What's new

Hitchcock's Notorious from Criterion (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
1 more Criterion sold!
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
One additional point on the Criterion DVD is that the censored dialog has been restored. I haven't seen the Anchor Bay version, but I don't think they had this restoration in their version. I can't remember the Doctor's name, but some name was removed for some reason (probably explained in Behlmer's commentary track) and only the newest restoration has restored this...Again, I think this is correct.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Can someone confirm if the Criterion disc is missing the Selznick logo from the beginning? If so, I find this far more distracting than film grain.
Jeff

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As I recall, this was not a Selznick release, but rather, RKO.
I believe it was purchased by DOS from RKO in the mid-fifies.
Therefore, it was not originally emblazoned with the studio logo.
RAH

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding my Panasonic H1000, I should note after Carlo's comments that I am able to manually shift the player to film mode if it is not reading a flag for the disc. After doing this the motion is distorted, breaks up slightly which tells me again that this is a video sourced transfer. This is what would happen if I manually shift the player to film mode on any video sourced disc. I feel my initial observations are justified. Yes there is shimmering on the Criterion disc (clothing with checked patterns)and none on the AB, say it's a hardware issue or not this is not the quality my set up EVER demonstrates with a well transferred film to DVD, and something I NEVER see with the high quality transfers from Criterion. I'm among Criterion's biggest fans and that is why I am baffled by this transfer. Grain, contrast, film source -not an issue! It's the video transfer that I am referring to.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
As I recall, this was not a Selznick release, but rather, RKO
Correct! I believe during the entirety of his contract with Selznick, the only two pictures that Hitchcock made with the "Selznick International Pictures" title card were Rebecca and Spellbound. I may be wrong about Paradine Case, but I think DOS changed either the name of the company or had some arrangement with United Artists by then.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Yep, it's right on the Behlmer commentary track - the entire Notorious package was farmed out to RKO with a revenue sharing provision form Selznick. Some years later, DOS re-acquired the rights, ripped out the RKO logo, and substituted his own (the film was a huge success when released).
Some hubris, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks