What's new

HMV UK Have Some MASSIVE Bluray titles available to pre-order (1 Viewer)

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Not sure how accurate this is but normally HMV in the UK do not put Bluray up to pre-order unless its confirmed.

They currently have the following unannounced titles up!!!!

ET: The Extra Terrestial
Back To The Future Trilogy
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
The Abyss
True Lies
War Of The Worlds
Armageddon (well I know this is possibly coming in the next year as Michael Bay said it needs additional work to fix the VFX for BD).
Lion King
Aladdin
Alien Quadrology

Plus several other big name classic titles. If this is true then its a bonanza for BD lovers everywhere (Time to start concealing funds from your loved ones to cover these purchases!!!).

I could easily imagine that the studios would love to get these out to market soon as its a good way to generate a lot of revenue from the BD fans who tend to get suckered into these blind buy's!!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
A lot on that list is Spielberg produced and/or directed stuff, so I am hoping the pre-order is accurate. If it's coming to Europe, it should be heading our way as well. I still say Spielberg's refusal to release his catalog on Blu is hurting player sales potential immeasurably.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
The Lion King and Aladdin in one year? I can't see that happening. Also The Abyss and True Lies need their new masters approved by Cameron who's very busy now with Avatar so I suspect if they are indeed coming out it won't be till late next year. I'd buy everything on that list though so I hope this is true.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
I don't buy it. If you look at the coming soon section there are just too many unlikely titles (for example all seasons of The Simpsons) without any dates or information. To me it looks like nothing more than Amazon's notification placeholders.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
If The Simpsons are in there, then they're just placeholders. To be remastered in HD, they would have to go back to the negatives, retransfer them, have their titles (including chalkboard gags) redone, some effects redone in HD for everything up until the recent switch to HD.

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Kris Z.

I don't buy it. If you look at the coming soon section there are just too many unlikely titles (for example all seasons of The Simpsons) without any dates or information. To me it looks like nothing more than Amazon's notification placeholders.

Sorry this is what i was agreeing with. Just getting used to the new forums.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by ChadMcCallum

The Lion King and Aladdin in one year? I can't see that happening. Also The Abyss and True Lies need their new masters approved by Cameron who's very busy now with Avatar so I suspect if they are indeed coming out it won't be till late next year. I'd buy everything on that list though so I hope this is true.
Although many of them are placeholders, Aladdin and The Lion King in the same year could happen. Aladdin isn't a Platinum anymore due to disappointing sales, so Disney could release that whenever they want.
And with all the masters waiting to be approved by Cameron, I think we're going to get all his films on Blu-ray at the same time :D.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
The game is afoot!

Just browsing to pre-order some BD's & not wanting to get anyone's hopes up too much with idle speculation but most of these titles have now got updated artwork (blank image placeholders have been replaced) so I'm guessing why on earth would HMV just make temp placeholder artwork just for their website if these are not all on the way in the near future. Does not make sense to me as there would be a minor cost involved to do this and upload the new placeholders as well as create all the temp artwork. Its not like HMV need the money for pre-orders either as their last results were very strong due to increased demand for home entertainment.

Happy to be wrong but hope I'm right and they are all incoming soon!!

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
It's known that Fox have been prepping the Alien Quadrilogy for BD release either in late 2009 or early 2010. So it's no particular surprise to see that in the list.

However, I'd be surprised if ET appeared on Blu any time soon. Spielberg usually wants to wait until new formats have gained what he considers to be sufficient market penetration. I know Universal own the distribution rights for ET and Spielberg in theory has no control over when it's released, but in practice, Universal won't want to piss him off by going against his wishes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Bruce Morrison

It's known that Fox have been prepping the Alien Quadrilogy for BD release either in late 2009 or early 2010. So it's no particular surprise to see that in the list.
The Digital Bits has said that Alien was pushed back to 2010. And if it does come out in 2010, I'm sure it'll be a fall/holiday release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks