What's new

HK AVR20II repair or replace? (1 Viewer)

I have an old AVR20II and the front channels have stopped working on it. The rear channels work fine though. I've asked around at a few local shops about repair costs, and just to get an estimate will cost me $40. A couple of places said that a repair like that typically costs $100, but they wouldn't know until I spent the $40.

So, my question is, do I go ahead and get a new receiver, or do I invest more into this one? BTW, I've already replaced it with an AVR225, so I am not in a hurry, but I would like to set up surround in the bedroom too.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
I've got the AVR20 mkII powering a stereo music only system. While it is a nice receiver ,with clean sound, it is an antique (by HT standards). I think you'd be better off getting a Dolby Digital capable receiver for a secondary surround system. And I'd stay with HK too.

That's about what I was thinking too. It just really sucks to be getting rid of something I spent so much money on, albeit years ago.

jwmaui

Auditioning
Real Name
jerry
Are you interested in selling the remote if you don't get yours going? Mine just stopped out of the blue. Also, if you're going to try and repair, see if you can either work on it yourself or use someone local. Sending it back will be very expensive for freight/bench test/parts/return freight...sad commentary for older gear.
-JW

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I know what you mean but you won't even remember your old, ....whatever it was, as soon as you hook up your new H/K 247 (or whatever it will be) :) .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks