What's new

Highlights of Worldwide Developer Conference 2008 Keynote 6/9/08 (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Looking at the Apple web site, looks like they've updated the calendar app to use the color-coded categories as found in iCal. Nice.

But shockingly, still no syncing of Notes, and there still doesn't appear to be any ToDo/Task support. These are two of the most requested features, and they're absolutely basic for a smartphone. Apple's going to get raked over the coals for continuing to leave these out.

ErichH

Screenwriter

Think we'll see a VCommand on the app store? We'll need an app for GPS voice as well. I can use the gps, but I'm not interested in reading tiny text while I drive. I need the iPhone to talk me through my local trips to new clients.

These are obvious things Apple could have included, but they like the idea of 10 indies vs 1 of their own. They'll see lots of competition for the same apps and make 30% on the lot.

Hopefully the next 30 days will be filled with software previews.

The BOOM is the App Store, not the device.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Here's an interesting point made by TUAW:

3G iPhone 8GB: $199; iPod Touch 8GB: $299
3G iPhone 16GB: $299; iPod Touch 16GB: $399

Surely iPod Touch prices will be reduced by July 11???

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Of course there will be, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a BASIC function (see Palm OS 1.0 from 10 years ago) and should be in the base iPhone feature set.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith

Those prices are with a cell phone contract. Although we don't know the exact figures it is generally believed Apple is getting a slice of that recurring monthly fee.

With the Touch, Apple has to make profit on the initial sale since there is no guaranteed future revenue from it.

-Keith

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
OK, this is from early in Engadget's liveblog post from the keynote (quoting Steve):
But the "sneak peak" at Snow Leopard didn't happen!! And according to TUAW, there was some info on SL posted on the Apple site which has now been taken down.

What's going on here? This is very un-Apple like.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
True, but it's a reversal of the current situation where the iPhone is more expensive than it's Touch equivalent. This is about perceived value. Unless those prices drop, the iPod Touch is just going to look like a bad deal.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Well, since this is the second WWDC in a row and about 4 keynotes in a row if you count MWSFs that hasnt been F-all about the MAC, well yeah I guess those of us who really care about mac development should just STFU and let the iPod brain melt complete. Lets get rid of those Mac Pros completely shall we? =)

I'm only being half serious but Apple has really dropped the ball on the hardware side of things. They have way too many resources going to the iPhone and far too few going to their crown jewel OS. They seriously need to beat Microsoft to Multitouch on the desktop and I guess BluRay on anything is a dead issue. As a photographer and videographer I'm DISGUSTED that you cannot get a high definition recording device for this platform. There's not even the possibility of hooking anything HDMI up to ANY mac platform. These are WWDC issues but they are 3 years+ late on them so it obviously isnt a concern for Apple and that very much concerns me.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sam,

You can't buy an external Blu-ray burner for Mac and burn
things to it using Toast?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I agree that this stuff is needed, but I just don't think Apple sees BluRay & HDMI as WWDC/Developer issues. I put these in the same category as the much overdue display updates. This stuff needs to happen soon, but WWDC is the last place I'd expect 'em.

As far as ignoring the OS, well last year's WWDC was all about Leopard. But I think you're right about their resources being stretched too thin.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
The only thing I can think of is if he was referring to another session and just didn't make it clear.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It probably meant a separate session outside of the keynote address.

Blu

Screenwriter
I'm holding off on upgrading. I don't have a 3G network access right now as Oklahoma City and Tulsa are the only cities in Oklahoma that do.

I know the area pretty well so GPS is useless to me. I was hoping for at bare minimum a 32 gig version and I would have been right there in line!

No 32 gig version....eh...I can afford to wait for one with larger storage capability.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
OK, some annoucements from AT&T (via AppleInsider):

* The unlimited data plan for 3G iPhone users is increasing to $30/month (it's currently $20). Boo.

* The revenue sharing deal with Apple is dead. They've revised their agreement with Apple to be more like the standard carrier/manufacturer agreement. They say this is why they can offer the new iPhones at prices similar to other smartphones. Translation: because AT&T is no longer paying Apple a cut of their monthly fees, they can afford to subsidize the phone.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
AppleInsider (among other sites) has the Snow Leopard scoop. Highlights:

* "Grand Central" - tech that allows developers to more easily utilize multi-core CPUs.

* OpenCL - tech that allows developers to tap the power of GPUs in any app (not just graphics-related).

* Raise RAM limit to a theoretical 16TB (Drool....)

* Quick Time X (I guess we won't see QT 8 or 9)

* Exchange 2007 support integrated into Mail, iCal, Address Book

Obviously not much for the average user to get excited about. As was rumored, the goal of SL is to "to enhance the performance of OS X, set a new standard for quality and lay the foundation for future OS X innovation". Scheduled to ship in about a year.

Of course, no mention of price at this point, but I would be very surprised if Apple chose to charge the normal $129 for this.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The improvements may enable some complex applications to perform well enough on current (and near-future) hardware. That will be worth it to some.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks