What's new

HIGH NOON on 6/10 from LionsGate? (1 Viewer)

DanMel

Second Unit
Barrie Maxwell over at digital bits states that Lions Gate themselves have informed him that this version of High Noon will have the restored print of the film on it, so I am not sure how much higher you can go for a source:

Barrie Maxewell posting on Lionsgate:

"One wonders about the thinking processes over at Lionsgate. With the entire Republic catalogue at its disposal, the only release of an American classic title it can come up with (and that it hasn’t released before) is Tobor the Great (1954) on May 13th. On May 27th, Lionsgate will also release The World War Collection, containing Angels One Five [1954, with Jack Hawkins], The Captive Heart [1946, with Michael Redgrave], King and Country [1964, with Dirk Bogarde], and The Sound Barrier [aka Breaking the Sound Barrier, 1952, with Ralph Richardson]). A two-disc edition of High Noon (1952) is set for a June 10th release and Lionsgate indicates it will feature Paramount’s restoration of the title. As part of a new line called the Celebrity Series, Lionsgate will release the Sophia Loren Collection on June 10th. Included are: Carosello Napoletano (1954), Attila (1954), Madame Sans-Gene (1962), and I Girasoli (1970). A Catherine Deneuve Collection due on the same date will include Manon 70 (1968) as well as later films - Le Sauvage (1975), Hotel des Ameriques (1981), Le Choc (1982), and Fort Saganne (1984)."

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
Apologies if this has been mentioned before but I see that Lionsgate will be releasing a 2-disc set of High Noon on 6/10 that has a lot of supplemental material with it. As a long time favorite I'll be buying it but was wondering if there has been any restoration, etc. to the movie itself. Sadly, there are no plans for a Blu ray release.

Brad

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Brad,
I merged your post into this thread. You will find some of previous posts helpful in answering your question.

Crawdaddy

Greg Hoffman

Auditioning
For me this cannot be the "Ultimate" edition as it is missing the incredible commentary by Howard Suber that can only be found on the Criterion laserdisc.

Cincinnati Kid

Auditioning
Real Name
Leslie Schradin
Hello,

I've seen on the TCM site that the June 10 release for High Noon Ultimate will be 'widescreen'. Is this possible for a 1952 film release? Anyone have an inside track on this?

Thanks.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The movie was filmed in 1951 and in 1.37:1 aspect ratio. The site is in error.

Crawdaddy

Cincinnati Kid

Auditioning
Real Name
Leslie Schradin
Any new word on the whether this release is an improvement on the image quality vs. the prior releases?

What about a restoration release of The Quiet Man? I had understood that it was in the works.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

The new 'High Noon' transfer is vastly superior to every other iteration. There has been absolutely no news on 'The Quiet Man'. I wish.

BTW, I understand that around four minutes of footage, cut from the new documentary on the latest 'High Noon' release, may be released via the internet.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If John Wayne was so powerful and could threaten to blacklist other great actors like Gary Cooper then how come he couldn't come up with the cash to buy "The Gunfighter" script which was written with him in mind as Jimmy Ringo?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Sorry Robert, I don't understand your point; it's generally accepted that by 1950 Wayne was not only one of the hottest properties on the planet, but that he also became very politically active.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My point is very clear, I don't think Wayne had enough power to threaten Gary Cooper another film icon. The news about Wayne being a staunch anti-communist is well established, but I find it hard to believe that he had enough pull to hurt Gary Cooper in the film industry. Furthermore, if Hawks was so powerful, how come he took off for Europe for so many years and directed not one film before he came back to direct Rio Bravo? No where am I saying that both Wayne and Hawks weren't very political in their views, but being political doesn't mean you have the power to hurt another film icons career. All of these accusations after these men are dead and aren't around to defend themselves just doesn't seem right to me.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ah, I see. Clearly Paramount, who commissioned the doco, were also concerned (presumably for a number of reasons), hence the cuts. Personally, I think they were the best of times, and they were the worst of times...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Than what of Elia Kazaan, Walt Disney and countless others prominent Hollywood figures who testified before the HUAC and destroyed many careers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks