet.

Jay

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
Weatherdudes were spot on here in DC. Snow overnight, 3-4", changing to rain by morning, tapering off by noon. Exactly what happened.

Andrej

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Let's see... We got about a half inch here in central Arkansas Friday night and it was gone in about 4 hours. For some reason, it only seems to snow when it's 36°. I'm looking forward to our yearly ice storm which should hit in mid to late February.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I just got my pair of Nokians Mound and Ground studded bike tires with 160 carbide studs.... Damm they are fine tires, I was have too much fun out there. The streets here are OK without studs but when I hit the trail which is all hardpack snow/icy and very rutted, what a difference. I need a shraeder adaptor so I only put the front one on (it's more important to have traction in the front) I can feel my front tire tracking somewhat while my rear tire is following the ruts, sometimes to the effect that I'd be biking sideways a little bit, but it is very effective and works very well for the conditions in NJ where we typically don't get hammered alot but get alot of ice/freezing rain.

Jay

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, they weren't far off with this storm (hard to be too wrong when your snowfall projections have a 100% margin for error built-in). Though one of the local talking heads said this storm wouldn't be as bad as the last one and it really ended up being even worse.

The forecast for tomorrow's storm basically lists every possible type of weather (rain, snow, sleet, freezing rain) so they'll at least be partially right whatever happens. :rolleyes

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
That's got to be the only profession I know of where you get paid a lot of money for being wrong all the time and never having to take any responsibility for your screw-ups.
No, that's Congress. :)

Weathercasters (is that a real word) are exactly the same, except they are also expected to look good on the Weather Channel.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The forecast for tomorrow's storm basically lists every possible type of weather (rain, snow, sleet, freezing rain) so they'll at least be partially right whatever happens.
What's wrong with that? It's very possible to have all those types of precip in one storm. Here in Albany with this past storm, we had snow, sleet, and freezing rain (but at 20-25 degrees, it was too cold for rain).

However, here in Albany we got way less snow than they predicted because of a much quicker-than-expected changeover to sleet. We only got 8" of snow - all the TV stations and the National Weather Service forecasted about 18-24", with one station as high as 20-30". The storm took a bad (unexpected) track, and screwed us out of a foot or more of snow. :angry: Ah well, there's still a long way to go in winter.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
What's "snow"?
Well it's never too late to learn.

I'm sitting here in my office looking out the window towards the south. Something funny is going on. These small white particles are drifting down gently in the air. Is this "snow"? :eek: This never happened when I lived in San Jose.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for freaking me out Dennis. :D

I see Jay's post at the beginning of the thread and he's in NJ...I was like "Snow???" - Man, it was 60 degrees in CT today - I couldn't imagine how NJ would be getting 12" of snow soon. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks