What's new

Highlander (1 Viewer)

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
I found a great deal online that reduces the average cost per season down to $15 (on DDD), but this would be a total blind buy for me.

Any info/recommendations on the show would be great.

Here are a few TV shows that I love (just to give you a feel for the genres I like)

Farscape
Babylon 5
Buffy
BSG (new one)
Stargate SG1
Oz
Sopranos
The Shield
Star Trek TNG
Star Trek DS9
Robin of Sherwood

Andy

if200

Agent
Real Name
Diane
Bought all six season on the last sale. Season six was week and short, but given the promotion what the heck. Was not a great fan of the movies but loved the series. The last movie was one of the worst things I have ever seen.

Hard to go wrong at that price. Since they have had the promotion before and will probably again, you might just want to buy seasons 1 and 2 to see if you like it.

Good luck.

Will_C

Second Unit
Real Name
Will
Seasons 1 and 2 sort of set the tone and give you a good background, but in my opinion, the series starts to explode in season 3. I loved them all, even the final season (full of beautiful female immortals, Sandra Hess rocks :D). But you won't regret getting 3, 4 and 5. Enjoy!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I'm a big fan of probably half the shows on your list, and liked the Highlander episodes I saw, but was bugged by catching them out of order given the way the build from year to year and within seasons. The last time DDD had this sale I essentially blind-bought the whole thing (not knowing if they'd ever repeat the promotion.) I immediately loaded the first 4 seasons into my 400 disc Sony DVD changer, setting aside the last to for later. (Which now means much later because I forgot and boxed them up with a bunch of other stuff from my bedroom and that won't get unpacked until the new paint and carpet go in sometime next month. :))

I've watched straight through the first three seasons and have started S4 and am having a blast. Considering that I got all six for less than the cost of one season at the original retail price, I thought it was worth taking a chance on. But if you're a "fast watcher" you could easily order the first two sets, watch at least season one, and then order the rest before the sale is over.

Glad I saw this thread. Have to remind a friend of mine who missed the last sale. (Kept going back and forth about buying them and finally decided to go for it the day after the sale ended. :))

Regards,

Joe

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
I just bought out last week...I remember watching it in syndication, but just a few episodes here and there.

The fact that you can get the entire series for less than the original retail price, seems like a steal of a deal to me.

I wonder why the hercules sets are priced so much lower though, I'd hate to find the next DDD anchor bay sale with all the highlanders at 17.99 like hercules is :) lol

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I suspect the Hercules sets have always carried a lower list and wholesale price, so I doubt that is going to happen. Even if they are offered at a lower price later, I still got a heck of a bargain and have had months to enjoy the discs, so I'm happy. :D

Regards,

Joe

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
I really liked this show. It did have it's flaws and like every show some episodes were better than others. The first handful of episodes of season one were definitely not the strongest of the bunch, but as the series went on, I think the producers really seemed to figure out what to do with the show. By season two it started to hit it's stride. By that time, I think they had done a good job with MacLeod's backstory and were able to really come up with good stories. The budget for the show probably increased quite a bit because the production and special effects got better as well. Seasons three and four were probably the best. They're all good though and I recommend them. One other thing they got better at later on was showing where his sword kept coming from!! In some of the early episodes it was pretty odd that his sword would just appear when he needed it.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
Quick question. I ended up ordering the 6 seasons.

Could someone take a quick peak for me and tell me how many DVDs are person season.? Amazon lists 9 discs for some seasons, but that seems to many to me. Did some seasons include a disc of nothing but extras?

I am asking so that I can buy the proper size cases to put these in. I found some nice covers online that I am going to use.

Thanks

Andy

Laura Nicholson

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Andy

Season 1: 9 Discs
Season 2: 8 Discs
Season 3: 8 Discs
Season 4: 9 Discs
Season 5: 9 Discs
Season 6: 8 Discs

Anchor Bay likes to use a lot of discs for their season sets. :)
Xena and Highlander have similar disc counts.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
In most of the sets they put 3 episodes and some extras on each disc, instead of the typical four episodes. The number of episodes also varies a bit between seasons, so the disc count isn't uniform.

Regards,

Joe

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

something is still not right. There is no way there are 22 episodes spread over 9 discs for season 1.

I am pretty sure they are likely spread over just 8 discs, including extras and the 9th one must be something special.

Laura, can you look inside your season 1 set and see what is on disc 9? I have a feeling its not episodes.

Andy

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor
Never mind, I found the info online. Disc 9 looks to be a special disc as I suspected. I bet all of the 9 disc sets may be like this.

THE DVDS:

Here are the contents of each DVD.

Disc 1

Episode 1: The Gathering - Connor McLeod returns to "pass the torch" to kinsman Duncan McLeod as he helps Duncan prepare for a deadly Immortal who's set sites on Duncan's head.

Episode 2: Family Tree - Richie searches out for his long lost father and runs afoul of a con man and the mob enforcer sent to collect from him. Can McLeod save him in time?

Episode 3: The Road Not Taken - When Richie's friend dies from an apparent drug O.D., McLeod suspects an old Immortal friend of his.

Disc 2

Episode 4: Innocent Man - McLeod searches out an Immortal who took the head of a good friend.

Episode 5: Free Fall - McLeod trains a "new" immortal woman. All is not as it seems though.

Episode 6: Bad Day in Building "A" - Highlander goes Die Hard as McLeod takes on a bunch of criminals who have taken a courthouse hostage.

Disc 3

Episode 7: Mountain Men - McLeod goes Survivor when Tessa's kidnapped by a bunch of survivalists in the mountains.

Episode 8: Deadly Medicine - A psychotic surgeon takes McLeod prisoner to study his miraculous healing powers.

Episode 9: The Sea Witch - Richie helps an ex-girlfriend outrun the drug dealers whom she double-crossed.

Disc 4

Episode 10: Revenge is Sweet - A master swordswoman seeks revenge on McLeod for the death of her (Immortal) lover whom she believes McLeod killed.

Episode 11: See No Evil - McLeod searches out a serial killer who patterns his killings after an Immortal McLeod beheaded in the 1920s.

Episode 12: Eyewitness - Tessa's life is endangered after she witnesses a murder by an Immortal who's "above the law."

Disc 5

Episode 13: Band of Brothers - McLeod's old friend Darius sends warning that a deadly Immortal, clearly beyond McLeod's league, is coming for McLeod's head.

Episode 14: For Evil's Sake - McLeod takes on Kuyler, the Immortal Assassin, who's one-upped McLeod a few times in the past.

Episode 15: For Tomorrow We Die - McLeod takes on Xavier St. Cloud, an Immortal killer with poison gas and no regard for mortal lives.

Disc 6

Episode 16: The Beast Below - A "beast-like" Immortal is threatening Richie's new girlfriend. Can McLeod save her?

Episode 17: Saving Grace - McLeod comes to the aid of Immortal Dr. Grace Chandel, an old-flame, who's being stalked by her Immortal ex-husband.

Episode 18: The Lady and the Tiger - Will Amanda, an old friend and lover of McLeod's, sacrifice his head to save her own?

Disc 7

Episode 19: Eye of the Beholder - Richie falls for a model who's associated with a beauty obsessed Immortal who will do anything to collect and keep beautiful things, including killing Richie.

Episode 20: Avenging Angel - McLeod takes on a new Immortal who believes he is on a Holy Mission to destroy all sinners.

Episode 21: Nowhere to Run - McLeod and the gang must defend the arrogant and maladjusted son of Tessa's friend who is accused of raping the step-daughter of a dangerous Immortal.

Disc 8: Episode 22 and Extras

Episode 22: The Hunters - Season Finale. MacLeod and Fitzcairn investigate the recent disappearances of several Immortals and uncover a deadly plot.

THE DVD EXTRAS

By far, this set clearly has one of THE best DVD extras packages you'll ever see.

COMMENTARY AND NOTES

ALL EPISODES include commentary from producer Bill Panzer and "Watcher" notes. The producer commentary provides great insight into the situations surrounding each episode production including location, special FX or the actors and actresses. The "Watcher" notes gives additional background and provides more insight into "Highlander" canon with reference to events and characters. In all, these two features alone make purchase of the DVD well worth it. BUT, there's more...

BLOOPERS

Disc 8 includes the "Highlander Blooper Reel." Nearly 20 minutes of stunts gone wrong, lines flubbed and other hilarious outtakes featuring our favorite "Immortal" stars.

BEHIND THE SCENES

This is the half hour documentary used to promo the series before it debuted in 1992. Like most "behind the scenes" features we get the standard on-location footage and interviews with the cast and production crew.

THE SCRIPTS

Disc 9 includes the finalized shooting scripts for ALL 22 episodes in season one. The scripts are presented in Flash format. The scripts are a Highlander completist's dream as it includes all the lines and all the stage directions.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, the Highlander: The Series DVDs are some of the best TV discs ever produced, extras-wise -- not only are you getting every last final shooting draft (invaluable for film scholar-types who want to observe the script-to-screen process), but all the commentaries, video commentaries, introductions, documentaries, and everything else simply hit a wonderful critical mass for a show like this.

My favorite supplement, though:

The "Watcher Chronicles" pieces for every single episode...sweet as hell in-universe continuity information that's 100% canonical (for Highlander continuity-junkies), and which frequently includes backstory material that got cut from the finished episode for running-time purposes or what-have-you.

Great fucking sets all around.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

Are the "Watcher Chronicles" spoiler free for future episodes or as a first time watcher should I avoid the extras?

Andy

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Hmmm...yes and no, though most of the content focuses upon the past histories of the Immortal in question, not the final outcome of that specific episode. You can go through most of them rather safely, though if you've read the episode premise and feel unsure, I'd hold off until afterward.

As an example, one of my favorite cool revelations from the "Watcher Chronicles":

The character of Horton (from Season 2 onward) was the Kurgan's watcher from 1975 until the events of the 1986 film.

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
Mine just came today. It seems DDD shipped by UPS Ground instead of the slow media mail for nocharge. Cool beans.

Season 6 is only 13 episodes but is still 8 discs....But for seasons 5 and 6 they put overlapping double trays, therefore the boxes for the first 4seasons are nearly twice as large....

BTW season 6 has:
1st disc - 3 episodes
2nd disc -3 episodes
3rd disc - 3 episodes
4th disc - 2 episodes
5th disc - 2 episodes and extras
6th disc- extras
7th disc - extras
8th disc - cd rom w/ scirpts bios production notes etc

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

I don't think you understood my question. I might have worded it poorly.

If I watch an episode and then AFTER watching that episode, view the Watcher Chronicles for just that episode in question, will it possibly spoil a FUTURE episode I have not seen?

Andy

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Oh, it's cool...I see what you're saying now. ;) Basically, though, no -- you can pretty much go into them at will, without worrying about future-episode spoilers; they're mostly pertinent to the immediate episode in question.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks