What's new

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy DVD review (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
It's on the way from Amazon, so I can't comment on the discs yet, but I saw the movie in the theaters and really liked it. As a fan of the books and radio plays--not so much the TV series--it actually builds on the previous material. Douglas Adams oversaw much of the writing and plot changes, and has always stated every incarnation would be different. The only problem is that it does seem to require knowledge of the previous work to get into it, which is a plus for a cult film, but not a recipe for box office success. If you're coming to the material cold, I'd suggest reading at least the first book or listen to the radio show before popping in the movie. Keep that in mind if you're interested in the film.

Personally, I expect to enjoy having the chance to sit down in a relaxed state of mind with no technical issues, both of which plagued my first viewing.

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
I'm an old fan of the radio dramas and the books. I rented this movie last night with an open mind and could barely bring myself to finish it (I even had to take a break from it halfway through). I'm not even going to compare it to the book because its just a bad movie no matter how I try to look at it. I would not recommend this to anyone, not even as a rental.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
On the other hand, I decided against seeing it theatrically after hearing negative reviews from many who are deeply familiar with the BBC radio series and novelizations. I'll be renting the disc, but suffice to say that my expectations are not high.

I love the radio-play and novelized versions, and I even have a very soft spot in my heart for the oh-so-cheesy BBC-TV version (which, unlike the theatrical film, goes through "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"). I don't recall the reviewer, but it was a critique along the lines of "this film simply didn't capture the tone or rhythm of the material, unlike the BBC-TV version".

Perhaps this material just works better with fakey latex extra heads and sub-tin man quality robots? From the trailers, it seems the theatrical film went all out on the special effects and yet failed to take the same care with the substance and style of the original work(s).

FWIW, I recommend every other iteration of this story, especially the radio-play and novels, but most definitely including the BBC-TV version.

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
To my eyes, the film suffered in respect to two things. One was that they decided to follow the framework of the novels, which was a problem in that the first book had no climax. It just sort of ended at decent jumping-on point for the second book, which was Douglas' intent at that point. This situation led to the massive plot rewrite that we ended up getting, one that was a touch better than I expected, but still somewhat lacked the H2G2 feel. The presence of a more structured plot is the cause of the other issue: the fact that many of the more beloved parts of the various incarnations had to be excised to make room. We had far fewer Guide entries, much of Arthur and Ford's bonding banter on the Vogon ship was truncated, etc. I still enjoyed the movie because I expected the changes (virtually every version has radical alterations), but this isn't the optimal version of the story IMHO.

I have not bought the DVD yet as I have a gut feeling that we will be getting a Special Edition in the near future (few decent reasons for the omission of the documentrary). I will get it at some point one way or another.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
I rather enjoyed the movie, mostly because I didn't expect to. I read the books years ago and felt taht it couldn't adequately been done as a movie. And it was far more than adequate. I do strongly disagree with the people who have complained about the casting, because each of the characters to me embodied the spirit of their previous incarnations.

It's an odd movie yes, but really one should have expected an odd movie. The DVD itself is very nicely done and I found both commentaries very interesting to listen to.

I also would like to highly disagree with the idea that it has no tribute to Adams. It has millions of them. They are laced through the movie and the commentaries.

Bill Hunt

Insider
Wow. I have to say that I'm surprised by those raving about the picture and sound quality of this DVD. My personal opinion is that way too much material was packed onto a single disc. I'm seeing significant over-compression problems, and while the audio on the disc is certainly representative of the theatrical experience, I though the film's original surround mix was pretty lackluster. And the extras were sad indeed, particularly given the documentary that's included on the UK's 2-disc set.

Video, plus Dolby Digital & DTS audio, plus 2 audio commentary tracks and the all additional features to me = WAY too much data shoe-horned onto a single DVD-9 disc. Particularly given the visual and detailed nature of this film.

I'm hoping we'll see a better 2-disc set next year.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Rich, speaking of the audio plays that inspired the film, here is my review of the recent Hitchhiker's Guide: The Tertiary Phase audio CDs, which I just posted to Amazon.com last night. FYI The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy: The Tertiary Phase reunites the same cast and crew who made the original Hitchhiker’s radio show back in the 1980s. Older, wiser, a bit more hoarse, but damn, so good to hear in this new adaptation of the later Hitchhikers’ books:

This audio CDs did much to rid my mind of the sour taste of the Hitchhikers film.

For those who have never tried the radio series of Hitchhikers, you'll need to start with the first radio series:

Original radio series CDs

Or buy every one of the Hitchhikers radio series in one fell swoop in this box set:

Box set of all Hitchhikers radio series

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Just got the discs today. I'll be in the UK later this year and am seriously debating picked up the UK edition for the documentary.

The only thing new I have to add is that the Chicken Little trailer's joke is lost without the original HH trailer.

-paul

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

You really think there is a lot of material crammed on this disc Bill? The extras total no more than 20 minutes. I didn't notice any of the problems you mentioned. But I am a mere novice compared to you. ;)

I dunno. I too thought it looked and sounded fantastic on my 65" Sony. I never read any of the books and I really enjoyed this film.:emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well...I...loved this film! True it isn't quite the same as the original radio series or books but it definitely captured the feeling of the originals and had me laughing all the way.
Reminded me of an odd Time Bandits/The Meaning Of Life/Fight Club/Dr. Stranglove hybrid....if that makes any sense at all...right down my droll, philosophical, cynical & intelligent humor alley.

Loved it.

BTW, obviously Mr. Adams has read the short story "question" as it bears considerable similarity to one of the major plot points in his novels:

:just a side note & an excuse to spread around one of my favorite short-short stories. ;)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey Bill,

didn't notice the problems you mention, but I appreciate you sharing your own impressions...would you mind posting your comments in the HTF review thread for discussion there as well (since that discussion pertains directly to those type of issues)?

dave :)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I also recall a science fiction story in which when the true name of God is discovered by a supercomputer, the stars start winking out one by one (to be replaced by something even more complex). It was a short story, written some time after computers were invented. The point being, it is a standard sci fi concept.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I wouldn't exactly call two stories "standard" but Brown's story was the first as far as I can tell, especially with the whole billions of worlds feeding an eons long program to one specific question done under a massive crowd of onlookers to a rather disappointing and unexpected answer....I would say the similarities to Brown's story are more than just slight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks