What's new

high definition (1 Viewer)

ed levy

Auditioning
Could someone please explain the difference between high def ready and high def compatible. Thanks in advance

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I think High Definition eady and Compatible both mean the same thing: The display device can accept and sync to a "high definition" signal from an outboard source- but do not contain an internal HD tuner.

This just means you'd need an outboard HD tuner to get over the air HD feeds... or a HD source like a DirectTV box or DVHS machine.

-Vince

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Ready has a Tuner/Decoder built in, compatible means you have to have a source that has component outputs and already decodes the signal, (e.g. a tuner box, satellite tuner, or CATV box.)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Are you sure? I was under the impression "Ready" was always the term for sets with no tuner, but HD ability... and lately "Compatible" seems to have been interchanged.

I'd love to hear someone else chime in on this.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Vince is correct. HD-ready, HD-compatible, and HD-upgradeable all mean the same thing: the unit will accept and display high def signals when fed decoded HD material. if you buy a unit that is HD-ready, you will need an outboard HD tuner or decoder in order to see the full HD signal, since it is not built in. i believe the tuner inside the TV only tunes NTSC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks