What's new

Hitachi Plasma Buyer Beware (1 Viewer)

RichardCK

Grip
Hi all it's been a long time since i have posted anything here, but I just wanted to let any potential buyers know of the danger in this brand. I own 3 large screen t.v.'s one of them being a 50" Hitachi plasma. This has been the worst t.v. I have ever owned.
I purchased this T.V. last July, we moved into a new house and we decided that our new living room would be a better fit with a plasma that we could hang on the wall. The first time it went to the shop was in September for a bad power supply, it was in for 45 days being fixed,not because the repair company didn't have time to fix it, but because it took Hitachi that long to send the part to them.
Then at the beginning of December the T.V. goes out again call Hitachi and they said that it would need to go to the shop again. It is now going on 2 months and the parts wont be in until Feb 7th. I have talked to Hitachi and they wont do anything to speed up service or send a new T.V. I hope anyone in the market for a new T.V. think long and hard before purchasing this brand. I know I would never buy a Hitachi again. Should have stuck with Panasonic!

Jasen Chandler

Stunt Coordinator
I have in the last 18 months installed nearly 30 Hitachi plasma televisions ranging in size from 42"-55" the majority of them have been installed at an elevation of 6000' and not one of them has had any problems.

powerlord

Agent
Real Name
mark
I've heard buyer beware on just about every plasma out there except panasonic and pioneer.I bought a phillips 50 in. and the pic is stunning,and their service dept. is tits!There's lemons in every brand,I've had one in a samsung,a sony,a pioneer,xbox 360's in general.I wouldn't bash a whole company unless they are in the middle of a huge recall for poor manufacturing.I like the hitachi's myself.:)

RichardCK

Grip
Why not if a company wont stand behind their"crap" then why shouldn't I shout it from the roof top's? I am glad Phillips service is tit's buying a plasma from Phillips will surely mean you'll be using the warranty!

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I believe the OP is just trying to put out his experience out there. This forum values experience from fellow members, this is how we obtain information on certain products. The nice thing about posting something like this is that other members can reply to it, like Jason did contrasting the event. That is what makes this a great forum. Opinions r thrown in from all sides and the reader would be making his decision on his own.

RichardCK

Grip
Update:
I have now been given back my broken t.v. because hitachi has discontinued the production of the parts for this set. For the record it is a P50H401. So basically I paid $2000.00 for a broken set how nice is that. I guess it's time to go see my attorney.

Treker-1701

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay

Is it still under the warranty period? If so, I would think they would owe you a replacement TV of similar specs and performanace from their current line.

If it is not still under warranty, I was just wondering if you have contacted Hitachi directly, or if you have just worked through their service facility? Most companies work pretty hard to protect the integrity of their brand and will try to work with you to come to a reasonable solution if given a chance.

I personally would contact them directly and see what you can work out. Of course, document all of your communications just in case you have to contact an attorney in the end.

Good luck! And let us know how it works out.

Later,

Treker

RichardCK

Grip
Yeah its still under warranty. I have spent hours on the phone with Hitachi, they called me today and told me they were finally going to replace the t.v. They have tracked down a distributor that has one left and are going to send it to me. I am not sure why I would want a new piece of crap though. If this one fails and i am sure it will, what do they expect to do from there send it to the repair shop for 2 more months. I dont think so I am not even going to take it out of the box, craigslist here we go maybe I can recoup some of my loss and go buy a Panasonic or a Sony.

Treker-1701

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay

I'm glad to hear that Hitachi has finally agreed to replace your TV.

And you are doing exactly what I would do in your situation; sell it locally and go and buy a Panasonic or Samsung (if going Plasma) or a Sony if going LCD. If you are worried about the relaibility of the Hitachi, then you would probably never be happy with it in the long run anyway.

Later,

Treker

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
go for a pionner elite-pro-then you have a real plasma trust me it's worth the extra money-plus pionner has a 2 year warranty what does that tell you. i think pionner elite-fitjisu-ronco-nec plasmas are the way to go. i don't know if you remember goldstar, well that's samsung
if you buy panasonic you need to find a good lawyer. i am not saying these other units are all that bad, hitachi has always been one of my choices. it depends a lot how they are handled till they get to the consumer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks