What's new

Hitchcock Set Comming on January 11th, Anyone KNow Anything About it? (1 Viewer)

Matt Rexer

Stunt Coordinator
Just to chime in... great site, Dave! I just started collecting Hitchcock (my Criterion box just came in the mail today - woo!) and your site is going to be an extremely useful tool.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Yes!!!! Welcome Dave. I stumbled onto your site a few months ago and quickly made it one of my favorites. I am also a lover of Hitchcock films.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Dave; do you have any idea why Carlton / Granada hasn't produced a nice big boxset of Hitchcock's earlier films? They must be mad to miss an opportunity like that.

DavePattern

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all of the feedback!

John - I've no idea why they've haven't done a proper box set. After seeing the quality of the German "Early Years" transfers, it's really annoying that we're getting the likes of Waterfall Home Entertainment releasing poor quality DVDs when we know Carlton have much better source material available :frowning:

I've tried contacting Carlton in the past with no success, but I'll try again now that they're part of Granada International.

One of the things I noticed the other day is that the BFI web site lists Carlton as owning the rights to "The Pleasure Garden" ...now that would make a fantastic DVD!

DavePattern

Stunt Coordinator
Hiya John! :)

I've sent an email off to the best Granada address I could find, so I'll let you know if I get a response! I've also asked if they could clarify which of Hitch's British films they have the rights to.

By the way, there's a short clip of "Pleasure Garden" in the Carlton "Early Years" documentary that appears on their "39 Steps" DVD and also as an extra in the Concorde box set - the quality doesn't look too bad, and it's certainly better than either of the bootleg DVDs I've seen :emoji_thumbsup:

DavePattern

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Lars

It's well worth getting hold of - the transfer is similar quality to those in the "Early Years" set (there are screen grabs on my site).

I think Kinowelt and ArtHaus are the same company and they have also released "Foreign Correspondent", "Jamaica Inn" and "Suspicion" in Germany - I've not seen the quality of the transfers myself, but I've heard they are very good :emoji_thumbsup:

Once again - I can't wait for them to release "Murder!"/"Mary" :)

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Love your site Dave.

I've also got the Early Years set and the screen shots do not do it justice. That set looks very good, especially considering how old these films are. Highly recomended.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully we'll get a good quality set of early Hitchcock here in R1.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Is the silent version of Blackmail available anywhere in decent quality?
The first time I ever saw the film was at a film festival screening, and they had managed to get hold of the original silent version made before Hitchcock went back and refilmed the film with sound. While I liked the sound version, and was very impressed with the way Hitchcock used the soundtrack to develop the suspense (the knife scene, obviously), I would quite like to get a copy of the film as I originally saw it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks