What's new

HK or Denon (1 Viewer)

Curt Jett

Agent
I'm trying to decide between the HK 525 and the Denon 3803. The big plus for the Denon for me is the OSD being able to display over the component output, with limitations I know. I also know there is a wattage difference but is the power of the Denon true watts with all channels driven or not?

I have been able to find the weight of the HK but not on the Denon. Does anyone know how much it weighs?

Thanks,
Curt

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
I have the 3803 and love it. However I have never had an HK in my home. As far as the weight goes I am trying to remember from memory but I think its right around 40lbs. Give or take a couple. I was shocked when I actually picked it up at how heavy it was. With the upconversion and the osd via componet. I dont know how you can say no to the denon. However the remote does kinda suck. But you get used to it.

Curt Jett

Agent
Thanks Matt,
I was all set on the HK but started looking at all the extra inputs on the 3803 and of course I had to start comparing both of these. Have you read anything about the power of it. I know in the past some have had higher ratings than actual output.

I use the HTM MX-500 and love it so the remote is no big deal for me anyway.

Phil*K

Stunt Coordinator
The 3803 weighs 36 pounds. I haven't seen any actual power out measurements even if it chimes in like the 3801 it will still have more power than the 525. The features of the 3803 and the sound is excellent at its price point.

Phil

John Spicer

Agent
I personally am a fan of the H/K though I admit my Denon experience is limited to showroom only. While I originally had wished that my H/K did OSD via component input I have found that to be a non-issue really. Once the system is initially setup, if I ever feel like tweaking it I do it with just the front panel display. The other benefit of this that I really like is that if I have people over and we are watching a movie and I need to adjust something (say its night and were disturbing the neighbors) I can adjust the volume and or bass management and my guests never know it. They just hapily sit there and watch the movie without distraction. In hind site, I would say that Im rather glad my H/K doesnt do OSD over component input.

-- John

Curt Jett

Agent
Well, it seems that the 525 at 44lbs sure packs in a lot more weight for less wattage. This would seem to indicate better power supply and/or other components. I will have to debate a while longer I think.

Oakley

Auditioning
Curt,
I have the H/K 525 and fell in love with it the first time I listened to it. I can't speak of Denon, due to it not being offered where I live. I did compare H/K to Onkyo and Yamaha though. (IMHO) I'm sure Denon makes a quality product also, it all depends on personal preferences. I have had the 525 for less than a month and have not had any problem with it.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Phil*K

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure what the extra weight indicates. I have a RX-V1, which weighs over 60lbs and is rated at the same wattage as the 3803. Some of that is in the chasse as it is solid metal all around. I have read other post that state the amp of the 525 is better. The bottom line is whether it has enough power for what you need and which one you like the sound the best. If this is all equal then which one has the better features.

Phil

DonJ

Second Unit
I love my H/K but its up to your ears. If you can try to get them both in your home for a few days and test them out.

Curt Jett

Agent
I'm using the Klipsch Reference series with two 20-39 SVS subs. I've been using a Onkyo 696 for a couple of years now and I also have a two channel amp for the fronts which is why I am considering the less wattage of the HK. At this time I am probably leaning more to the 525 unless I'm convinced otherwise. It will probably be a couple weeks before I have the funds together for either.

Phil*K

Stunt Coordinator
Curt,

For what this is worth this topic was discussed ad nauseun a couple of weeks back. If you can wade through some of the more colorful comments its a good discussion of the differnces between the two units. Just search for either product and you should find the thread. If I remember right there was around 120 posts.

Phil

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
What is the best deal y'all can find for the 3803 anyway? I get the high 8's to the low to middle 900$ range. Is that about right? And the H/K?

CurtisC

Second Unit
Weight only does not tell the story,Carver made very good amps,sometimes 1/2 the weight of competition,with more power.Check ALL features,you will find a difference.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Well let me put my .02 in since it's been a while I visit this forum. I've been out of the loop a bit in the receiver dept, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt if you want. First, I think the speakers will make the biggest difference between what you hear coming out of those receivers. second, as far as comparing the two receivers, I think that you will be happy with either-they are within the same price range and both great units. Those who own either love their own. features is what you want to look at more than what you will hear because of this and power is not a real issue in this case- it's just not that important; these units will drive most speakers with more than enough room to play with. For the most part- people say that the HK is warmer and better for music and the Denon is a bit brighter and better with HT, but that depends ON THE SPEAKERS!:D ...your room dynamics, your set up, your calibration techniques, your WAF, your... you get the point. Have a good time, since this is part of the fun of the HT world that sucks you in too deeply sometimes, and good luck- either unit will do you well. I am an HK fan but don't let that influence you in anyway :b I do also like Denon. Hey, how about a Marantz... ;)

Jeff Asher

Auditioning
I ordered an HK 225 just the other day, but I was wondering what's the difference between the 520 and 525? I've looked through some specs but didn't find anything really (seems the 520 has more wattage). Just wondering.

I thought about going for a Denon but I just couldn't find as good of deal as the HK. Plus I don't need phono inputs, component switching, or preamps (I'm in college, don't need the extra channels). So all those extras on the Denon would do no good. Though I do watch DVDs more than I listen to music, I still think the HK is right for me.

Also, will Paradigm Monitor 7s go well with the HK? I've heard the 7s with Rotel seperates and they sounded great but the HK is far from a setup like that.

Tim Reed

Grip
Good advice from Jose G above. I recently bought the Onkyo 800 after agonizing over the decision for quite a long time - - considered Denon, HK, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite and Sherwood. Now that I have it, I wonder why it took me so long. You will enjoy any of the recievers you mentioned - - and the differences in the sound of those that you mentioned are pretty small and likely to be lost/drowned out by room acoustics, or the setup of your S/Ws etc etc.

One advantage of the Onkyo 800 (I think the Denon 3803 is in the same boat) - - it has S/W crossovers at 40, 60, 80, 100, 120. This will make a much bigger difference in the sound of your setup - - being able to "crossover" your main speakers at 40 or 60 hz instead of at 80 (which is too high in my opinion).

Jonathan_D

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

The 525 has seven amplifiers, the 520 only five (even though it will process 7.1 signals). I believe the 525's bass management is more sophisticated as well (doesn't it do the multi-channel analog inputs?).

Bert D

Stunt Coordinator
HK 525 all day long for $699 shipped to your door from Onecall and J&R Music, authorized dealers, if cost is a consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks