What's new

Hitchcock fans-help! (1 Viewer)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Does anyone know if and when Paramount plans to release "To Catch a Thief" on DVD? As far as I'm concerned, they're sinning against nature every day that they sit on a Cary Grant/Alfred Hitchcock movie!!

-Lyle J.P.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Last rumor I heard was that Paramount was doing or planning "restoration" work on TCaT, which would certainly not be a sin. The earliest we will likely see a DVD is late this year or some time next year.
I haven't heard anything more specific about Paramount's restoration plans. TCaT was shot in VistaVision. If it results in it being viable for large format projection such as the VV to 70mm Vertigo project, I am willing to wait as long as it takes. If they are just assembling spruced-up prints from best available 35mm materials, then I want my DVD now. :)
Regards,

Adrian_N

Agent
A nicley restored version of TCaT would be awesome. I've been waiting for this movie since I first saw it a few years ago. I can't wait for DMfM as well.

Kelly W

Second Unit
I've been holding off buying the Hitchcock movies for so long due to the confusion with multiple studios, multiple releases of the same film, etc. I think it is time to take the plunge (well, at least the first dip). :)
There is one thing I want to clarify:
I understand that Universal has released FOUR boxed sets each including one disc of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I was expecting four EQUAL sets, but cannot find them. Are these the actual sets in question:
1. "Alfred Hitchcock Collection" - three discs
2. "Alfred Hitchcock Collection 2" - three discs
3. "Best of Hitchcock Volume 1" - eight discs
4. "Best of Hitchcock Volume 2" - eight discs ?
If so, then is it true that if I buy these four sets, I will get four DIFFERENT Alfred Hitchcock Presents discs, but I will also have two copies each of Vertigo, Psycho, Rear Window, and The Man Who Knew Too Much?
Has there even been a WHISPER that Universal is planning to release the AHP DVDs separately?
Thanks for your help!
-Kelly

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Has there even been a WHISPER that Universal is planning to release the AHP DVDs separately?
Nary a whisper, but lots of complaining and unfounded speculation (of which I have been an active participant). Someone even suggested Universal should do a box of just the AHP discs, but then people with any of the other boxes would still wind up buying a disc twice. :)
Regards,

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
I hope that when Warners releases "Dial 'M' For Murder," it has an option to watch the film in 3D (with glasses enclosed) -- I saw the re-release of the film in that format in the late 1970's/early 80's -- it was originally shot in 3D, and is just a blast in that format. Not a lot of things being thrown at the audience, but a couple of key shots and clues, plus the use of the depth of field is extraordinary.

Scott W.

Second Unit
I'd get: Rear Window, Psycho, North By Northwest, Vertigo and The Birds. These are my faves. Rope is cool too.

Scott

nousername

Supporting Actor
Are we ever going to see a Region 1, anamorphically enhanced version of "Vertigo"? It's a shame to have it restored and not have it at the highest possible quality on DVD...

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Are we ever going to see a Region 1, anamorphically enhanced version of "Vertigo"? It's a shame to have it restored and not have it at the highest possible quality on DVD...
If and when Universal reissues Vertigo with an anamorphic transfer, I hope they redo Psycho as well. It is indeed a shame that two of Hitchcock's greatest films are not anamorphic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks