What's new

Hitchcock releases (1 Viewer)

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I read that Wb had some Hitch films in the works for this year, but don't know which ones... Anyone know? I would like to fill in the gaps of the missing 40s and early 50s ones like Lifeboat, I Confess, and Dial M...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Lifeboat is a Fox property that will probably be a Studio Classics release late this year.

Warner's 7-film box set should be:

Dial M for Murder
Foreign Correspondent
I Confess
Suspicion
Stage Fright
The Wrong Man
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Michael:

I believe that is a yes. It may/will be eventually rereleased as part of the 2disc series.

MichaelO

Stunt Coordinator
Matt, thanks...that sounds pretty dang good, I have always been pretty fond of that particular Hitch movie.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
Thanks Brandon - that's exactly what I was wondering about. I thought for sure I remember Dial M out on disc, but for whatever reason didn't buy it at the time. I down Strangers on a Train, but haven't seen it in stores for a while. That disc has the US and British versions (sides A & B).

Also does anyone here have one of the old Hitch collections - the 20s and 30s films? - I have all of the Criterion ones available, but the others have cheap packagin and I dont know a lot about the companies releasing them to know if they are worth it.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The PD ones vary in quality from bad to slightly less bad, with the Laserlights usually being the best of a bad lot. Their status as PD titles is also questionable. I am crossing my fingers and hoping Criterion gets around to doing "The Man Who Knew Too Much", "Young and Innocent", "Blackmail", "The Lodger", and "Sabotage", if not all of them.

Regards,

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
RE: Strangers on a Train

They did say they were remastering it, but they also said that it wouldn't be released until at least 2005, which means it is not part of the 7-film set coming out this Fall.

Ali B

Second Unit
A few of the early Hitchcocks are available from Carlton in the UK. Their discs are generally pretty good, and includes the British Man Who Knew Too Much amongst others.

I'd be interested to see how the Warner's titles come out. Foreign Correspondent, Suspicion and Mr. and Mrs. Smith have all been released in Europe by Universal as part of their Hitchcock range. The transfers are up to the standard of the rest of the series, ie pretty good. They are bare bones releases though, so maybe Warners will come up with some nice bonus material.

ali

Seth--L

Screenwriter

I can't imagine that there will be enough supplements to warrant a second disc. Hopefully both the UK and US versions will be included using branching.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Well, just to replicate the content of the current disc, they are talking about 204 minutes to cover both versions of the film. Add a documentary and any other supplements, and a two disc set with at least one RSDL disc makes sense.

I don't think WB has authored a disc that uses branching yet.

Regards,

Seth--L

Screenwriter

I was suggesting that they should, which would make the most sense considering the differences between the two cuts amounts to about 2 minutes.

Actually, the region 2 releases of FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT, SUSPICION and MR AND MRS SMITH and actyally fairly weak - CORRESPONDENT is acceptable, but is in now way anything other than average - SMITH is pretty washed out and SUSPICION is sort of OK, except that a - gulp - "colorized" version is included.

On the Macguffin site they are saying that Laurent Bouzerau is doing the extras, which I haven't heard anywhere else - hope it's true!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks