What's new

HK 225 vs. 325 (1 Viewer)

SeanA

Second Unit
I have decided on HK for my new receiver, just don't know if I should go with the AVR225 or AVR325. Wattage is very similar, and in fact the 225 is actually slightly higher (55 W vs. 50 W) in surround mode. It seems the main differences are:
1) 225 can do only 5.1 while the 325 does 7.1,
2) 325 has component video switching and 225 does not,
3) 325 has 8 preamp outputs & 225 has only 1.

I honestly don't think I will need anything more than 5.1 capability over the next few years and I don't care or have a need for component video switching, so is there any good reason to purchase the 325 over the 225 ??? Are there any other significant advantages to the 325 that would sway me to spend the extra $$$ ? And can someone explain what are "preamp outputs". Do I need 8 of them ?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
The 325 will allow you to use the two rear channels to send sound to another room. The 225 will not provide this feature. In regards to 8 pre-outs on the 325, it will allow you to utilize a separate power amplifier in the future if you desire more power. The 225 - which does not have these pre-outs, will not allow you to connect an external amp. Also, the single pre-out listed for the 225 is for the subwoofer - same as one of the pre-outs on the 325.

Now, it just comes down to your desire to run sound to a 2nd room or connect an external amp for more power in the future. If your answer is "no" to those two questions, then go with the 225.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I mainly had to make that decision when I bought my AVR225. Although the 325 would have been a much more nice deal I just didn't think it was worth the extra money because I didn't need anything extra for a second room or anything..

Wayne basically stated that if you want to add a power amp in the future than the 325 will offer it but the 225 will not and also an output for speakers in another room. If of course like Wayne said your answer is NO to both of them then just go straight for the 225, I would recommend it. I seriously love mine.

ChrisConklin

Stunt Coordinator
For some reason i HAD to have 7.1, although i don't use it now and prolly won't for another 2 years or so, but i just wanted the assurance that i had the most current technology. I ended up getting the 325 Refurb from onecall for around $460 shipped...you can get it for about $30 cheaper there now. So far i'm very happy w/ the 325 and knew if i only settled for 5.1 i'd have the upgrade bug feeling.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I know how you feel Chris but even though the insurance is there if I want to upgrade in the future I know that by the time I want to upgrade and will have the chance to it I might as well just buy a reciever. Another 4 years down the road or so when i'm in a new house with a room that will utilize 7.1 I am sure there will be 9.1 then or higher and there will be so many new features such as Dolby Digital EX9.1 or something like that.

In the future I would rather just spend money on a new reciever when the time comes because I am sure there will be plenty of new things out there. Look how fast everything has advanced since the beginning of the 90's where everything started to blossom.

Brian Mixon

Agent
Ya...thats exactly how I felt. Get the best 5.1 system I can for now. And way down the road when im ready to go beyond that, who the hell knows what will be avalible. I just sent in for a HK 225 brand new for $300 even. yyup...

SeanA

Second Unit
Thanks Guy,

You have sold me on the 225. I don't have room for any additional speakers and no need for sound in a second room. The ability to connect an external amplifier would be nice since the HK's seem relatively low on power, but not worth an additional $200-$300. I also agree that the 7.1 technology will be 3 years or more down the road for me, and at that time I would probably just invest in a new receiver.

Brian,

Where did you find the 225 for $300 new ???

Brian Mixon

Agent
Sorry but that deal was for a very limited time at Outpost.com. When I purchased it I was told it was the last one. Also they have this thing going on where if you buy atleast $500 worth of stuff, shipping is free. I ordered my HK 225 along with $270 worth of speakers. Thats the reason why I was able to pick the reciever up for the $300 even they had it marked down to. If I would of had to pay shipping, then the HK 225 would have came to $350. Wich is not too far below the typical bottom dollar priced HK 225's that I've seen around on the web. Most of the ones I looked at before I lucked out with this deal, were atleast below $400.
Sorry if I got your hopes up.
Good luck on the hunt.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Sean

The lower wattage that the H/K's line of receivers "appear to have", is deceiving!

(H/K's) Amps, put out real power and are rated as all receiver SHOULD BE. The 50-watts that concern you will crush your current receivers power out put. I won't mention your current receiver out of respect..;), as you said you new no better back then...:frowning:

Either the 225 or 325 would make you very happy from a sound quailty point. Also they are a excellent match for your EM speaks.

Really think about the pre amp outs, you may consider more power/amplification later. The pre outs will allow you to run external amps (on just the channels you want).
If your absolutly sure you won't go that route than the 225 would serve you just fine.

The logic-7 sounds very good with allot of 2-channel material like TV, Cable, and even some music.
As far as new formates coming in the next 4 years, maybe spin offs of current stuff but a completely new formate, doubtfull...

Research both receiver heavily from actual users of them and see what they have to say. Users may make points that you did not think about.

Best of luck in choosing a new Receiver...

Geoff

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Geoff is correct about the power rating. HK also under-rated there wattage. The quality of the power is awesome though, everything sounds very clean and crisp.

As for Logic7, I love it. I think it is better than Dolby ProLogic II and definantly makes any 2 channel signal sound more like a pure 5.1 signal like DTS 5.1 or so.

One reason I bought the HK was because of this feature, I love it. Not to mention the good lookin' front display that nobody else has.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks