What's new

Hitachi "Magic Focus"? (1 Viewer)

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
Is the Hitachi magic focus feature used to reallign guns? when my set arives, will this work instead of having a tech. come and calibrate them?

its a Hitachi 46F500.

10' throw (eye--screen)

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
It will align it to a degree but if you think it still needs a pro go ahead.I have the same set and after setting mine to the S&V HT tune up , Mine looks great But then again I have never seen any TV that has been set by a pro.
Eric

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Kyle Tippett,

I would go ahead and use the Magic Focus and then calibrate with Avia or VE. The Magic Focus will make some difference, but to truly tweak the set for all it's worth, you will need to get it ISF calibrated. I had my 51" Hitachi set ISF'd a few weeks back and it looks like a completely different (read: better-looking) set! Good luck...
;)

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
Eric - how high up is your set? is it on a stand? how high is the stand? for more background on my wuestions, check the thread called ! ! HELP ! !
you can really answer those questions for me.. you might need to sit on the floor if you dont have it on a stand.

thanks

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Magic Focus converges the three guns but in my experience it's not that great at doing a good job. I had found a document on here someone had typed up that explains how to get into the service menu and do it manually. I will see if I can dig it up!

Wes

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
It is on a stand made for that TV. I got it at CC and its about 2 feet tall. Hope this helps

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Here you go, Not sure who the author this. I had just made a copy and I think I layed it out a little different easier to read!

Manual Convergence for the Hitachi

1) Receive an NTSC signal.

2) Press Magic Focus to begin magic focus

3) Press magic focus again during the magic focus process to get the ‘stop’ screen

4) While stop screen is up, press STATUS or INFO on the remote control (R/C) to bring you to DCAM mode and the service grid (64 point grid)

5) When you first get in here… I believe red is the selected color by default (it is flashing).

6) To choose other colors to converge, use the following buttons on the R/C:
a) “STATUS” - Green
b) “0” - Red
c) “ANT” – Blue

7) Start from the center of the screen and work your way out on one color at a time. I adjusted red across the whole screen to match green. Then I switched to blue, and adjusted that to green as well. After you adjust blue, you may want to go back and adjust some red again… etc. until the convergence looks good.
(a) Use 4, 6, 2, and 5 on the R/C to move the cursor position(dotted lines).
(b) Use thumb stick to move the convergence point color.
** There have been other posts in here to tape together the color filters found in the Avia DVD to help converge lines more easily. I have used this method, and it works well for adjusting to a greater detail. Basically, you put the red filter next to the green and adjust your red to the green line both horizontally, and then vertically. Then you do the same with the blue next to the green. Some people recommended you should be at normal viewing distance. I did mine from just a few feet back from the set. Maybe my eyes aren’t as good… maybe I just felt like it worked better this way. There are some other posts also recommending using binoculars. I think it’s great that people suggest things to make the process easier… but my girlfriend would think I was insane if she saw me with binoculars on the couch adjusting the convergence. I don’t know… whatever works best I guess.

8) I did not adjust the green at all. I use the green as the guide and did not adjust the location of any green point. This is highly suggested unless you have geometry problems.

9) When going along the lines and adjusting, you may run into the problem of getting an ‘S’ curve on the line. You’ll know if you get there. Basically, no matter what you do to adjust the line to be converged, the middle of the line between the points will not straighten out (it bends between the points). To fix this, the manual recommends going to the (7x5) mode which gives you less points to adjust. I had this problem, and the solution worked. There is also another mode (3x3) which gives you even less points. Basically, if the set looks good, you only fine tune it in (13x9) mode (64 point). If you have serious problems, the grids work as:
3x3 – ‘coarse’
7x5 – ‘medium’
13x9 – ‘fine’

10) To get to each of these patterns use the following on the R/C: (only if you need to)
1. (3x3) Press “STATUS” 5 times (only works when DCU is in uncorrected state)
2. (7x5) Press “0” 5 times
3. (13x9) Press “ANT” 5 times

11) If you adjust the 3x3, then you should go to the 7x5, and then the 13x9. You get the point… depending on where you start, work your way up, and always finish on the 13x9

12) When finishing up the 13x9 mode, to get additional ‘grids’ on the edges of the screen, press the PIP CH button on the remote control while in the digital convergence adjustment mode (DCAM). Fine tune the edge convergence as necessary. To exit, press PIP CH again.

13) When convergence is acceptable, press PIP MODE to write data to ROM memory. ROM WRITE? is displayed to alarm system that ROM will be overwritten with new data. Press the PIP MODE button again to write displayed data to ROM.

14) DATA WRITE TO ROM will take approximately 4 seconds and no picture will be displayed.

15) Green dots will be displayed when operation is completed.
WARNING: YOU MUST DO THE FOLLOWING STEPS TO COMPLETE MAGIC FOCUS INITIALIZATION!!! THERE HAVE BEEN MANY POSTS THAT PEOPLE HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITHOUT DOING THIS STEP BECAUSE THEY LOOSE MAGIC FOCUS!

16) Press MUTE to return to convergence pattern, then confirm again convergence is acceptable.

17) Press PIP MODE and then PIP CH to initialize Magic Focus. The initialize operation starts and several windows appear during this operation. It takes about 30 seconds or less.

18) When green dots appear, initialize operation is finished.

19) Turn power OFF.

20) Wait a few seconds. Turn the TV on, and you should have your normal signal. Press Magic Focus button just to make sure the magic focus still works (and that you did the last few steps properly)

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
eric.. how far are you form it? could you gove me a rough estimate on how high your eyes are off the ground? and finally... does the picture look that worse while your sitting than when you kinda stand up to be perfectly in line wit the screen?

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Kyle
I am about 8 feet away & I would say eye level is about 4 feet high ( i'm guessing ). Yes If I stand up and move with in say 5 feet it does look distorted. Tell tell the truth If I had it to do over again I would have NOT bought a RPTV and just got a HDTV ready 36 in tube . The reason I went with a RPTv was that I already had a analog 36 inch and I wanted a bigger screen. My HT room is just not wide enough to place the TV so there is no bad spot in the room. Don't get me wrong ,I like the tv very much and adding premium component cables ( Rhino Cables ) It is the best picture I have ever seen. I have calibrated it myself using the S & V HT tune up. I don't think there is a Pro in my neck of the woods to tune it even if I had the money to have it done. Hope this helps and let me know if I can be of any other assistance.
Eric

Larry421

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
Hey Wes:

Got the guns lined back up with your help. I have 1 problem though. When I went to write data to ROM it gave me an " OVERFLOW ! ". Now when I press my magic focus button it gives my a black screen with some [+] in all 4 coners and 1 in the middle with red brackets. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks again, Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks