What's new

High-Speed Internet - Never knew how good it can get... (1 Viewer)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Peter using that first test link I got 3.2 megabits per sec and 1969 kbps down and 356 up on the second link. That first link is located in san antonio and I'm in austin so I'm sure that played a HUGE part in the high rate. But then again I'm convinced I'm the only one in my neighborhood with a cable modem. The speeds have been faster since I moved out of my apartment.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Why is high-speed Internet access so expensive in the US? In Sweden...
It's also cheaper in Japan as well as Sweden IIRC. It's because the infrastructure that is needed to run broadband in smaller countries is much easier to set up and therefore less expensive. Oh well... Just 1 less thing the other countries have to complain about on their monthly bill.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Well I went the other way cable back to modem.

Except for downloading video don't miss cable modem at all.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Startling to see old threads brought back from the dead...anyway, Mike, while I don't see speeds close to that, I'm still very pleased with my cable broadband. My speeds have remained pretty constant at 2.2 mb/s down and 256 kb/s up. I'm afraid I'm doomed to $46/month internet bills.
I actually spend less time on the internet as a result of the increased speed and efficiency. However, I've not yet tried online gaming, so who knows how deep my addiction runs, Joe. ;)

LewB

Screenwriter

My cynical guess would be cable de-regulation. They are charging what they figure they can get away with before they start losing customers due to the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks