What's new

Hildi Santo-Tomas still must be stopped!!! (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Probably because the ceiling fans interfere with the canopy beds that they want to do all the time... :rolleyes

Jason

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Actually Lee, the entire wall was covered with moss. Maybe you are thinkin' of a different episode?
You're right, I remeber that one now. I was thinking about one where she did som ewall hanging basket or something, it is hard to keep TS and Changing Rooms apart after all these episodes. ;)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I were joking about signing up for the show.. then we thought.. "no, with our luck we'd get Hildi".

I'll let Hildi do whatever she wants as long as I get to do lots of woodworking with Amy Winn.
I'm almost with you on this... why do I find Amy so attractive.. is it the tool belt? That tough-girl look in those tank tops? Those short cargo shorts with the work boots? Is it the way she wields a circular saw so deftly? Or maybe the fact she can calculate fractions in her head?

I can't put my finger on it.

Bill Street

Stunt Coordinator
My favorite designers are Vern and Laurie. For some reason (probably having to do with her aversion of ceiling fans) I have seen many wonderful looking rooms Laurie has designed that the owners just *hate*. I mean that brown room was actually a great design.

I do find it funny when she blows $7-900 in advance on fabric though... (has she ever come in under budget?)

Bill S.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone watch this over the weekend? What the hell is going on with this new pretty boy carpenter? If this loser is replacing Ty or even worse, Amy, I'm gonna puke (insert Hildi joke here).

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I watched over the weekend and I have got to say that the room Hildi did for the soccer players wasn't that bad.
Yes I think it would have been bad if that room was done for an older couple but for two very young 20 somethings it was ok.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Let's get real, people. Kia makes Hildi look like a genius
I think Kia's problem is her imagination sometimes gets the better of her which leads to the infamous Graveyard house. I really loved her Egyptian theme (minus the fountain). Did you know that she really doesn't like to be physically touched? :confused:

My favorite is the fabulous Vern, followed by Laurie, Frank (reining in his Arts & Crafts side... Death to Pupolina the Pig!), Edward, Genevieve, Doug, Kia, then I'd let Paige, Amy Wynn, and Ty have a go at it with dead last... everyone's favorite crack head, Hildi!

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Hildi is insane. Kia is a worse designer though. What's her deal with borders? It's like she thought she needed a schtick, and all the good ones were taken so she settled on borders.

I have to say I like the new carpenter. Wynn rocks, but Ty was lame. Did you notice that he seems to mismeasure things in every episode? The new guy seems much more competent.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
My wife loves this show.

And this is what I know:

1) Vern is consistently excellent and polite. The best designer they have. He plays it safe to an extent, but ALL of his rooms are functional, attractive, and much better than what they were before.

2) Frank is the most artistic. He's also the most genial. I don't always like his rooms, but I've never seen a horrible one.

3) Hildi IS the worst. Attractive woman physcially, but with NO talent, no vision, and no manners.

4) Kia's stuff is also pretty bad, but she's much nicer than Hildi, so who cares?

5) We actually like Doug. I think they give him the whiny contestants just for fireworks. His stuff is usually excellent as well.

6) Gen does OK. But she is always wearing the same outfit.

7) Laurie sometimes hits a home run, and often doesn't. But she does have a vision.

8) Edward is a nice guy. His rooms are OK, nothing great or terrible.

9) I like both of the actual workhorses. I also prefer Amy because she's Amy, but Ty does make me laugh.

10) Paige is hot.

11) People who sign up and expect control are ignorant.

12) My balls are in the freezer next to the ravioli, with my wife's name on the bag.

Take care,
Chuck

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
My balls are in the freezer next to the ravioli,
Didn't Hildi do something similar to that on an episode? :D

Well, I took one for the team and went to the TS message boards. It seems this new carpenter is an "addition" and not a "replacement". :emoji_thumbsup:

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Hildi is exactly why I watch the original Changing Rooms on BBC America - because she's not on it!! :D

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Geez, you talk about mismeasuring things, you should see the Austrialian guy on While You Were Out. He messes things up about every other episode. He's terrible.

Ty's a big goofball so it's fun to watch him. Amy is Amy, always good to see her.

Paige is hot too and it was funny last weekend when she was calling Tracy "Stacey" in the new episode.

Bob

P.S. Yes, I agree Hildi is a freak but Kia is fairly close behind. Her earlier designs were weird but some of the last couple have been decent.

Vern is the man! (so to speak)

Lee L

Supporting Actor
They have put out a book called Trading Spaces: Behind the Scenes that I bought this weekend. Pretty good and it is current as well (they have the flower bathroom in there) It has sections about each of the designers, Paige, Ty and Amy. There are places that each designer talks about tips and tricks, citing rooms they have done and Hildi's cite the Flower Bathroom, The Straw Living Room and one other hideous creation I can't remember as good examples of what to do.

They go into the selestion process and how they try to match certain homeowners with certain designers (with ratings in mind no doubt). Also it is pretty apparent that everyone has lots of other stuff going on so maybe Amy and Ty just could be there for all the episodes this year.

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
Paige may be hot, but she is so freakin annoying! I can't stand her whining, nor her drama queen act.

As for designers, give me Vern (although I've felt he's dropped a couple of stink-bombs, he gets an A overall). Doug had some rooms at the beginning I didn't like, but some of his recent stuff has impressed me. Genevieve and Frank usually do okay (although their percentage of "stinkers" is much higher). Hildi and Kia... wow, words cannot descibe how bad some of their rooms are. Painted couches, swinging beds, circus tents, leaking pyramids.

One other thing: Is it just me or is no one else bothered by the fact that the designers wear the same clothes on day 1 and day 2? That's kind of disturbing.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
They wear the same clothes so that they can cut the episode together out of chronological order. There were some interesting articles a while back about the "behind the scenes" aspects of the show. Many revelations, including that much of the carpentry is done when trucks roll up, and that there is a large staff who does a lot of the work! It didn't lessen my enjoyment of the show, but all is not as it seems!

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
TV Guide had a behind the scenes story and it reported that Trading Spaces uses, along with the on-air team, a separate carpenter and seamstress that are never shown.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
TV Guide had a behind the scenes story and it reported that Trading Spaces uses, along with the on-air team, a separate carpenter and seamstress that are never shown.
Yuppers, Ty and Amy Wynn have assistants and the 'seamstress' would be our beloved Edward when not before the camera. He was originally hired to be the head of Sewing World way back at the start of S1. In S3, when the decision was made to expand the number of episodes (thus requiring more decorators) he decided to try out for the show.

The behind-the-scenes book is well worth a read (I checked it out from my library).

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
I bought the book for my wife as a gift, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. That makes sense about the need to have them wear the same clothing for episode cutting. Let's just hope they have 2 sets of the same clothes or they're getting washed... :D

I did assume that "homework", which is never shown, was being shared by interns and or the designers and carpenters. There were just too many times that the work to be done was more than 2 people could accomplish in a night, and it was never shown.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks