What's new

High paying careers? (1 Viewer)

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Go work in the offshore industry.

1. you get paid hourly, with overtime if you work over 40 hours a week, and since you work 7 days a week typically 12 hours a day your pulling lin lots of moeny

2. while your working you really have no expenses, your room and food are paid for and you can't go out and spend money since your offshore

3. pay is generally pretty good even for the easiest tasks, like being part of the stewards department. Obviously the more difficult a position ais the more you get paid.

4. you typically only work 1/2 to 3/4 of the year, the rest of the time you have to yourself, and if you want some companies have a shoreside area where you might be able to come and work at while your off your hitch, therefore making more money.

Working offshore out of a 4 year engineering college you should be able to make $60,000 a year easily.

The other line of work you could do is go to a class and learn Drafting, with a 3-d Modeling program and contract yourself out at over $30 an hour with overtime. I know several guys that aren't very good at it that make $35 an hour with overtime and pull in over $120,000 a year. people are always looking for drafters/designers.

Just a couple of ideas.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
What are some high paying careers?
Here are some answers based on my experience with wealthy people:

1. Investment Banking - I worked on Wall Street for many years and generally found most people there to be superficial a**holes to be honest. Low quality lifestyle.

2. Management Consulting - I found this very rewarding personally.

3. Entrepreneur/Business Owner - the most fun and the most risk. Hard to execute once one is married with kids. Lots of opportunity out there right now.

4. Real Estate - particularly commercial can be a path to the good life. Must have strong sales skills and creative financial problem solving/deal structuring.

All involve a strong education generally and lots of hard work, and a degree of stress.

Here are some professions my friends have that appear to be unsatisfying to them:

1. Attorney. Less money than expected. Boring work for most specialties.

2. Physician. Less money than expected. Real upside in helping people get better. Many people enter this field for the money as someone hinted earlier.

3. Airline Pilot. Terrible lifestyle. No job security. Impossible industry.

I might also add I know some very happy jazz musicians and teachers who make almost no money but really are having fun.

I think you need to find something you are passionate about and then go from there. In this country (and many others), going to the best schools is very important. I have found that mentors can be very valuable as can becoming active in community activities.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Quite a few people, finding that the IT industry has tuned to s**t (unless you live in Delhi) are using their redudancy money to retrain in a trade.

Plumbing is a popular one. Long hours, often physically demanding and yet rewarding (I hear). It takes FIVE YEARS to become a fully qualified plumber in the UK but most are now having to turn work down because their days are full. A good plumber can easily make £50k+ a year and there's been lots of stories of people making £100k+ in the same trade.

Plastering is also a trade that is seeing a resurgance. This is a finely skilled job and there's no bullshit about it either (unlike IT). You're either good and successful, or crap and unemployed, but the financial rewards are good once you get a name for yourself. Problem is, most 'good' plasterers have been working for several years before they're able to run their own business. It just takes that long before you're good enough.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Highest paying occupation: Physician

Highest net worth individuals: Business owners

Any job that pays well will require hard work, but not every job that requires hard work pays well.

Some are front-loaded - like physician. years of schooling and sacrafice befire you start to earn.

Others are risky, like business owner.

My advice would be to not make any hasty judgements on a career (ala accounting is boring post) before you actually SPEAK with someone who is in that business.

Most occupations have a high-income niche - if you can find it and fill you will be financially rewarded. Pick one you love or else the hard work will be dreadful.

Try speaking with physicians, accountants, lawyers, real estate agents, stock brokers, business owners. You'll be suprized just how fun accounting may be....

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I do Tech support at IBM
You don't happen to do compiler support for the AIX version of the Visual Age CC++ compiler, do you? If so, I realize why you hate your job (because you probably have a thousand engineers who want to strangle you on a daily basis, and I'm one of those thousand) :D

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Government can pay very well if you have a top job (not including money from lobbyists). Elected officials also can get paid quite a bit, often for a number of hours that amounts to a part time job. There are also lots of freebies that come with the job (thanks to the tax payers) for both, such as a free car, free cell phone, free blackberry, free laptop, and free food.

Walt N

Second Unit

I'll give you two and three, but not one. That all depends on what airline you work for and your relative seniority. I haven't met anyone yet I'd trade jobs with, however keep in mind I've never met Hugh Hefner.;)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
I decided to go the business owner route. Our economy is in the crapper, so no one's hiring anyway. Plus the idea of working for someone else all my life doesn't appeal to me very much. I'm ATTEMPTING to earn money while doing something I enjoy: Developing computer games. Hopefully the first one will sell decently enough to allow me to pay the bills while working on a hopefully better-received sequel. Hey, if "Deer Hunter" could outsell Quake, then anyone can get in on the game ;)

Right now I'm working on a kids-oriented platform game that, while not exactly my cup of tea, will hopefully turn into a profitable series, freeing me to take on whatever project I truly care about. Or simply allowing me to live a life of decadent leisure :D

Is that totally horrible? I'm selling out right out of the gate. But hey, if it all works out, I'll use my powers for good :D

And aside from the "horrible" part, is it a bit naive? Thinking I can develop "market friendly" games to make money and then be free to dedicate myself to un-commercial projects few people will care about?

James~P

Stunt Coordinator
thats something along the lines of what i was planning on doing.

get a job that i can stand, that pulls in decent money, while still finding one or two nights a week that i can spend on playing guitar in a little gig band or something.

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
Business ownership is another big payoff, bigger than any job and usually more than most professionals. Just remember there's more work you gotta put in for that extra dolla.
True. Nobody ever gets filthy rich working for someone else.

Greg

Cary_H

Second Unit
Alot of the professions mentioned previously can make you a rich man, but many of these demand you have the "makeup" to succeed. Many folks don't have the work ethic, the smarts, and/or the hunger for wealth, that seperates the men from the boys.
Back to the original question. I concur with the pharmacy thing posted earlier. I recall hearing lately that Canadian and U.S. schools are graduating numbers far below the current demand and projections for the future. Canadians are leaving well paying jobs here, for those below the line paying ludicrous wages.
As for engineers.....just look at the educations of many of the CEOs at the top in big business. This is where the ugly money is at.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'll give you two and three, but not one. That all depends on what airline you work for and your relative seniority. I haven't met anyone yet I'd trade jobs with
Hook a brother up then. I can't even find a PART TIME CFI gig :frowning:

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I'd like to offer one bit of advice: I recently read a book entitled "Quarterlife Crisis" (can't remember the authors' names) and it helped me out a lot. In short, the authors argue that although much has been written about those in their 50's (the typical mid-life crisis stage), almost nothing has been written to discuss the life changes and stressful times of people in their early-adulthood stage of life. The authors provide countless examples of people who graduated with various types of degrees and how they ended up doing something that they never imagined previously. It helped me because I am close to graduating with my doctorate and have been somewhat regretting the decision I have made to pursue my graduate degree, largely due to the heavy financial burden associated with earning it. I love my field and it pays well, however, I still think about what my life would be like had I chosen to enter another field that didn't require such a high education level. For example, my brother did nothing but be a complete idiot from age 18 to 28 when he started selling real estate. During his first year he made $80,000 and has never earned less than that amount since. Sometimes I wish I would have done something else professionally, and this book ensured me that I wasn't alone. I have faith that I will do very well in my field and will continue to enjoy it, however, I guess I will always wonder "what if?"

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Oops...Just realized I posted my previous message in the wrong thread. I intended to post it in the "Anyone leave IT and start a career in another field?". Sorry!

Walt N

Second Unit

Sorry to hear that, it can be really tough. Things were bad in the industry when I got started too, so I worked as a waiter for a year and a half while knocking on the same doors every week to find that first lousy CFI job. Out of my grad class at school only about 10% made it to an airline, but everyone who didn't give up did make it. If you hang in there your timing might be right for the next upswing in hiring. Gonna be awhile, but it will come. It always does.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks